Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: International Superstar Soccer Deluxe

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Thumbs up

Okay, okay ... now I see the folly of my ways. After reading Bottino rave about how great this game is, I finally decided to snag a copy of this game in order to eperience it for myself. After several weeks of allowing this game to gather dust on my shelf (Shame, shame on me!), I finally decided to play this game yesterday night. I had just finished a playthrough of Altered Beast and Golden Axe and was looking for one last game to end the night of celebrating the 25th anniversary of the SEGA Genesis. That game was Internation Superstar Soccer Deluxe and boy oh boy did this game not disappoint! It's a fantastic game that is audibly and visually appealing through and through!

I can't say that I disagree with the reviewer's statement where he states:
    ISS Deluxe combines the arcade feeling of Sensible Soccer with the more realistic sprites of FIFA Soccer, and still manage to have its own unique touch. It is the typical Konami-touch, meaning you’ll at some point in the game feel like a happy and innocent kid again.
    I got my @55 handed to me in each match that I played but I enjoyed every minute of it! This game packs a good challenge and maintains a fun but exciting atmosphere! After playing this game, it's hard to fathom that this title was released on the Megadrive. I can only imagine how this game plays with 8 players. In the end, I am really glad that this excellent game is part of my gaming library!
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Road Rasher

top game

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

Will the pal cart run on a US genesis? It looks similarly shaped in all the auctions I see... I want this game...

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    Will the pal cart run on a US genesis? It looks similarly shaped in all the auctions I see... I want this game...
    Yes. It's the only Konami Mega Drive game without region protection, I suppose because it wasn't really handled by Konami Japan and because of being released so late.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

Oh snap.. going to buy this up!!!

Wildside Expert

Actually I think this cartridge sucks. First there is no stereo sound even if you select it in the menu. Proved on my Mega Drive II. NO STEREO SOUND. Even when offered in the menu. That sucks. Second no game save. I mean are they kidding me? Does anyone actually think that a person will bother writing down tons of nonsence codes when even the old 8bit computers from 1980 always offer normal ways of SAVING data? There is no excuse for this especially that this is the late release from mid 90s. That sucks. And third, the gameplay is still much worse than the only acceptable Mega Drive soccer game for me - Head On Soccer. The pace is slowish, playground and players far too big, AI not that great, ball tends to be lost to nowhere far too often. Lacks completely the appropriate level of Head On Soccer and NHL series. Yes, I mean NHL not FIFA. FIFA is a pure disaster. I only keep that cartridge because I think FIFA 98 was the last game ever released for the Mega Drive.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M. View Post
    the only acceptable Mega Drive soccer game for me - Head On Soccer
    Hey, if you like Head On Soccer that much, come beat it! It's one of only two NTSC soccer games left.

From the PAL list, International Soccer Star Deluxe is also unbeaten, but I'm guessing you don't want to take that one on.

Here it is, the germ of what was to become the current Pro Evolution Soccer series. And while nowadays it's considered a more realistic simulator in contrast to the more arcadey FIFA, at the time ISS Deluxe was the most coin-op like footy game on the MD (we didn't have a Football Champ (Taito) or a Super Side Kicks (SNK)).
    Big and pretty sprites, nice sound, fast enough action (this is no Sensible Soccer, though) and lots of the basic characteristics that still show up on PES games were already here. Konami tried to do something new and did it, creating one of the best and most forgotten sports games on all the MD catalog.

Thread Information