Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early impressions of Doom 32X

Default Early impressions of Doom 32X

So I was watching the excellent "Devs Play" episode on DOOM with John Romero. (Here's a link.) In it he mentions how fans like Hank Leukart were making guides before the game even released. (Here's the guide.) I went and checked it out, because I like reading what people "back in the day" thought about famous games at the time of release. As I was browsing through it, I found this little gem:

Sega 32X: Released. Everyone is spooging over this one, too. Buy it.
    Unexpected, needless to say! So I pulled up Google Groups and started reading through early comments on the 32X port of DOOM. Here are some selections:

Overall I am impressed with the fact that the 32x can even handle this game. I expected a slow, crummy framerate and mediocre control. What I got was a smooth, extremely playable game. Although the window size is slightly reduced and there appear to be less colors in the 32x version of Doom, I still find it to be a highly addictive game. I still can't believe that it is on a 32X! I didn't think the 32x would be capable of doing this kind of texture mapping this quickly.
    I picked up a 32X and DOOM on Friday and spent quite a bit of time playing it this weekend. Although I do have some minor complaints, I am thrilled with this game. I was amazed that the 32X is capable of such speed and detail. I will agree that it is not as good as the pc version but I don't own a PC, I own a sega.
    Not saying they're right. Most certainly some confirmation bias - wanting to validate their purchase. Just kind of funny to see.

Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Tower of Power's Avatar

Pretty much echoes my impressions of Doom 32X. Sure, it's not the best port ever, but all the important parts are there. It's very smooth and playable, and most importantly, FUN.

Raging in the Streets

For the time and the console its a good port, way better than the SNES version. Playstation version shits all over it though.

I feel like people compare unfavourably to the PC version with its recent 60fps source ports, people must forget that the original PC version was 30fps.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Yep, I got Doom 32X on release and was not disappointed (except by the music which was a bit of a WTF moment admittedly). I thought the graphics were amazing at the time, although I hadn't yet seen the PC one. Agree that it was real smooth most of the time.

Damn right though the PSX version was incredible when it hit, thanks in no small part to the coloured lighting and ambient soundtrack. It was just on another level.

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Knight View Post
    So I pulled up Google Groups and started reading through early comments on the 32X port of DOOM. Here are some selections:
    This is a great way to see what people actually said back in the day. I looked up some of my favorites like Landstalker and Gunstar Heroes and a lot of the comments are of this sort: "One of the best games on the system! But it's selling horribly because Sega isn't advertising it at all. What are they thinking??"

I remember playing Doom for the first time for me was on the 32X and i was very impressed with the graphics and gameplay for a 94 console effort

Wasn't the music supposed to be a lot better? I can't remember if it was if they ran out of cartridge space or they ran out of development time. Though the latter may be me mixing it up with the 3DO port.
    This is your money, give me a smoking.

For great justice! Outrunner Tor Landeel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GriskaGyoran View Post
    Wasn't the music supposed to be a lot better? I can't remember if it was if they ran out of cartridge space or they ran out of development time. Though the latter may be me mixing it up with the 3DO port.
    The 3DO port had a very good redbook audio remixed soundtrack.
    The Jaguar port, on the other hand, was silent as hell (because the DSP, supposed to do music, was used to handle graphics)
    What I think it's strange is that the original Doom had FM music, so it would have been reasonable to sound similar to the 32x port...
    ***** トル・ランディール ******
    Cadash Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3905/
    Out Run Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3940/

Raging in the Streets

The 3DO port has the great rock soundtrack thing but the actual game is just rubbish, a very poor port.

For great justice! Outrunner Tor Landeel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gogogadget View Post
    The 3DO port has the great rock soundtrack thing but the actual game is just rubbish, a very poor port.
    Still, it has a nice story to tell...
    http://kotaku.com/heres-why-the-3do-...ked-1671138312
    ***** トル・ランディール ******
    Cadash Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3905/
    Out Run Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3940/

Quote Originally Posted by Tor Landeel View Post
    The 3DO port had a very good redbook audio remixed soundtrack.
    The Jaguar port, on the other hand, was silent as hell (because the DSP, supposed to do music, was used to handle graphics)
    What I think it's strange is that the original Doom had FM music, so it would have been reasonable to sound similar to the 32x port...
    Should have clarified that it wasn't the music of the 3DO port I had an issue with. It was more the tiny window and choppy gameplay which was attributed to the short development time. However the 32X music to my understanding was supposed to be better in quality, but I can't remember why or where I heard it.
    This is your money, give me a smoking.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

The only times I got to even see, let alone try to play Doom before the 32X version, all of the computers ran it at like 7fps and the sound was all nasty bleeps. Plus mouse and keyboard controls made it worse. I wouldn't get to the point that I could use keyboard/mouse control until maybe ten years ago. What PC games I did play before that, I always used a gamepad if possible.

Getting to play Doom 32X around launch was unbelievable and had the full next gen feeling. Much more so than the transitions to the last couple generations. The sound also blew me away, music and all, because it was all new.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Tor Landeel View Post
    Still, it has a nice story to tell...
    http://kotaku.com/heres-why-the-3do-...ked-1671138312
    Wow, that music is very awesome;

Raging in the Streets

I played Doom in PC with a gamepad, vaguely remember it supported about 4 buttons at the time, not the best way to play Doom but the idea of gaming with a keyboard was a foeign concept at the time, now any modern source port gives me the ability to use dual sticks if I happen to fancy a bit of living room Doom. Good times.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

The 32x port came out in the fall of '94, and I believe it launched with the console. I remember because it was the 6th grade, and I wanted a 32x so badly. I begged for one for Christmas that year, but it didn't happen. I ended up getting one the following Spring though, and picked up Doom, Star Wars Arcade and Virtua Racing shortly thereafter.

It was an awesome summer. I was the only one of my friends who had a 32x, so they were all hanging around my house logging hours into Doom. To us, playing it on a television was incredible. Most of us had played at least the shareware version of it on a PC, but unless you had a powerful high end computer, it wasn't going to play very well anyway. So playing it on an actual console was incredible at the time. The 32x port and Jaguar port were the only two that existed at that time. All of the other future ports for different consoles were still just rumors in the gaming mags as far as we knew.

There was a kid in my class who had gotten a Jaguar for Christmas that year, but he didn't have Doom. Incidentally, the one time that I went to his house to play the Jag, the only game he had for it was Troy Aikman Football. So having a 32x at this time was a really big deal. I know that today people look back and rag on the 32x and say that Doom 32x sucks compared to other ports, etc, etc. Well, that's revisionist history. If you were there when it was the only way to play Doom on a console, you'd think differently. Of course nowadays if I want to play Doom, I generally play it on the PS1 or Xbox, but it played pretty well on the 32x, and for the time, it was awesome.

Thread Information