Quantcast

Thread: Inceptor Mega Disk (Back Up Device) - Anyone have one?

Road Rasher

Default Inceptor Mega Disk (Back Up Device) - Anyone have one?

Hey all, I thought I'd see if anyone here has a Mega Disk that they've been able to get working. I've been talking with thesegadude and I thought it might be a good idea to see if anyone else in the community owns one of these things.

You can read a bit about Inceptor Mega Disk here:
    http://segaretro.org/Interceptor_Mega_Disk

thesegadude's also put together a pretty detailed post here:
    http://retromegabit.com/2012/02/20/sega-mega-disk/

Here are a few pictures of the unit:

I can add more later showing the unit attached to my Genesis as well as the message that I get on screen once I turn the system on.

Right now I just have the unit. A childhood friend lent me his unit in hopes we could figure out how to get it working.

From what I understand the unit should be able to play games that are already on a floppy disk, but it should also be able to copy a game from a cartridge to a floppy disk. Unfortunately, I don't have any disks to go with the system.

From the instructions that were included on the image in thesegadude's website it seems like a Preboot disk is needed to operate the system, both to copy games and load games. However, in exchanging messages with him (and I'm sure he'll chime in in this thread), the preboot disk may not be needed if a game on the floppy disk is already formatted properly. thesegadude wasn't able to make a copy of his preboot disk and directed me to some files about how to format disks for the unit, though he mentioned he hasn't yet been successful with the files:

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=22406...24706C10%21177

So, anyway, I may go out and buy a USB floppy disk drive so I can tinker with it more, but before I take that route, anyone here have an Inceptor Mega Disk that can share some experience?

Hero of Algol

Hmm, I have two questions:
    1) Wouldn't you have an ebay link or something so I can pay an astronomical price for this ZOMGZ RAREZ @LOOK dumping machine?
    2) Do you happen to own the Canadian variant so I can pay a bit more for it?

Thanks in advance.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Hmm, I have two questions:
    1) Wouldn't you have an ebay link or something so I can pay an astronomical price for this ZOMGZ RAREZ @LOOK dumping machine?
    2) Do you happen to own the Canadian variant so I can pay a bit more for it?

Thanks in advance.
    Do we really have to go through this again? Anyone reading any of your messages following any of my posts can see you're just bullying for no reason. Quit it.

Wait, so this thing relies on a cartridge to work? Now I wonder if one could make homebrew that uses it as a floppy drive =O

Sucks that its shape makes it fit only with the model 1 though (i.e. you'd need to modify its shell to fit on the model 2)

Road Rasher

So from what I can tell there is some kind of an "Inceptor Specify Card" cartridge (the one with the red/pink bird) that can be used for saving data. I'm not sure exactly, but I guess if you were playing a game via diskette that normally utilized a save battery, you'd need that special cartridge to save your progress.

But, if your game doesn't need a save battery, a cartridge shouldn't be necessary.

I think all games load from the floppy drive. So if you put homebrew onto a disk and it were formatted properly, it should load. From reading the "instructions" I think it loads the games into the unit's RAM (or the system's RAM? - I don't have a good technical grasp of how it works), which allows you to use multiple disks for larger games. Or at least the instructions indicate that at least two disks can be used. It might allow for a 3rd or 4th disk depending on how large the game was, but I have no idea. Presumably, the system might be able to operate with no disks inserted, once you've loaded a game up.

Well my point was, it seems like it can run code from the cartridge if present, so maybe one could make a homebrew cartridge that can then make use of the floppy drive for its own purposes? That'd be neat.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by molotovwars View Post
    anyone here have an Inceptor Mega Disk that can share some experience?
    I don't have a Disk Interceptor, but I do have a couple other copiers. and none of them ever required a boot diskette.
    Normally you just stick it onto/into the Sega and when you turn it on you get a GUI. then you can either load the diskette into ram or copy the cartridge onto a disk.

Edit : After checking a youtube video it does seem like it requires a boot or tools diskette if you want to do more then just load roms off disks.
    it does look like you should be able to load a simple rom diskette though, but if you don't have a 3,5 drive around that might prove hard to test yeah.

Wow!!
    I didn't knew that such a thing existed!! I'm amazed!!
    This is the Grandfather of the Everdrive. Respect!!
    SEGA, mais forte que tu!

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Man, that thing looks nuts. Too bad it was black with red highlights, I bet it would look pretty cool on the system then.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

@molotovwars Thanks for your email! I'd love to hear more about your custom BIOS.

I still have my Mega Disk and I'd love to remove the need for the boot/copy disk.
    Sega Dude

Visit my Instagram @RetroMegabit or RetroMegabit.com

Thread Information