Quantcast

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A European look on the Sega VS Nintendo war by Kim Justice

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KimbleJustice View Post

*Except for gamevet, who can go piss on a wire
    That's alright. I'll still watch your videos. I think that they are very well done.
    Last edited by gamevet; 04-05-2016 at 11:01 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Flygon View Post
    I never knew anyone with a Saturn.

Quote Originally Posted by retrospiel View Post
    I read GAMERS which was a Sega-only mag and quite nice, at least during the earlier days (1991 - 1993). I will agree that Club Nintendo was an excellent tool to keep people interested in new Nintendo products. It really helped building momentum for the SNES.
    Oh yeah, forgot about GAMERS... To be honest, at that time I was mostly reading the multiplatform magazines like Power Play or Play Time 😉
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Back in the 32-bit age, I knew almost the same people having either the Sega Saturn or the Nintendo 64, which were very few in both cases. There were more people with PlayStations, of course, but namely most of my friends or known persons were actually engaged to PC gaming. In my particular case, I was both a Sega Saturn and a PC gamer so I had no problem with that and thanks to both systems I could easily live without a PlayStation.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

Raging in the Streets

The Saturn had absolutely zero impact on my childhood or anyone I knew, I heard about the Saturn much later in the future thanks to the internet believe it or not.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

I enjoyed this video, I forgot about the Rick Mayall ads until now. Interestingly, the 'barber' in the Sega ads was Spudgun in the excellent seies 'Bottom' that starred them both. Most of my mates had Amigas, I can honestly also say that I have never seen an NES in the plastic, any consoles from this era were all Sega until the SNES came out.

I only infrequently watch Kim's vids just because I don't tend to subscribe to anyone's channels but come across them - they are always entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Flygon View Post
    I never knew anyone with a Saturn.
    I knew just one guy , a classmate, who owned it.
    The rest had for the most part a PS1 and some a N64.

Hardly surprising Saturn sold very low outside of Japan and Europe was the weakest market.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesker View Post
    And it was that way definitely. I don't have exact figures but I'd say both the Master System and the Mega Drive were ahead of the NES and the SNES in sales and only regarding portable systems you could notice the Game Boy was more widespread than the Game Gear. I suppose it wasn't like in the UK but the Sega consoles had better sales definitely, althought the Master System achieved it by means of the cheaply prized Master System II which was sold like hotcakes during the Mega Drive lifespan.
    Depend on the Country (I wouldn't be surprised if SNES outsold MD in France or Germany).
    Though overall I think MD performed better than SNES in Europe/Australia based on the official sell-in figures provided by Sega and Nintendo.
    Game Boy is another story...

Quote Originally Posted by Gogogadget View Post
    My experience off growing up in the UK is that nobody ever owned Nintendo anything except the Game Boy, the Nintendo 64 was hardly even a thing. You went over to your mates place to play games then they probably had a Playstation, and their older brother before that had a Megadrive
    The things is, the UK was and still is quite a hostile market for Nintendo. Nintendo has always struggled to do well there, whether it was Sega or Sony + Microsoft that they are up against.

So during the 16-bit era, I think the UK market was really quite unique in its attitude towards Sega.

Wow, great comments here. I loved to read a little bit more about our favorite consoles in different countries.

Regarding Portugal, we're considered Segaland, because 80% of the videogames were SEGA.
    I dunno about NES vs SMS but on the 16-bit war, Nintendo had little visibility in Portugal. The consoles/games were more expensive and were hard to find in most of the retailers.
    Only the Gameboy and it's family were popular here. All the home consoles were SEGA. MD v1/v2, Saturn v1/v2 and Dreamcast sold extremely well. Also, because some of the console's late games hardly sold in countries like UK and DE due to the release of SS and DC, we still had games for the Megadrive on 97/98.
    The SNES sold here, but not that much. Everyone in the hood and in school had a MD. I remember that in some company xmas party on which my father worked on, CIB brand new SNES + 3 brand new CIB games were given to the children of the employees. Most probably the price had dropped to increase sales and the company took advantage f that to fill the hearts of children with joy that year. (Not me, I was a SEGA fanboy )

Some other curious facts are that all the games sold in Portugal had this sticker: Attachment 11345
    You can read a little bit more about it here: http://www.sega-mega-cd-library.co.u...ortuguese.html

And the release of Dragon Ball Z for the MD happened before the PAL French version: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon...C5%AB_Retsuden

And also, there even was a "official" clone sold in Portugal: http://segaretro.org/Unlicensed_Mega...s#Mega_Game_II

So that's why we're SEGA land, and I'm f**king proud of it!
    SEGA, mais forte que tu!

Thread Information