Quantcast

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Damn 32x Price is insane!

On NGC? No, DREAMCAST! ;D WCPO Agent GameX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNinja View Post
    32X unit prices kill me. they made millions of those, didn't they? and people still don't really give a shit...perfect example of something i expect to plummet when this dumb bubble finally bursts
    Not quite, 665,000 units sold as of the end of 1994 ? I don't know if that number is that reliable (Every region? What about the few 32xs that were sold later in 1995 or even '96 (During clearance maybe) ?)

That's less than the Nomad, but true, I understand your point
    Collection:

NES [11/XX/90] / N64 [12/25/03] / GB [2003 or 2004] / GBA SP [2004 or 2005] / NGC [12/25/04] / Wii [12/25/07] / DS Lite [10/21/10] / SNES [05/31/20]

GenMobile [05/XX/10 - 04/17/11] / DC [07/23/10] / GEN1-HDG [10/25/10] / Saturn Model 2 [04/24/11] / Game Gear [07/21/17] / SMS [08/07/17] / GEN2 [08/09/17] / SCD2 [08/09/17] / 32x [08/24/17] / GEN3 [06/06/20] / GEN-Mini [06/10/20]

PS3 Slim 320GB + PSMove [12/25/10] / PS2 Slim [02/09/11] / PS [04/24/11]

Xbox [04/24/11]

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Yeah, the 32X is an oddity and pretty uncommon in the grand scheme of systems. Include the number broken/returned/discarded and it gets even smaller.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Social Justice Ninja Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

i get it, and i know a lotta these weirdos just want it for their shelf, but...i mean, it's an object of ridicule even around here. it's weird to see it in demand.

that said, i stand by a number of the "broken" ones being an easy fix, if anyone comes across em that way like i did!

Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Tower of Power's Avatar

i get it, and i know a lotta these weirdos just want it for their shelf, but...i mean, it's an object of ridicule even around here. it's weird to see it in demand.

that said, i stand by a number of the "broken" ones being an easy fix, if anyone comes across em that way like i did!
    It's been an object of ridicule for a long time, sometimes that's fair, but sometimes it's not fair. I think people are starting to see that the ridicule is a bit overblown. It has a small, but interesting library. It's not on the level of the Saturn or Playstation, but it doesn't need to be. The games are basically just enhanced Genesis games for the most part which I think is more desirable now than when the system was new.

Social Justice Ninja Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

The games are basically just enhanced Genesis games for the most part which I think is more desirable now than when the system was new.
    i'd 100% cosign this - looking back, Kolibri, Knuckles: Chaotix & such were cool, but more definitive ports of Virtua Racing, Space Harrier, After Burner, DOOM, MK2 etc? yes please!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Default My Recent 32x Finds

pitfall.jpg

Found this rare beauty at a local retro video game store for only $20. It usually sells for around $100 on eBay (cartridge only).

I've found quite a few decent buys on 32x games recently including Star Trek (complete) for $25, After Burner (unopened) for $25, Zaxxon Motherbase (complete) for $41 (not great but not bad), and Fred Couples (unopened) for $13.

Raging in the Streets

i'd 100% cosign this - looking back, Kolibri, Knuckles: Chaotix & such were cool, but more definitive ports of Virtua Racing, Space Harrier, After Burner, DOOM, MK2 etc? yes please!
    To be fair, the 32X has diminished value a lot because Space Harrier and After Burner also got arcade perfect Saturn ports (although i've heard Sega Ages is mad expensive in the US), Doom is on basically everything with a screen and MK2 got superior ports as time went on.

Back in the day? Yeah it was much cheaper to have a 32X than a 486 + Soundblaster to play Doom but sometimes consoles become redundant. If Shenmue gets a port thats a major reason to own a Dreamcast gone.

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

Shenmue is pretty low on my list of reasons to own a Dreamcast. :P

But if someone doesn't appreciate genuine hardware aesthetic, you might as well just emulate and buy emulated ports.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Raging in the Streets

Depends on the port really, i've never really felt the need to play a downgraded port on some hardware, but other times ports are just crap. Like Crazy Taxi on PS2, man that's a shit version of a really fun game.

But then in 2017 I really wouldn't bother playing Daytona USA on Saturn either

I remember 4 years ago I was able to buy 32Xes in the $20-$25 range, sometimes with accessories too. Ones that came with everything (except the box) were $30-$40. Wth happened? Has the 32X become a new collectors' item?

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
    I remember 4 years ago I was able to buy 32Xes in the $20-$25 range, sometimes with accessories too. Ones that came with everything (except the box) were $30-$40. Wth happened? Has the 32X become a new collectors' item?
    This is still possible to an extent. I recently purchased just a 32x base unit itself from an AtariAge member for $25 shipped. I didn't 'need' it as I have another one, but my other one I permanently modded for s-video out only and wanted a stock unit to better use with my HD Retrovision cables. Didn't eliminate the jail bars as I had been hoping...but still looks great otherwise! The unit is scratched up and obviously seen use and better days, but it does work just fine!

If you can't find a brand new Sega 32X in box @ your nearest Toys R US store for $20.00... Shoot yourself (or bomb Sega Headquarters), or rob a bank and wipe out Ebay!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Quote Originally Posted by vexatious View Post
    If you can't find a brand new Sega 32X in box @ your nearest Toys R US store for $20.00... Shoot yourself (or bomb Sega Headquarters), or rob a bank and wipe out Ebay!
    What, back in 2003 that might have been true. In fact, I bought mine originally for $19.99 in Toys R US.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Lycanphoenix's Avatar

Now that the Hitachi SH-2 has been made open-source in the form of the J2 (see also; the hopefully soon-to-be developed J2+ and J4 for SJ-2A and SH-4 respectively), we might eventually get some pretty affordable (and compatible) 32X clones in the near future. Better still, they might even be more compact and less power-hungry.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Despite the fact that the 32X is famous for both being one of the greatest failures in console add-on history and one of the first nails in Sega's eventual hardware coffin it is currently selling for crazy money here in the UK! In searching for a logical reason for this perhaps it is seen as a gaming curio, an oddity of time and place, a literal physical piece of evidence that strange and unexplained events do indeed take place in this world of ours... In all seriousness I have been tempted in the past to acquire a 32X but the only games I would want to own for the system are Knuckles Chaotix and Mortal Kombat II. Not exactly resounding reasons for shelling out the kind of money that Sega's little black mushroom that couldn't currently goes for.

Thread Information