Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mega Q*bert (full game)

Name one Death Adder's minion

Default Mega Q*bert (full game)

Almost 6 years ago I made a prototype of a Mega Drive version of Q*bert, but dropped it due to problems with the code structure. I decided to rewrite the game from scratch this year and now it's done.

Mega Q*bert is a new game for Sega Mega Drive/Sega Genesis. Featured are 2 different game modes. Mega mode contains 80 levels to beat, often filled with new irregular blocks that make things harder and more complex enemies, while Arcade mode is a recreation of original arcade game (based on the NES iteration, to be more exact). Both modes offer simultaneous cooperative gameplay.

Although I lack the equipment to test the game on the real console, it has been reported that aside from minor visual noise in select instances the game runs correctly on actual hardware and the gameplay itself is completely clean.

Download:
    1.2 (PAL-friendly)

Video:

Report any bugs you may find, I'll try to fix them. Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Jaklub; 04-16-2017 at 07:49 PM.

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Nice job!

I really like the backgrounds, and the game has feels really polished and complete. Too bad I suck at Q*bert!
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Thank you for share this, i really enjoy your job, very well done with nice presentation!

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Thumbs up

This is fantastic news! Q*bert was one of my favourite games to play on the Atari 2600! You did a great job with the visuals and presentation! Best of all, I can set up the control scheme for the D-Pad! Thanks for porting the game to the SEGA Genesis Jaklub!
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Prince Talmit's Avatar

This is quite a surprise! Thank you very much for your work here. I'm a big Q*Bert fan. Unfortunately I don't have an SD or flash cart.. so this might have to wait until someone does a cart for this...
    Come to think of it, I wonder if you could work with Serega to get this fully produced and earn some money form it.

8 & 16 bit guy Outrunner Bloodreign's Avatar

Sweet, a new version of Q*bert to play. Never was really good at this game, but I still liked playing it in the arcade, on NES, or the GBC version (which I own for this and NES).

Thanks for posting. Quick update (1.1) uploaded, includes an important bugfix, a couple of level design tweaks and some additional alterations for PAL version. If any important bugs are found in this one, I'll try to fix them ASAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Talmit View Post
    This is quite a surprise! Thank you very much for your work here. I'm a big Q*Bert fan. Unfortunately I don't have an SD or flash cart.. so this might have to wait until someone does a cart for this...
    Come to think of it, I wonder if you could work with Serega to get this fully produced and earn some money form it.
    Right now the game is stuck with original Q*bert characters and I haven't yet decided if I will eventually do any changes to that. I don't want to earn money from it in it's current form.
    Last edited by Jaklub; 06-09-2016 at 12:10 PM.

Game looks and feels awesome. Like a professional release, pretty well finished and rounded.

If you are going to keep doing versions, one with bigger sprites, more like early megadrive games, would be sweet.

wibble wibble mushroom Wildside Expert nemesis enforcer's Avatar

Awesome, if you ever decide on making a physical release, I'm buying.

Great job, it feels like a release title!

i completely suck at Qbert, but it's cool to have such a fine port.

Awesome Job! it looks bad ass. I can Help you if you want to sell them in cart form someday.

Master of Shinobi

+1 also here. The only criticism I can think of is why, just why, someone who spends hours or months of homebrew console development doesn´t even own a spare one (with an everdrive at least), hehe.
    thanks!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

chilled, The EverDrive isn't the best test platform to test homebrew. It works 99% with 1% been a very big thing if you are to test a commercial project.
    This for the current EverDrive because the old ones are not good at all to test homebrew projects. Maybe he wants the best hardware to test his stuff and not a EverDrive.
    Don't dream, play Dreamcast!

Thanks for posting.
    Quote Originally Posted by dr apocalipsis View Post
    If you are going to keep doing versions, one with bigger sprites, more like early megadrive games, would be sweet.
    Right now I'm not planning to make any updates beyond bugfixes, but this isn't certain and might change in future. I don't have any specific plans right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    +1 also here. The only criticism I can think of is why, just why, someone who spends hours or months of homebrew console development doesn´t even own a spare one (with an everdrive at least), hehe.
    thanks!
    I just haven't purchased a flashcart; not very experienced with buying things internationally.
    Last edited by Jaklub; 06-14-2016 at 07:34 PM.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

I have never ever played this game, I'm looking forward to trying this out! Also, I like how the control type can be changed; I really wish someone would alter the control scheme for Snake, Rattle And Roll in this fashion, I find it unplayable on the MD as it is now.

Thread Information