Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the best controller you've ever used?

Sega CD What's the best controller you've ever used?

I had made this topic on TNL awhile back and got a lot of insightful and solid answers so I said to hell with it and wanted to hear the thoughts of you glorious bastards here at Sega-16. So which controllers do you love the most and why?

I have a few of course being the Sega Genesis 6 Button pad which was the most comfortable for me with the system. The Gamecube controller was an awesome feeling device and the analog stick was nice and easy to use. It only was made better by the Wavebird which was beyond awesome.

The Saturn 2nd model 6 button pad was also amazing for fighters along with platform games as well.

So let's hear it guys and share your thoughts.

P.S. On TNL one of the highest rated controllers was the Xbox360 Elite.
    Last edited by BonusKun; 06-21-2016 at 08:20 AM.
    05/05/15

I really liked the jdm Saturn controllers, been playing my Saturn a lot and the controller just fits. It's nice.

maybe runner up is the ps4 controller though i hate the option and share buttons.

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

I really like the PS4 controller. It fits in my hands really comfortably, and all of the buttons feel nice. For modern games it's probably my favorite to use. Except for shooters and strategy games that are better with a mouse/keyboard.

There is also a specific version of the Genesis 3 button controller that I love. I've only come across two of them, and from what I can tell they were both made in 1994. The D-pads feel really nice on them, almost like the saturn model 2 controller's d-pad. Not stiff like the early Genesis controllers.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Ms. Pac-Man

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeOj View Post
    I really like the PS4 controller. It fits in my hands really comfortably, and all of the buttons feel nice. For modern games it's probably my favorite to use. Except for shooters and strategy games that are better with a mouse/keyboard.

There is also a specific version of the Genesis 3 button controller that I love. I've only come across two of them, and from what I can tell they were both made in 1994. The D-pads feel really nice on them, almost like the saturn model 2 controller's d-pad. Not stiff like the early Genesis controllers.
    I think I remember that controller but I don't ever recall holding one. No offense to Melf but I hated the hard plastic of the original Genesis 3 button pad. It made me feel like it was just too cheap and I was afraid I would break it.
    05/05/15

Until my very last days on the face of this earth, the wireless six-button controller for the Sega Genesis is the best controller I've ever used.

Banned by Administrators Wildside Expert

Saturn model 2, bar none. Use it with most of my emulators. Super Nes Asciipad was comfy and aesthetically pleasing, unlike Nintendo's disgusting gray and purple theme.

Do you have TP??? Raging in the Streets Cornholio857's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeOj View Post

Yeah, that version uses a ball bearing for the D-pad to rock on. The earlier versions used a plastic nub which can wear down if used frequently. As far as my favorite controller goes, that goes to the Model 2 Saturn controller.

Come dance on my floor Master of Shinobi Crystalpepsifan's Avatar

Gamecube and Ascii fighter pads for DC are my favorite. They just felt right for their purpose.

Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent EyeDeeNo76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psalm Down View Post
    Saturn model 2, bar none. Use it with most of my emulators. Super Nes Asciipad was comfy and aesthetically pleasing, unlike Nintendo's disgusting gray and purple theme.
    This was my go to game pad for the Super Nintendo back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio857 View Post
    Yeah, that version uses a ball bearing for the D-pad to rock on. The earlier versions used a plastic nub which can wear down if used frequently. As far as my favorite controller goes, that goes to the Model 2 Saturn controller.
    To minimize wear one can put some white lithium grease on the plastic nub. The Mega Fire Mega Drive/Genesis game pad also has a metal ball bearing to pivot on as well.

Edit: As far as best controller, I like one for a reason and another for another reason. Hard to say ____ is the best controller.
    Last edited by EyeDeeNo76; 06-17-2016 at 08:21 PM.

The genesis 6 button pad.

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

My favorite controller is the 2-button Turbo/PCE pad. The corners perfectly fit within my large hands and the buttons are exactly the feel and responsiveness I like. The d-pad never gives me any problems and doesn't wear down my thumb the way that some do.

My second favorite is the standard Japanese Saturn pad.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

wibble wibble mushroom Wildside Expert nemesis enforcer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lync View Post
    Until my very last days on the face of this earth, the wireless six-button controller for the Sega Genesis is the best controller I've ever used.
    I agree, those pads are my favourites too. The SG Propad 2/6 come in a very close second though. Or first, if the batteries run out

Outrunner

Megadrive 6-Button pad. Also for new, the PS4 pad is very comfortable.

Mega Drive wireless 6 button and PS4 for me, too!

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Can't run it down to one. Saturn pad, Neo Geo AES stick, Madcatz Gamecube pad (clear with memory function), DualShock 4, Genesis 3 button.

Thread Information