Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's the best controller you've ever used?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Prince Talmit's Avatar

ASCii Stick FT (Dreamcast) is hands down the best controller I've used. The optical joystick is the smoothest and most responsive control I know of. The buttons aren't the best but have never given me a problem. The built in rumble takes playing REZ, or Ikaruga, or Zero Gunner II to the next level!

Frustratingly, ASCii changed the length of the stick on their 3 models of optical joysticks for Playstation, and apparently the ASCii Playstation optical sticks aren't Dualshock compatible (or something) so they don't function on PS2.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    I really wish I had a Neo Geo to try out my Neo Geo CD pad. That thing looks and feels crazy awesome. And the fact that the "clickity" thumb pad
    I have the PS2 version of that controller and the clicky thumbstick seems to require a bit extra pressure to be sure I'm getting the input I desire from the d-nub. It's a neat novelty, but not a favorite of mine.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

I've never seen that one before. Got pics?

NVRmind. I just saw it and it does look like the original version. I wonder if it feels the same.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Prince Talmit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    I just saw it and it does look like the original version. I wonder if it feels the same.
    There had been some discussion back when the PS2 version was released - I remember someone opening up both pads and comparing the switches. iirc they were the same build, but I think I recall some people saying they felt different which wouldn't be surprising.

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Neo Geo systems aren't horrifically expensive. Just buy them on eBay, from Japan. I recommend using a Genesis 1 power supply with them, if they're the 9/10V version. Some AES systems run on a different (lower) voltage, so always read the output for your AC adapter before replacing it with an alternative that fits the plug.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

The Nomad D pad is the best I ever used. The model one Saturn pad is a very close second in this department too.

I'm a big fan of the Zero G PS2 wireless controller for analogue stuff.

Saturn, PS2/3 and then I'll put in the Genesis 6 button.

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

No one else loves the 2600 stick?
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

my uncle had a 2600 and my brother and i used to play it when we were way younger, but i can't honestly remember the controller feel. wasn't it kind of a spongy travel?

meteor x and chopper command are 2 games i'll always remember for it.

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cabear View Post
    my uncle had a 2600 and my brother and i used to play it when we were way younger, but i can't honestly remember the controller feel. wasn't it kind of a spongy travel?

meteor x and chopper command are 2 games i'll always remember for it.
    It's got a different feel. Idk if I'd call it spongy. You have to push the stick so the little plastic foot inside makes contact with a metal dome on the board. It requires a certain amount of pressure, but too much can crack the plastic ring inside that has the little feet attached. It's great once you get a feel for it. The button is nice, it clicks on mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Toss up between the wired six button Mega Drive pad and the model 2 Saturn controller. As for an analog controller, easily the 360 pad. It might have a rubbish dpad, but other than that, it's top notch.

Banned by Administrators

^ Yes, I strongly agree. 360 has the best analog controls I've played with. Only controller where I can achieve the most precise aiming in shooter games like Mass Effect.

Thread Information