Quantcast

Thread: One Blue Blur: 25 Years of Sonic The Hedgehog

Sonic One Blue Blur: 25 Years of Sonic The Hedgehog

This month marks the 25th anniversary of the world's most famous hedgehog! Instead of looking at all of his games, we've decided to honor the Blue Blur by examining how he's managed to endure for so long. There's a lot more about Sonic to think about than games, and his appeal stretches to many other areas. Happy birthday Sonic! Read the full article for more information.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

From the onset, Sonic, as a conceptual drawing alone, oozed more personality than a lot of voiced video game characters today, let alone any that preceded him. That's before you get into him staring at the player, while tapping his feet, because they're not doing anything with him. Meanwhile, it takes cartoons and movies to do the same for the other major video game mascots. It should be a no-brainer which character should translate better to other mediums.

Also of note, is that last year he had the 5th highest selling Amiibo in North America, outperformed by 2 versions of Link, Bowser, and Mewto, but still outselling Pikachu, Classic Mario, Pac-Man, Mega Man, and Ganondorf.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Yes it's nice to consider Sonic as a beloved character in our consciousness, which is not tied to his controversial modern games of the last two decades. It makes sense in a way, like how comic book heroes are really not tied to any one specific comic book series, or movie, etc.

Sonic's dramatic changes in 3D also help me feel that it's obviously the classic 2D games that define him (more than anything else). The 3D games are a beast of a different nature, unfortunately.

Heck I think Green Hill Zone defines Sonic more than almost anything. Practically every drawing of Sonic always has Green Hill's famous palm trees and its checkerboard pattern...
    Last edited by Ecco; 06-27-2016 at 12:22 AM.

His games may have taken a hit in quality, but I'm happy he's still around. It's about the only thing from old school Sega that gets any love anymore.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training fr0zenbuttox's Avatar

I couldnt care less about the jank. big and glitches, sonic adventure is an incredible game. It still stands out amongst the long fading 3d platformers that degraded into collectathons. only a few sony platformers and boost-style stand out as something that standout from the rest at the time.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

I'd also agree it's gotten to the point where merchandise has driven the development than the other way around, as it's only with the latest game that they seem to be giving developers the time needed to polish it. After at least the animated series had proven a success.

Thread Information