Quantcast

Thread: Golden Axe Warrior

Wildside Expert

Default Golden Axe Warrior

We all know that Golden Axe Warrior was one of the famous "last 4" games released by Sega for the U.S. market. However, the other three games (Sonic, Spider-Man, Strider) all have multi-lingual back inserts with U.S. UPC's covering the European UPC's, while Golden Axe Warrior is completely in English.

Was GAW not released in all of Europe? Perhaps it was intended for a regular U.S. release like some other late releases that have U.S. specific inserts and UPC's (like Ghouls n' Ghosts & Castle of Illusion). My thought is that because it's an RPG, maybe it wasn't translated for multiple countries and was only released in English speaking U.K and U.S.

Social Justice Ninja Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

pretty sure my GAW is a PAL copy, yeah

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

It did receive a release in Australia, for what it's worth.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNinja View Post
    pretty sure my GAW is a PAL copy, yeah
    The problem with those few games that were released with just a UPC sticker on the box is that the box may have broken down the line and swapped by a previous owner. It's so strange how the "only" thing that makes them the "US" version is that UPC sticker.

Now I really wonder how many came out like that in the US. I feel like sifting through my SMS now. Strider comes to mind.

Social Justice Ninja Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

that is pretty strange, yeah

for me, a lotta late SMS titles i just never saw out here - TRU & places didn't seem to sell for that console by that point, so i always figured whatever release some of those neat genesis ports saw, it was prolly limited in # compared to places like PAL land where the system sold more...could be wrong. they did get actual releases of some GG only stuff for us though!

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Master of Shinobi NeoZeedeater's Avatar

Sega probably didn't feel it was worth the effort to translate although I would guess that some copies at least made it to game specialty stores in other parts of Europe. According to wiki, it was reviewed by German and French magazines.

The Tectoy version in Brazil has Portuguese packaging although the game is still in English.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

I believe RPG releases for the Master System all had an English box and a vertical manual. Which is why Golden Axe Warrior is the only UPC game with a vertical manual.

@Jeremiah, that would make sense. I don't know exact release dates for the "last 4" but had just assumed that GAW was just released earlier in 1991 when US releases were still getting complete localizations.
    glazball's game collection and wantlist

Thread Information