Quantcast

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: US Genesis Question

  1. #1
    Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    14,416
    Rep Power
    161

    Default US Genesis Question

    So a little while a go I imported a model 1 launch Genesis from the States. I'm from the UK, and as you know, we don't have NTSC over here instead, we have the PAL standard. Playing the system as is, is fine. Plays correctly in full colour (via RGB), no issues whatsoever.

    My point? Well, I have a bunch of UK games. That were meant for the PAL region. And this is a NTSC machine. I've modded a few PAL Mega Drives in the past, and I've never had any issues playing those in 60hz (again through RGB), but I feel like it won't go that well trying to force a American NTSC Genesis to play at 50hz. Am I right? I want to mod this Genesis so it can replace my model 1 Mega Drive and become my main system. Will the reverse, forcing the system to play at 50hz introduce any issues?

    Any help would be appreciated, thank you.



  2. #2
    Road Rasher
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    406
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    I remember modding a JP MD with 50/60hz switch, and that I had a lot of problems when in 50hz, mainly jumping / rolling screen. Some tvs could handle it better but even with the better it was still not reliable. All of this running RGB of course.

    If your PAL games are region locked and not PAL optimized, you can boot in 50hz then hotswitch in 60hz.

    If you want a more universal console, a modded PAL MD running RGB is actualy a better choice. I never had tv problems with modded PAL MDs.

  3. #3
    urusei yatsura Master of Shinobi lumclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,363
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Switching consoles to the "wrong" mode, produces incorrect timing. Megadrives don't contain the necessary hardware (timing crystal as far as I know) to behave quite right.

  4. #4
    Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    14,416
    Rep Power
    161

    Default

    Thank you guys, but that wasn't exactly what I was referring to. I should of worded it better, I apologize for that.

    What I meant was, I've been playing my PAL games at 60hz for years. I know of some of the technical limitations and issues regarding of forcing PAL games to run in 60hz on a PAL machine. What I meant to ask, was, are there any new introduced issues of forcing PAL games to play in 60hz on a NTSC machine?

    So if I install a 50/60hz switch on my Genesis to force a PAL game to 50hz to defeat the region lockout, then back to 60hz, besides timing issues, would any new issues arise that are exclusive to NTSC consoles?

    Thanks.



  5. #5
    Road Rasher
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    406
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    are there any new introduced issues of forcing PAL games to play in 60hz on a NTSC machine?
    That what I said about some PAL games being optimized. Some will run faster overall (because speed correction on top of 60hz instead of 50), other will have glitches. Non optimized games (the vast majority of early games) will run fine.
    On the top of my head, after a hotswitching (euro version games) :
    Thunder Force IV, Batman & Robin will run too fast
    Sonic 3, Sonic & Knucles will have some gfx glitches
    Streets of rage 1/2/3 will have rolling screen
    Earthworm Jim, Gunstar Heroes will have music going too fast

  6. #6
    urusei yatsura Master of Shinobi lumclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,363
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    Thank you guys, but that wasn't exactly what I was referring to. I should of worded it better, I apologize for that.

    What I meant was, I've been playing my PAL games at 60hz for years. I know of some of the technical limitations and issues regarding of forcing PAL games to run in 60hz on a PAL machine. What I meant to ask, was, are there any new introduced issues of forcing PAL games to play in 60hz on a NTSC machine?

    So if I install a 50/60hz switch on my Genesis to force a PAL game to 50hz to defeat the region lockout, then back to 60hz, besides timing issues, would any new issues arise that are exclusive to NTSC consoles?

    Thanks.
    Nothing I recall at the moment. NTSC games that dislike 50hz, or PAL games that dislike 60hz, should have the same issues on any console.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryoandr View Post
    That what I said about some PAL games being optimized. Some will run faster overall (because speed correction on top of 60hz instead of 50), other will have glitches. Non optimized games (the vast majority of early games) will run fine.
    On the top of my head, after a hotswitching (euro version games) :
    Thunder Force IV, Batman & Robin will run too fast
    Sonic 3, Sonic & Knucles will have some gfx glitches
    Streets of rage 1/2/3 will have rolling screen
    Earthworm Jim, Gunstar Heroes will have music going too fast
    An easy way to think about it, is such games configure themselves at bootup.
    Hence the general rule: switch OFF the console first when possible.

    Obviously though hotswitching already region free games has little practical use.

  7. #7
    Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    14,416
    Rep Power
    161

    Default

    Thanks guys, that clears up a few doubts I had about modding it. Luckily only a few of my games have issues with 60hz (Comix Zone, Sonic 3, etc), so I can either use the Game Genie with the few that can be modified or just settle with playing them at 50hz.

    Thanks again, it's very much appreciated!



  8. #8
    urusei yatsura Master of Shinobi lumclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,363
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Sonic & Knuckles is not only region free. It makes the Sonic 3 content region free and has the cutout for Japanese consoles.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •