Quantcast

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: XGM player on Megadrive

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smokemonster View Post
    Any news on the XGM Player front?
    Driver wise to move forward he's having to rewrite it from the ground up. Player wise I don't know maybe Stef will comment here 😊

Master of Shinobi

I'm reviving this thread to ask about any news on this awesome player, which is unfortunately bugged on some sountracks (early cuts with crashing UI, etc). Is stef working on this or not anymore? I've gone back to using VGM play 3.42 since it works with every soundtrack on project2612 but the resulting roms are usually bigger and the UI is way uglier and with no live info whatsoever
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Master of Shinobi

here's a proper tutorial on how to create ROMs with this awesome player:

ok so after LOTS of testing... I understand the better updated version is the one you can download on the SGDK github. This player is leagues better than any other (check that UI!) + "compresses" better so you can fit more soundtrack per 4MB rom (I'm redoing my personal collection of project2612 vgms to roms I can play on real hardware). So, in order to work properly, you must:

- download the updated versions of the files xgmtool 1.72 + xgmRomBuilder.jar 1.31 + you need a java client installed, of course. This fixes the hard cut of many songs after one loop or even before (the song goes until the end of the duration shown in the UI) and makes this usable again.

- add vgm or vgz files but beware: the UI is not flexible and you cannot change the order (only delete). I do add all of the vgz files of each game OST (folder by folder) in the order I want them to show in the UI

- if you are over 4MB (the bar goes red), delete the worst ones and/or the bigger ones... but BEWARE sometimes it doesn't calculate properly and you seem to be under 4MB but in fact you are not, and the resulting rom will not be written (I don't know if it's because I'm using zipped vgz instead of vgm... haven't tested that)

- you cannot add more than 100 tunes: beware that with not sampled based OSTs, they take such small space that you WILL reach 100 tracks long before filling up you 4MB rom. It's rival toll, vgmplay, doesn't have that limit (but the files take much more space because they stay vgm instead of xgm so you'll reach 4MB very fast: some games do not even fit on one rom). I've downloaded the best ranked OSTs from the site and doing mines by company, game series, genre, etc.

- you can delete individual tracks and the size that is shown will be deducted from your total rom size, so this means you end up listenting to the OST to choose your least favourite tunes and sfx, which is nice
    Beware that sometimes you are supposedly under the 4MB mark bu the file is not written: that's because you are actually oversized, so keep deleting things until it properly writes the rom (which appears on the tool's folder).

- you MUST tick the middle box in all of your tracks in order to avoid some glitches (that do not occur with pure vgm). It's the DR one (disable pcm rate fix). I think the other two are usually not needed (I hope so), but this one prevents weird delays and silence short cutoffs in some OST (ie Cool Spot's jazzy tune is a good example to check that). Maybe this is not needed on most of the files, but I won't be listening back to everything, so... this is TEDIOUS as there is no way I know of to check the whole column at once (ie all the songs in one go). I'm doing many 100-track roms so...

- one last thing: do NOT have two songs with exact filenames: the program will mess things up (only taking one and repeating it). "01 - Konami logo.vgz" or " 25 - Game Over.vgz" are present in many soundtracks so be alert when you combine then. Simply adding a letter at the end will solve this. If the number is not the same, it obviously works (you can have many Game Over as long as they don't share the position numbering)

phew

Obviously the tool could be improved (Barone already suggested) but I'm not sure Stef (or anyone else with coding abilities) is interested in this. I tried myself to use the tool directly in command line in order to automate the disabling of pcm rate fix (that creates gaps between pcm and channels inside some songs) to avoid having to tick all those boxes, but couldn't (I think it's because the UI is not copied as all that is programmed inside the java file).

I can share my soundtracks with anyone interested (they are roms, though, but I guess these ones are ok?)

EDIT: there's still a little imperfection/delay in the drum sample of The Shinobi no matter what settings I check. The problem is not present on the vgmplay tool (the one with the ugly AI), I didn't notice for other soundtracks but it is probably dependant on how well you know each tune. It doesn't bother me that much, but that one is going on the vgmplay side, though
    Last edited by chilled; 10-07-2022 at 09:09 PM.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Thread Information