Quantcast

Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: Digital Foundry (Official Thread)

Great video. Not a huge fan of the game though. The idea of having many different versions of the levels that are based on past, future, etc is great. But the way you access them gets old really fast. Like, i can't count how many times i accidentally traveled to a version i didn't want. The art style is also very abstract for my tastes. Lastly, the spin-dash move looks pretty bad compared to Sonic 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post
    Was it actually posted in this thread as I went back all the way to December and didn't see anything?
    No, it was posted in its own thread.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I hated the rechargeable battery pack of the Nomad. They failed to hold a charge in a very short amount of time. I was also constantly knocking the battery loose resting it on my chest.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

I bought mine new and never had any problems with battery packs. I used a couple rechargeable Nomad packs and a Game Gear rechargeable battery pack. I carried them with me in a backpack along with several carts, while spending hours a day on transit for about 7 years. I would play through one RPG'ish game at a time and kept some pick up and play games in rotation.

Just watched most of the video before heading out. I'm surprised that DF Retro not only isn't aware of the PC Engine GT/TurboExpress, but that they didn't do any research before making a video like this. If the portable visual experience of the Nomad was the equivalent of the Wii U, then I guess that 5 years earlier the GT/TE (released within a month of the SFC) was the equivalent of the Xbox One X.
    Last edited by Black_Tiger; 05-13-2018 at 03:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Very good video. Even with it's obvious faults, I loved it.
    05/05/15

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Just watched most of the video before heading out. I'm surprised that DF Retro not only isn't aware of the PC Engine GT/TurboExpress, but that they didn't do any research before making a video like this.
    They seem to be ignorant about the PC Engine as a whole.
    4th gen comparisons are usually drawn considering only the existence of SNES and Genesis.

The video explicitly mentions the TurboExpress.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Turbo Express was not the same idea. It did not connect to the TV,it was a separate device. Nomad did plus 2 players. Nomad is te correct device to compare Switch to.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    Turbo Express was not the same idea. It did not connect to the TV,it was a separate device. Nomad did plus 2 players. Nomad is te correct device to compare Switch to.
    I think that it's cool that the Nomad's full console capability, which is overlooked by most "retro gamers", was part of the inspiration to compare it to the Switch.

I was talking about the part starting at 7:25 where he specifically compares the graphics as a portable system to everything at the time and before.

"The Nomad on the other hand, is a Sega Genesis at its heart. A console that had been in the market since the late 80's. Despite this, Sega's 16-bit console still offered a presentation far exceeding any handheld before it. In 1995 the Genesis could conceivably have been compared to the Wii U, in 2017. Both were somewhat outdated in their respective periods, but it was none the less amazing to see that level of visual quality in a mobile format".

If you weren't experiencing most/all consoles or keeping up to date at the time with game mags, imagine what it was like when Nintendo finally entered the 16-bit market, 3 years into the generation, after milking publishers and consumers for so long. The Super Famicom shows up with a series of games crippled by slowdown. A few weeks later NEC releases the PC Engine GT, which plays a massive library of existing games, including R-Type. A game which runs in a higher resolution, tosses around twice as much action at a faster pace and isn't plagued by slowdown like the tailor-made for SNES version of Super R-Type. Or worse, in North America the TurboExpress debuted at $250, 9 months before the SNES launched at $200. By that time the TurboExpress likely had another price reduction, as the TG-16 + Turbo-CD were $75 and $150 around that time.

I had the TurboExpress pre-SNES and R-Type was the first game I wanted to try. I bought the Nomad new after it was discounted. Both were and still are amazing portable experiences if you care about 16-bit gaming and real hardware.

This is the problem with revisionists educating the masses about gaming history through easy to digest videos and why an overwhelming majority of "retro" fans not only believe in an alternate gaming history, but also go around dismissing non-believers as console war fanboys who are just butt-hurt after cheering for the losing side.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker waterclaws6's Avatar

Cool episode, I just love the ways that developers made water come alive in games especially during the PS2 generation. To this day, the PS2 generation have the best water based games that current console generation is missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Just got done watching it. I always disliked Sonic CD and I think the comparison to Mario 2 and Zelda 2 as black sheep of the series was spot on. But that video did shine new light and it makes me want to actually try it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Solid overview of the different ports of Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure.

I know our Barone has done a number of extensive analyses of this game over the years, and watching this video I was reminded of things he had already pointed out over the years. Here's one of the posts that I was able to find:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...l=1#post641726

Thread Information