Quantcast

Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839 LastLast

Thread: Digital Foundry (Official Thread)

This was pretty damn good. I never game this game a chance when it came out and now I'm really regretting it.
    05/05/15

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

My sister had this game on her Genesis. I watched her play it when I was visiting. It looked rather boring, and I remember the reviews of the time not being that favorable for the title either.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

I rented this for Genesis after it came out and enjoyed it a good amount. I bought a copy a while back when I was in my "play every game I own but don't beat any" phase, so this would be a good one for me to revisit and complete.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    My sister had this game on her Genesis. I watched her play it when I was visiting. It looked rather boring, and I remember the reviews of the time not being that favorable for the title either.
    you should get it on the sega cd anyway. much better version.

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    I already started hunting for a copy on Sega CD. I took a chance to listen to the soundtrack. It's pretty damn good.
    05/05/15

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker nv0bdizc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    Solid overview of the different ports of Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure.]
    Good video. I haven't played a lot of that game but always assumed the SNES and Jaguar versions would be the definitive ports due to the better colour palette on the SNES and the Jaguar being a 2D monster. Looks like I was so very wrong!

Well said. The Mega CD version is amazing and also makes some of the best use of the systems audio chip for sound effects that leave the MD and Snes versions standing
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Never played it. I saw ads for it at the time but wasn't aware it was a big deal. Maybe should look into it. Loved the original. Hated the 3D one and the NES one.
    Last edited by Leynos; 11-28-2018 at 01:28 PM.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

counter of beans Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Cafeman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Well said. The Mega CD version is amazing and also makes some of the best use of the systems audio chip for sound effects that leave the MD and Snes versions standing
    True. After playng the SEGA CD version, the Genesis one sounds more lifeless with flat sound effects. And the redbook audio CD music and environmental sounds were really a treat back in the day. I was surprised that Pitfall TMA was chosen as a DF Retro feature; I've always enjoyed it but there seems to be a dismissing of the game across the net. Maybe many people played the crappier ported versions. I like the control, animation, move set, and variety of weapons and enemies.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

The 32x version is not nearly as bad as that video makes it out to be. It has the most beautiful graphics, on par with the Jag, and includes the extra levels of the SCD version. Sadly, the framerate isn't 60fps, but at 30 it's still quite playable. Just not as smooth as its brothers.

The game play looked boring. It wasn't the music or graphics that turned me off.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    The 32x version is not nearly as bad as that video makes it out to be. It has the most beautiful graphics, on par with the Jag, and includes the extra levels of the SCD version. Sadly, the framerate isn't 60fps, but at 30 it's still quite playable. Just not as smooth as its brothers.
    There's an issue with the music which I'm surprised John from DF Retro missed and didn't comment. The music from the 32X version is very subdued compared to the Mega Drive version. It's missing instruments. I don't know if it's related to sound channels or something went wrong when programming the game, but it's especially noticeable in the first level with all the jungle beats missing in the 32X version. Of course you need to play the Mega Drive version to notice it, so I suppose there has to be people who only played the 32X and won't be aware of it. I always wondered if that could be fixed through hacking because it's very disappointing if you like the Mega Drive version soundtrack.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

I'd thought about posting this in the Dreamcast zone, but it is Digital Foundry, so I posted it here.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

I have used this for the past 3 years and it's been amazing. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...4D0HKA8F&psc=1

Games upscale to 1080P and wow some games really look great. One that surprised me was Zombie Revenge with how crisp it was and puddles having reflections and such I didn't notice in SD. Dreamcast is thinking and still the most powerful console ever made. Sorry Xbox One X. DC is still king :P

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

That device does not have an upscaler.

Adapter carries VGA signal to HDMI devices but preserves original video resolution | Will not upscale signal to HD resolutions simply allows legacy devices to connect to HDMI at original supported size

Thread Information