Quantcast

Page 4 of 71 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonic Mania/ Sonic Mania Plus (XB1, PS4, PC, Switch)

Master of Shinobi

It looks like the Saturn game they should've made.

And I mean even from a technical standpoint, it does things the Saturn could do, and looks like how the Saturn would do them. The entire title screen looks like it was optimized for the Saturn background chip, it looks awesome. That part where the foreground overlaps the sprites and shows only their shadow, that's about the only iffy part in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Assman View Post
    - I can't get a 360 port for a downloadable 2D game? Really?
    This is something the Saturn could do easily (widescreen aside), why not Saturn? In all seriousness though, the 360 isn't even manufactured anymore and I imagine Microsoft isn't even giving out licenses for it anymore, it'd be stupid to bother.

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    That part where the foreground overlaps the sprites and shows only their shadow, that's about the only iffy part in that regard.
    The Saturn can clip the viewport when rendering 3D, right? Just clip the viewport and render sprites using a different palette in that area. Not really hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Sonic Colors would like to have a word with you =P
    Sonic Colours is a decent game, as is Generations. Teenage sonic is still an awful character.

I'd be more worried about the fact that for the trailer they went with the same grim style they did with Sonic '06. Let's hope that's misleading, because if not then it doesn't sound like it's going to end well at all.
    I understood the point of classic sonic in Generations, I don't get it here. Why are there two Sonics again? Is that going to be a thing from now on?

Worse, they're complaining it's not Shadow... It's the guys desperate to get Sonic Adventure 3. Even though that was basically Sonic '06, you know.
    Shadow would have been a much better fit for that trailer really. I guess we should just be happy to get Mania and leave the rest of the series to the Chris Chan crowd.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    Why are there two Sonics again? Is that going to be a thing from now on?
    Sega knows they divided their fanbase, this is their way of further cementing that there are two different Sonics in hopes of pleasing both camps.

Which raises the question..

Why did Edgy Sonic star in Sonic 4?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training ChrisZoom's Avatar

OMG this looks so amazing. I am glad they went the classic route.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    Sega knows they divided their fanbase, this is their way of further cementing that there are two different Sonics in hopes of pleasing both camps.

Which raises the question..

Why did Edgy Sonic star in Sonic 4?
    Answer: For budget reasons.
    I demand a Blaze spinoff!

Me blog

Hope Exists

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

<~~ Does not understand the "Answer".

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Grind's Avatar

Really like how colorful Studiopolis is. Hopefully the "re-imagined" levels don't just feel like a ROM hack.

Quote Originally Posted by miru View Post
    Answer: For budget reasons.
    Pot bellied Sonic is more expensive to render?

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    Pot bellied Sonic is more expensive to render?
    More pixels for that tan belly of his.

Quote Originally Posted by cabear View Post
    More pixels for that tan belly of his.
    You probably mean polygons, cause it looks like Sonic 4 is all 3D (except for some low res background flowers).

But yeah those polygons add up.

heh, it wouldn't surprise me if Sega redesigned Sonic for DreamCast just so they'd have to render less polygons.

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

This is the first time I've been excited at the thought of a Sonic game since I was a kid. I hope whoever is making this knows a thing or two about level design, ie, not a bunch of speed boosts/hold right and jump once in a while. I like being able to choose if I want to speed through a level or explore. The colors in that Studiopolis Zone look like something out of Chaotix.

Does anyone know if GHZ and other old levels are actually going to be a part of the game, or is it just some POC for the beta/trailer?
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

don't make me hug you Wildside Expert TailsAlone's Avatar

I'm actually excited for this. I want to buy it, play it, possibly enshrine it.

...But I probably won't. Because to play this awesome 90's-style game, I'll still have to go through 2016 technology. Which means one of two things.
    1) Buy the PC version, which will probably not be on physical media and may require the use of "Steam", which I am familiar with only as something that comes out of a teapot.
    2) Buy a modern console which I have absolutely no interest in, can't really afford, and probably can't even hook up to my ancient TV.

Still...really good news.
    Lest a fickle world forgets...
    never stop screaming

S E G A.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zetastrike View Post
    Does anyone know if GHZ and other old levels are actually going to be a part of the game, or is it just some POC for the beta/trailer?
    Re-imagined, as the trailer states. You can find gameplay videos of both stages shown in the trailer, and there turns out to be a whole new upper area in GHZ, hence the Emerald Hill Zone twisting road segment shown in the trailer.

Outrunner

Woha whoa.... I am fucking excited for Sonic Mania! Never thought a new Sonic release will make feel like that! Love the visuals, love the music.... So yes... I want it!!! And about that other 3D game, why? Just put every money for that proyect on Mania!

Thread Information