Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your top favourites on Master System

Road Rasher

Master System Your top favourites on Master System

Hi All

Im interested to know what others are calling great games and some of their favourites on Master System, i have pretty close to 145 Master System carts here ( not counting cards because ive got the same on carts! ) and loads of them ive never played.

A few of my favourites:

Alex Kidd in Miracle World: it really is just awesome in every way.
    Double Hawk: its great fun to play, especially with two players.
    Sonic the Hedgehog: a really great version, probably like it better than MD version
    Rampage: its great fun with two players
    Wonder Boy 3

I especially like good two player games, but there was a lot of good single player games on Master System

alex kidd is awesome? that's a first haha :P

I do like me some master system, though admittedly my experiences are though emulation.

1. master of darkness
    i might even like this a little more then castlevania 1. It just has that creepy, hammer-film type atmosphere!
    2. Bubble Bobble
    This and paperboy 2 (snes) are the two games i can play nonstop. it's a better port then the nes and i really enjoy it.
    3. double dragon
    Though i grew up with the nes version, this one is definitely more arcade-centric and i love it for it. too bad the genesis version wasn't as good as this.
    4. golden axe warrior
    i really enjoyed everything about this game, and i find it's mechanics play a little smoother then zelda 1. I think i enjoy the setting and graphics over link.
    5. Ys I: Ancient Ys Vanished
    i don't even like the y's series but this one is damn good on the master system. i enjoy this over phantasy star.

Honorable mention- ninja gaiden
    though it doesn't handle quite as well as the nes version, i love that it's a completely different story and setting. the graphics are richer then the nes and i just wish the hitboxes were more defined with a firmer "hit feel".

Road Rasher

Ill give those a try, i have the first 4 here

I just went through and played some of your picks as well as mine, the little system was pretty sharp i just wonder why i seems Sega always kind of skimped on sound. If the MS had any drawbacks it was sound, meh.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training GiliusSegahead's Avatar

Beautiful collection

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by cabear View Post
    I just went through and played some of your picks as well as mine, the little system was pretty sharp i just wonder why i seems Sega always kind of skimped on sound. If the MS had any drawbacks it was sound, meh.
    Yeah the sound was pretty ordinary, but some really great games on that system!

Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Tower of Power's Avatar

Astro Warrior and Rambo were old favorites from my childhood. And of course Phantasy Star.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Kenseiden
    Rastan Saga (I was a fan of the arcade at the time, so getting this port was awesome)
    Double Dragon
    Wonder Boy
    Golden Axe (I think most people hate this one, and it's pointless today, but I loved this when it came out)

Some of my favourites from when I was a kid. I didn't have the machine for too long before I upgraded to MD, so I didn't really get a chance to delve deep into the library, and I still haven't.

Coming from Atari 7800, Master System games felt like a revelation.

Wildside Expert

Out Run - This was the best home port available in the U.S. until the Genesis version years later. Looks good, sound good, plays well.
    Space Harrier - A little rough graphically, but plays great, and the music and voices are awesome for an 8-bit machine.
    R-Type - Again, the best home port when it came out, and it still holds up well today.
    Phantasy Star - Amazing graphics for the era, and one of the few RPG's I've ever been able to get into.
    Shinobi - Just a lot of fun to play
    Hang On - Another Sega arcade conversion that comes off very well on the SMS

@above - I really liked Golden Axe as well.

Road Rasher

I have both 3D and regular versions of Outrun and Space Harrier, so i might see if they'll work properly on my CRT through the XRGB-3, if not ill have a crack on the other CRT in my room. The Barco starts it's scanrate at 31kHz and is true multisync from there up to 180kHz ( which no one would ever use ), the NEC starts at 15.6kHz and is also true multisync.

I have R-Type, but havent played it other than to test it years ago, i have Pulstar on NEO•GEO AES so ive always headed there first!

Love Hang On, got all three Master System versions. Great fun for a 20 minute blast!

I have Shinobi, never played it though.

Golden Axe sure is good, but i certainly do prefer the Mega Drive version, for obvious reasons.

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Quartet is one of my favorite games on the SMS. It isn't too popular, but I think it's a lot off fun. The arcade versions has great music too! Shame it never made it to the Genesis.
    A lot of the other SEGA arcade games have already been mentioned.
    I also like to play shooting gallery and safari hunt with my light gun.
    The sonic games are fun too. Not as good as the Genesis game though.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Road Rasher

I have Quartet, its pretty good, havent given it much time yet.

I have all the light gun games here except Assault City, there are a few very simular, but all different enough to be good. I reckon Bank Panic couldve almost worked as a light gun game too.

OK, I'm going to make a quick top 5 list despite the fact that I know if I did this every week it might be different each time... except for Phantasy Star. That will always be #1.

1) Phantasy Star
    2) Wonder Boy in Monster Land
    3) Fantasy Zone 2
    4) Golvellius
    5) Miracle Warriors

Damn it! R-Type should have made the list too...
    And people might think that Miracle Warriors shouldn't have made it but I have a lot of fond memories of it. It's the first RPG I ever beat.

I also love Quartet but I would understand if some people did not. It's a bit stiff but it's a solid game.
    Alex Kidd is also a good game but for me it's a bit too hard to be a favorite.

And yes! Your collection does look great
    Sega Dude

Visit my Instagram @RetroMegabit or RetroMegabit.com

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by thesegadude View Post
    OK, I'm going to make a quick top 5 list despite the fact that I know if I did this every week it might be different each time... except for Phantasy Star. That will always be #1.

1) Phantasy Star
    2) Wonder Boy in Monster Land
    3) Fantasy Zone 2
    4) Golvellius
    5) Miracle Warriors

Damn it! R-Type should have made the list too...
    And people might think that Miracle Warriors shouldn't have made it but I have a lot of fond memories of it. It's the first RPG I ever beat.

I also love Quartet but I would understand if some people did not. It's a bit stiff but it's a solid game.
    Alex Kidd is also a good game but for me it's a bit too hard to be a favorite.

And yes! Your collection does look great
    Thanks! Its been added to since that pic, i have now got every boxed console set that was released in Australia.

I dont find Alex Kidd that hard really, its a bit tricky in places, but its had loads of play time here

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

I personally had an NES, but my cousin had both the NES and Master System, so I got to play quite a few games, here are some of my favorites:
    1. Alex Kidd In Miracle World
    2. Rastan
    3. Hang On/Safari Hunt
    4. Shinobi
    5. Alien Syndrome

Thread Information