Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips for Streets Of Rage 2?

Nameless One

Default Tips for Streets Of Rage 2?

Any tips for playing Streets Of Rage 2, some of the bosses like the let pack guy and fat fire breathers are difficult.

Jet has a very predictable attack, line yourself up with Jet in the Y-axis, (line yourself up with Jet's shadow) then Jet will attack and you can usually perform a jumping attack and rarely miss. You'll obviously have to practice the timing, but it doesn't take too much practice.

Between 6:40 and 6:50 in this video is a good demonstration:

I have a hilarious tactic against the fat Big Ben guys, keep punching them slowly enough that your character doesn't chain their attack into a kick. If done correctly you'll keep punching them and they can't attack you.

Nameless One

oh man i forgot what bunch bastards the motorcycle guys are.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    I have a hilarious tactic against the fat Big Ben guys, keep punching them slowly enough that your character doesn't chain their attack into a kick. If done correctly you'll keep punching them and they can't attack you.
    That's what I do on almost every enemy in the game when fighting them alone (meaning no other enemies around).

If you play as Axel: spam grand upper (-> -> attack).
    If you play as Max: use the back-cracker (hold from behind, jump and attack) a lot, it takes about 3/4 of a lifebar.

If you are getting thrown, hold up and jump to land and not take damage.

Jumping towards and pressing down and attack is good against Signal (when they slide) and also the MC guys I think.

Don't walk further right if there are still enemies to fight on the screen, more enemies may appear which will make things more difficult.

Don't forget the three secret extra lives: bottom left when you begin on stage 1, top left when you get out of the truck on stage 2 and under the dragon head on stage 3.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

^Not to mention the not so secret one in a crate on the pirate ship in stage 3.

The non-directional specials(A button, while not pressing anything on the D-Pad) have invincibility frames, and cost no health if you don't connect with it. I haven't myself, but learning the best times to use those would make the game a whole ton easier. For example, R. Bear in the 5th stage. I've seen a video of a player using Max, he hits the directional special to knock him down(loses health, but you always do with those, no matter what), then stands over him, roughly around the knees, and as Bear starts to stir, hits Max's non-directional special, which allows him to avoid Bears rising uppercut, and then position himself behind him for a back grab.

Another good use is if there are no enemies around, but a knife is thrown at you, just press A, and the knife will go right by(also works against the final bosses weapon).

As for Jet, watch his shadow, and line up with it when he's a good distance away. Hit him with a jump attack when he flies toward you. If you get close and he starts to fly upward at an angle, move up/down out of the way. Just keep aiming for him to try to boost at you horizontally along the ground, so you can hit him with a jump attack.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightrider View Post
    Another good use is if there are no enemies around, but a knife is thrown at you, just press A, and the knife will go right by(also works against the final bosses weapon).
    Good one, never thought of it. Need to do that from now on.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Tips are for Axel but all characters can do similar:

No need to jump attack Jet. Just punish him with combo > Grand upper or grapple after you dodge his dive attack. As he floats upwards, you can judge where he'll end up after his dive so walk to just above or below that point and you'll be ready to punish him. I presume that does more damage.

With Souther/Zanza (the claw guy): If you stay at range with this dude you can get him to keep using his Blanka roll which the Grand Upper (as usual) has priority over. It won't hit him for max damage but it's a guaranteed hit. It won't take long before he's at range again given the nature of his AI and you can repeat the process. He also blocks moves sometimes, but blocking specials is not in his best interest at all. Catch him with a Grand Upper while he's in his guard animation IIRC he takes a lot of damage.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher AggroSky's Avatar

When I was a kid I always played Skate. As an adult, I tend to like Max, mainly because he can dish out massive amounts of damage to the bosses. He is slow, but if you can get behind them (takes some practice) and do a reverse body slam or better yet, a pile driver (the most damaging move in the game) you will destroy them. That's my strategy anyway...

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

I just recently beat this bad boy. I found it miles easier than part 1 and part 3. "Grand Papa'" the shit out of everything. That's how I managed.

Quote Originally Posted by AggroSky View Post
    When I was a kid I always played Skate. As an adult, I tend to like Max, mainly because he can dish out massive amounts of damage to the bosses. He is slow, but if you can get behind them (takes some practice) and do a reverse body slam or better yet, a pile driver (the most damaging move in the game) you will destroy them. That's my strategy anyway...
    I always preferred the larger/stronger characters, when given the choice, precisely for that reason. The slide kick(forward, forward & B) makes up for his slow speed, and if you happen to hit an enemy, bonus damage. His always takes priority over the Signal enemies version too. Plus his, I think they're called bear punches, his knockdown strike(B alone during a grab), is brutal.

For the record, I believe these are the moves that he borrows from pro wrestling:
    combo finisher/charge move(hold B for a couple seconds and release, and they do this move without the combo. Usually good for guard crushing, but doesn't always): double axe handle
    jump attack: ^basically just the same thing with height
    moving jump attack: drop kick
    front grab throw: overhead belly to belly suplex
    reverse grab: German suplex
    reverse jump grab: jumping atomic drop (still don't quite get the timing, I think this has to be at the very height of the jump. Also, I think the bear punches do more damage, but it's 5 moves in a row, so this would still be the most damaging single attack) [Also, I've never seen a wrestler do this move while jumping]

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

While Streets of Rage II is the easiest to beat of Sega's beat-'em-up trilogy (certainly when compared to SOR3!) I never get tired of playing through it. Max is my character of choice as his slow speed is more than compensated for by the immense damage his moves inflict on enemies. Atomic drop, body slam, donkey kick and suplex your way through the mean streets and watch the scumbags fall like skittles!

I love playing as max, getting the bosses to block, and then doing the charging shoulder special, which chips them for immense damage, looks cool, and makes a great sound If there were more enemies that would block, I don't think I would play anything else.

^Do you have a technique that forces them to block? I know that's how I usually beat Zamza and clones.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Skullkid's Avatar

I am trying to get a good SoR2 experience but my friends got bored of it after half an hour or so. Playing it single player just doesnt seem right.

Banned by Administrators

The correct technique is to get better friends.

Thread Information