Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The secret behind Duke Nukem 3D for Sega Genesis

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Gogogadget View Post
    Although in LGR's video on this, he claimed that Duke Nukem Genesis was completely unlicensed so who the fuck knows.
    So a youtuber's claim invalidates what says the then CEO of the company which developed the game and which also had a direct partnership with SOJ?
    Sounds about right to me.

Well, according to them GT Interactive licensed the port and 3D Realms had nothing to do with it, maybe they've seen enough shit ports and whoring out of their license to last them one lifetime.

Although in LGR's video on this, he claimed that Duke Nukem Genesis was completely unlicensed so who the fuck knows.
    It is really sad that now, 3DRealms have been ripped off the Duke Nukem rights. Supposedly Gearbox bought it from GT interactive, and a bunch of BS. So 3DRealms gave up the legal battle (less pockets) as Gearbox, and Gearbox owns it.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Tower of Power View Post
    Well, Duke 3D is 32Mb, no?
    Ah, so not that prohibitive it seems.

Raging in the Streets

Quote Originally Posted by pikointeractive View Post
    It is really sad that now, 3DRealms have been ripped off the Duke Nukem rights. Supposedly Gearbox bought it from GT interactive, and a bunch of BS. So 3DRealms gave up the legal battle (less pockets) as Gearbox, and Gearbox owns it.
    GT Interactive sacked off 3D Realms for being shit at developing games and taking forever and handed Duke Nukem over to Gearbox.

Not that it really matters, other than the occassional re-release of Duke 3D who honestly cares about this IP anyway?

GT Interactive sacked off 3D Realms for being shit at developing games and taking forever and handed Duke Nukem over to Gearbox.

Not that it really matters, other than the occassional re-release of Duke 3D who honestly cares about this IP anyway?
    Classic and Retro Gamers?

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

I'm probably one of the few fuckers who enjoyed Duke Nukem Forever (PS3). I enjoyed it mainly for its irreverent plot style. Not the best FPS, but definitely not the worst.

As for Duke Nukem 3D on the Genesis; I am just stoked Piko managed to get a Genesis game released world-wide that was previously released only on a single region for the system. I will back every single project of this sort (including the ones from SuperFighterTeam). I wouldn't mind more of these multi-region re-releases. It is a service deserving of great merit.

Hero of Algol

And another interview emerges, this time with one of the guys who was in the development team of the Mega Drive version, Daniel Trevisan:
    http://www.seganerds.com/2016/08/19/...ive-interview/

Q) Any idea or canceled game we do not know?
    A) Well, at that time due to the success of Duke Nukem 3D, we started to develop Tomb Raider for Genesis, but Tectoy filed for bankruptcy and sent several talent away. They started just to import and resell games. Then I asked resignation because I was invited to work in a TV station. There wasn’t more opportunities for creation there.

Q) How was the relationship between TecToy and SEGA? Did they have to approve everything, or could TecToy do whatever they want and release it? Did they help in the process (documentation, Assets, Arts, other things)? Did they always give feedback for all the projects?
    A) It depended of the agreement, each game had a characteristic, in the case of Duke Nukem had a lot of freedom to recreate the game, bringing their concepts from PC lunar stage. SEGA had its strict quality control and after the development of any title, was infinitely tested by the staff of TecToy and the next phase by SEGA staff. Everything was analyzed, from gameplay, visuals, sounds, content adaptation, making it adequate to the public. The feedback was constant. However, other games were just adaptations and even then had to be relentlessly tested to avoid any bug.

Q) Making Duke Nukem run on a SEGA Genesis must have been insane work when they came with the idea of the game for you. Did you already have in mind about making a game with 3D perspective, or it was decided later?
    A) It was really insane at the time because it was seen as almost impossible to work. It would need to be in 3D, bringing two-dimensional aspects to this game would totally disqualify the proposal. It was very tense, the pressure was constant and we had to develop short-term own tools to build it.

I have to highlight two professionals who were partners on this process: Heriberto Martinez Mandique who worked on the sound, and 3D engine and Maurice A. Guerta who developed the tools . I had the pleasure of working with these fantastic companions without their technical capacity, we could never accomplish this challenge without them.

Finally, joining the knowledge of each area we could find a solution and communicate in a timely manner responsible for the viability of the game in the market.

Q) How was the process in development? Did you have a lot of problems? Is it true the team used a Phantasy Star algorithm?
    A) It was a lot of work. When we found a solution, deadlines were already very short and we had to make the methodology into practice as soon as possible.

We used the languages like C and Assembler as well as many calculation tables using log and ant-log of sine and cosine functions to accelerate the process of multiplication and division without using a mathematical processing CPU. Heriberto and Mauritius used BSP algorithm (binary space partition) to link many areas (indoors) through the hollowed walls.

This algorithm was very different from 2D and a half used in earlier versions of this platform. It made it possible to create walls and doors with thickness and with rectangular variable dimensions and not only as the square Wolfenstein game. I used a Cartesian plane system to map the whole game, from then on, we began to applying textures and strategies of Duke Nukem 3D.

Each level had to be with progressive difficulty and at the same time interesting to the user. Creativity had to be present in every password or secret passage, the personality of the enemy and in the combination of every animation, audio and scenery. We also created a quality roadmap to consolidate an effort of three talking heads. Yes, the Duke Nukem 3D for Mega Drive was made from scratch and developed by three professionals: Two engineering and design.

I recently heard someone saying that Duke Nukem 3D was made from the Phantasy Star. I don’t know why he did this statement, since there were no connections between the two games. None at all! Maybe who he said that doesn’t remember how it was done or even the talent he had in this company, unfortunately.

Q) How long did this project last?
    A) To create the authoring tools, design and testing, about a year.

Q) How was the feedback from SEGA when they saw Duke Nukem 3D running on the SEGA Genesis?
    A) It was a great surprise, we received an email from SEGA classifying the game as AA, which is the maximum score achieved in a game for the Mega Drive platform and a congratulatory comment for having achieved something that even SEGA wondered if it was possible. Moreover, it was matter of specialized magazines of the time. It was something exciting where three Brazilians developed with little technology and a lot of pressure, something that would be amazing so far.

*From Sega-16's interview with Stefano Arnhold:
    For many years, Egi (a young lady) was our guardian angel in Tokyo. We also had regular meetings with Sega’s President Mr. Nakayama and other executives. I think that I have more than 200 business cards from Sega.

Q) In 2015, the company Piko Interactive relaunched the game worldwide. Do you feel proud that even after so many years there is still demand for the game?
    A) I feel extreme fulfillment and a sense of accomplishment, and ready for new challenges. No wonder, because the love that was put in the development of this game only tends to give good results. I remember having worked on Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve! What is done with care and quality remains. Knowing that now a project in which you participated so intensely, belongs to the world is the best feeling you could feel. After 20 years I am thrilled!

Raging in the Streets

Quote Originally Posted by pikointeractive View Post
    Classic and Retro Gamers?
    Yeah, but that's it.

Nobody wants a modern Duke Nukem, that happened once and it was shit.

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

As expected, the whole Phantasy Star thing never made any sense.
    Cannot rep unfortunately... I hate that thing on this site even if I get the reason.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

In fact i remember i had a look in Duke Nukem 3D genesis code and it was doing real time 3D texturing / raycasting (not sure about the method used) but they indeed heavily rely on look up table to do it.

Awesome interview. You know, I imagined that the game was developed by a small team, but the fact that only three guys were responsible from creating the game from scratch is truly amazing. These guys definitely have a lot of passion and talent.

It's only fair that the people at SEGA hq gave them such a high regard and the people who dismiss Duke 3D as being crap doesn't know anything about games.

And yeah, the whole 'Phantasy Star' thing never made any sense, but I guess that's the kind of thing that comes out of the head of those executives.

Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Tower of Power's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bottino View Post
    Awesome interview. You know, I imagined that the game was developed by a small team, but the fact that only three guys were responsible from creating the game from scratch is truly amazing. These guys definitely have a lot of passion and talent.

It's only fair that the people at SEGA hq gave them such a high regard and the people who dismiss Duke 3D as being crap doesn't know anything about games.

And yeah, the whole 'Phantasy Star' thing never made any sense, but I guess that's the kind of thing that comes out of the head of those executives.
    Maybe it was more something like, the developer looked at Phantasy Star on Master System and how impressive it looks and thought to themselves "if that's what they can do on Master System, I should be able to do much better on Genesis!"

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

I think that the Phantasy Star connection was just the basic concept of pre-rendering (code).
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Unfortunately you're all rep'd up Barone! Otherwise you'd have got some more!

I could finally rep Barone again, so I did. Hearing that SoJ ranked titles was interesting!
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Thread Information