Quantcast

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: NiGHTS questions

Ok, Saturn was late '94, and N64 was mid-96. So it's most accurate to say it's about a year-and-a-half difference. (Saturn released late November '94, so I think of it more like an early '95
    A year and a half was massive back then, just compare the difference between the N64 and Dreamcast or PS2 and XBox. Every six months or so, each new GFX card would be packed with a better feature set.

I don't think we are really disagreeing about anything, and I think our perspective depends on our location: You're talking about Saturn selling well in Japan & Europe, while I was saying that the US basically ignored the Saturn its first year
    I know the Saturn didn't sell well inthe USA, but I use be a sub to Gamefan back in the and they were hyping loads of Saturn stuff in 1995 and going ape over the likes of Skeleton Warriors. If SEGA really meant NIGHTS to take on Mario, it would have been a 3D Sonic game . NiGHTS was a hard sell, how do you sell a score attacl game to the casuals ?

nd I also thought NiGHTS was supposed to fill in for Sonic on the Saturn.
    I would put to you that was more Clockwork Knight given it played a traditional platform game. NiGHTS was just Sonic Team go at making a new IP before they worked on Project Sonic for the Saturn. Its a shame NiGHTS didn't take off, but I miss the days when the SEGA CS teams were allowed to go nuts and makes games like Panzer, Rez, Space Channel 5, JSR and so on
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    A year and a half was massive back then, just compare the difference between the N64 and Dreamcast or PS2 and XBox. Every six months or so, each new GFX card would be packed with a better feature set.

I know the Saturn didn't sell well inthe USA, but I use be a sub to Gamefan back in the and they were hyping loads of Saturn stuff in 1995 and going ape over the likes of Skeleton Warriors. If SEGA really meant NIGHTS to take on Mario, it would have been a 3D Sonic game . NiGHTS was a hard sell, how do you sell a score attacl game to the casuals ?

I would put to you that was more Clockwork Knight given it played a traditional platform game. NiGHTS was just Sonic Team go at making a new IP before they worked on Project Sonic for the Saturn. Its a shame NiGHTS didn't take off, but I miss the days when the SEGA CS teams were allowed to go nuts and makes games like Panzer, Rez, Space Channel 5, JSR and so on
    ^Good info and good points. I agree N64 had a significant benefit for releasing later than Saturn.

And you're right that Saturn had more media attention than I remembered from 22 years ago lol. I checked YouTube's TV ads from '95 and yes, non-sports games are featured more than I remembered. However, a lot of that is just quick flashes of gameplay, which I found forgettable in '95, quite literally, because we can barely see the games, let alone get excited about them. Plus, I think my geographic area must have gotten a concentration of the sports ads anyway lol. I definitely remember Saturn football and sports ads repeating a lot, and that's my major memory of Saturn ads before the push for NiGHTS.

Re: NiGHTS and his place among '95 mascot games: You've made a lot of great points for your views that disagree with mine. Thanks for a good conversation.

Now here are a couple more strange Nightopians that I've found / bred.

IMG_1446.JPG
    ^Looks just like that common enemy, which it's obviously bred from.

IMG_1447.JPG
    ^Not sure what's up with the small bird head, wearing sunglasses lol.

He is sweeping because some A-life actually have jobs like that, which they pass along through their different generations lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    However, a lot of that is just quick flashes of gameplay, which I found forgettable in '95, quite literally, because we can barely see the games, let alone get excited about them. .
    That was common practice, Hardly any TV advert for a game back in the day showed that much gameplay be it for SEGA, SONY or Nintendo game. I don't think its any different now for TV adverts.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Thumbs up

^Yeah that's also a good point re: TV ads. While I remember '96 had commercials more focused on NiGHTS, I also remember that it was never quite enough footage to really see what the game was like.

Now that I think about it, the only TV ads that I remember showing a lot of gameplay for one game, were the early '90s ads for Super Mario World and Sonic 2.

I previously tried to post about glitches, but it seemed my post itself glitched out lol.

Here are pics of the glitch I mentioned earlier, when the score screen super-imposes the stage-start sequence. The colors look washed-out because they really are washed-out when it happens. I still don't know what triggers this glitch, maybe button-mashing on the score-screen, while pressing A-start. Or maybe it just happens every so often, for no reason at all.

IMG_1452.JPG

IMG_1453.JPG

IMG_1454.JPG

Also, I took some pics when the game was having massive slow-down. The following pics show the game running at half speed or less. Some examples might be further influenced by off-screen sprites, I suspect. And the Pians' animations can also add to the slow-down, like the bubbles in this first pic:
    IMG_1445.jpg

This one only has five Pian sprites (don't miss the one in the top-left corner):

IMG_1448.JPG

Here is slow-down with NiGHTS (6 Pian sprites):

IMG_1451.JPG

Here is slow-down that doesn't look obvious, except a couple Pians were crying, so their tear-drops seemed to really slow everything down lol. (You can see tear-drops against the dark blue.)

IMG_1450.JPG

And speaking of the Nightopians crying, it only occurred to me recently that they must cry from that alarm clock getting too close to them, since I'm not making them cry from my own actions.
    Last edited by Ecco; 11-10-2017 at 11:31 PM.

Saturn

It's well-known that the kids can jump out-of-bounds in the Soft Museum, but I don't think anyone has mentioned that the same thing is possible in the cave in Mystic Forest:

Last edited by Ecco; 08-15-2018 at 04:03 AM.

Small glitch but I was excited lol, since no one seems to have acknowledged any glitches in Christmas NiGHTS.

I don't know if people have noticed that Sonic can jump out of bounds into a small area, during the boss fight.

Master of Shinobi

I just want to mention: This 90s K-pop song ('Last Festival' by Seo Taiji and Boys) reminds me a lot of a song from NiGHTs, as well as sounding like the Bubble Bobble main theme at the same time! Very charming:
    Last edited by Jeckidy; 08-26-2018 at 03:57 PM.

^Nice, certain parts of the song do sound very similar to NiGHTS' music.

I finally took a video of the massive slow-down I was talking about, caused by too many Nightopians.

If no one has seen this happen, then it's probably interesting to see what happens when you accumulate a lot of them:

Question

Strangely I just realized a discrepancy with my copy of Christmas NiGHTS, apparently.

People have photos showing the title changed to "Winter NiGHTS" but my copy never says that title lol. Mine just says "NiGHTS: Limited Edition" during the winter as well as the warm months.

Here is someone's photo of "Winter NiGHTS:"

christmasnights_0001.jpg

I tried the same exact date and mine still says "NiGHTS: Limited Edition." But it does have that same picture of NiGHTS and the background.

The forum won't let me upload my photo of my own game right now.

EDIT: I would have to assume it's a regional difference. Japan did get their own version which I would have thought was the same, besides the JP language. But maybe this is one small difference in how the title works?
    Last edited by Ecco; 08-30-2018 at 01:30 PM.

It's been a long time but years ago, I bought Journey of Dreams for the Wii, as a present for my friend's birthday or Christmas. I really disliked most of the substance of the game, like I thought they ruined NiGHTS as a character imo. They made NiGHTS seem much more feminine and seems voiced by a middle-aged british woman lol, so they really lost the original non-gender quality of NiGHTS. Also I disliked the gameplay changes on Wii, etc.

Anyway the one stand-out part of the game was the Dream Gate which was the hub world of the game, that you can hang around, unlimited time. It's a dark twilight / night environment with a fountain and glowing bits of the stage. Great song that might be the best music in the whole game:

Sometimes I imagine buying a Wii and a copy of the game, just so I can leave it running in the Dream Gate lol.

Thread Information