Quantcast

Page 11 of 70 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do people have issues with others not being fans of the SNES?

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    The sad truth is Barone and I were friends and all of this is the worst kind of bullshit.
    Well, let's take a closer look on the replay:
    You asserted that "friendship," and I went against my better judgement having seen you rail on people in this forum already.
    And yes, you asserted that "friendship". You asked me to let you onto my facebook when I don't let any of these internet types have access to anything personal, and you used the term "friend" all of the time, which here in Texas is always a sign to watch out.

And what about this?
    But until you can at least admit you have been rude, I will continue to ignore you.

I have not lied, not once.
    Let that sink in for a moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post

One of the best SNES songs, the same song covered by currently the best (IMO) YM2612 composer (Hi Gecko!).
    A lot closer than you'd think.
    Awesome!
    I've never listened to that game's OST before. Thanks for sharing (no rep sending allowed yet ).

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Now and then I do, but it's not like some of that is getting drowned out by all of the noise being made by the fighters in SFII. It's not like I don't also hear it in the arcade game and on the Genesis. It's like the pot calling the kettle black, if you ask me.

Let me ask you this. How can you not notice the broken rhythm in the arcade and Genesis versions of Street Fighter II?
    The music always sounded off to me, in any version. The SNES version always sounded weird to me. FM seemed better to me I guess. Isn't all of Capcom's 16-bit stuff Mono too?
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Well, let's take a closer look on the replay:
    And what about this?
    Let that sink in for a moment.
    What exactly caused you to turn on me again? Is it my lack of proper research in your estimation, or is it really just that Sony sucks and always has sucked? They actively put legitimate gaming companies out of business, how does this not offend you?
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Ball Gamer View Post
    I am. What's cost have to do with anything?
    I hell of a lot . NCL since the NES days used extra chips in their Carts to help certain games . NCL obvioulsy thought that was more cost effective than putting the chips inside the consoles in the 1st place

True there were probably some games on snes that the vanilla genesis may have had a hard time handling, but the snes sure couldn't do very good ports of alien soldier, thunder force 4, etc so it's a wash
    F-Zero a Snes launch title and a standard cart was doing stuff that the MD drive just couldn't handle , there's plenty more . Sure I agree with on Thunder Force IV etc that's why I always say all systems have their plus and minus points

Also didn't nintendo purportedly do shady deals w third party companies behind the scenes to have them intentionally do a shittier ports of games on the genesis to make the snes seem better?
    That's the stuff of myth and fanboy nonsense . Funny too as many SNES fanboys make out EA set out to make their Snes ports of Mega Drive games far worse
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

What exactly caused you to turn on me again? Is it my lack of proper research in your estimation, or is it really just that Sony sucks and always has sucked? They actively put legitimate gaming companies out of business, how does this not offend you?
    Please, tell us more about how Sony has personally slighted you.

Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

Why couldn't the genesis do F zero exactly? Not so sure about that. Great NCL used chips.... Not sure how that's here or there but alright. And simply stating "a hell of a lot" leaves me feeling empty and unsatisfied. If you wanted to pinch pennies you could get a used 32x, or steal one for free. Either way the result is you have a sega console that could theoretically beat the snes like a red haired step child in terms of music/graphic capabilities. Pretty good for a console born in the eighties.

It kind of can do it:

Now the SNES still does it better (Full resolution at 60fps vs half resolution at ~27-30fps on the Genesis) but the Genesis can technically do it.

^That is awesome! It just needs an fx chip for additional blast processing then it's on! I thought snes sucked at resolution? How is f zero pulling that off?

Why couldn't the genesis do F zero exactly? Not so sure about that. Great NCL used chips.... Not sure how that's here or there but alright. And simply stating "a hell of a lot" leaves me feeling empty and unsatisfied. If you wanted to pinch pennies you could get a used 32x, or steal one for free. Either way the result is you have a sega console that could theoretically beat the snes like a red haired step child in terms of music/graphic capabilities. Pretty good for a console born in the eighties.
    So a serious, realistic and fair debate is out of the question is it ? . Carry on with your fanboy nonsense
    Last edited by Team Andromeda; 09-11-2016 at 06:32 PM.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

I'm not trying to ruffle your feathers, my apologies TA!

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    It kind of can do it:

Now the SNES still does it better (Full resolution at 60fps vs half resolution at ~27-30fps on the Genesis) but the Genesis can technically do it.
    How about we stop it with these tech demos done with today's knowledge base and tools sets? and let's compare games made at the time the consoles were out and with 90's levels of development tools, development time limits , 90's levels of development support , cart limits and so on in the interests of fairness . The Mega Drive didn't have hardware for scaling or rotation , otherwise they would be no need for the ASIC chip inside the Mega CD for starters so any major Snes Mode 7 would be though for the MD to handle - why is that so hard for people to accept , just like any major VDP 2 Saturn effect is tough for the PS to handle .

I really don't know why people get so worked up about pointing out hardware shortcomings of any system myself .
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    Please, tell us more about how Sony has personally slighted you.
    I agree with Sheath. Sony was a great blow to gaming in my opinion. Wish it was still just Nintendo and Sega.

^That is awesome! It just needs an fx chip for additional blast processing then it's on! I thought snes sucked at resolution? How is f zero pulling that off?
    It's being done entirely in software on the Genesis where as the SNES has hardware support for it. So the Genesis is rendering at half resolution for it where as the SNES is running at it's standard 256x224 resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    How about we stop it with these tech demos done with today's knowledge base and tools sets? and let's compare games made at the time the consoles were out and with 90's levels of development tools, development time limits , 90's levels of development support , cart limits and so on in the interests of fairness . The Mega Drive didn't have hardware for scaling or rotation , otherwise they would be no need for the ASIC chip inside the Mega CD for starters so any major Snes Mode 7 would be though for the MD to handle - why is that so hard for people to accept , just like any major VDP 2 Saturn effect is tough for the PS to handle .

I really don't know why people get so worked up about pointing out hardware shortcomings of any system myself .
    It's not like you couldn't do it with the tools back then either. It's just doing the approach in software. There are existing Genesis games from back then that do mode 7 like effects in software too. Puggsy does the Bowser style effect for one of it's bosses, and it does it even better than the SNES since it can still have a background layer:

@4:15

So why shouldn't something like what homebrew people have done count? It's not like the hardware magically got better or something.
    Last edited by TrekkiesUnite118; 09-11-2016 at 07:33 PM.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

^Not to mention the way the court turns in Dick Vitale's Awesome Baby! College Hoops. Plus wasn't the unreleased Wack Races a Mario Kart clone?

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    I agree with Sheath. Sony was a great blow to gaming in my opinion. Wish it was still just Nintendo and Sega.
    Nintendo made that monster, and Sega allowed them to come in(along with Microsoft later). I'm not upset though. Sega's properties can now be distributed to more than the one console. I mean, chances were Sega were never getting back into the handheld market anyway, so isn't it better to have the games there that you get nowadays? Though I could see them supporting tablets/phones even if they were still in the hardware market. They made PC ports for a lot of their games back in the day. Plus, with Sonic in 2 generations of Smash Bros., and the olympic games series, you can effectively take Sega and kick Nintendo's ass (or vice versa, but it's still an option nowadays).

When you're trying to prove what was possible, you've got to be able to take a consoles full potential into account, which now includes what fan programmers can do with it. It's no different than a 4 gigabyte chip to run Road Avenger on the SNES, except what's done with the Genesis is done on stock hardware.

As for voice sample clarity, whatever Stef did is all in an ips patch, which means it's a re-write of coding. All it would have taken for Capcom was to have had someone of Stef's level to do the same. Otherwise explain how the hardware itself is at fault when companies like Data East, Treasure, and even Sega's own E-SWAT have clear voice samples.
    Last edited by midnightrider; 09-11-2016 at 10:17 PM.

Banned by Administrators

In all honesty, I originally thought F-Zero was the future of 16-Bit racing games. Little did I know it would become the bane of 16-Bit racers. I've got the racing game roms organised and categorised for my fave 8-16 Bit consoles, and I can't believe how bad these mode 7 racers seem on SNES. Seems like the only good mode 7 racers are like F-Zero, Mario Kart and Street Racers. That's it.

And I never played other mode 7 games like Pilotwings (but assume that one is good, but it's only possible via cheater chip). But all other times I seen it in games it seems like just a marketing afterthought "Hey, mode 7 is all the rage. Lets create some quick and BS so we can show and write about it at the back of the box and in press." ie. Terminator VS Robocop, Turtles in Time, and Contra 3 mode 7 levels suck balls. What a waste of dev time and cart space.

Even mode 7 wannabe's like Axelay would have been better off without that effect and more like Life Force and Salamander 2 in my personal opinion.

So yeah, not having mode 7 wasn't a hardware limitation going by the mode 7 SNES games that used it.
    Last edited by Thief; 09-11-2016 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Because some are offended of "would of" instead of "would have" :p

Thread Information