Quantcast

Page 13 of 70 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do people have issues with others not being fans of the SNES?

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    Really? Thats why you've been away for 2 years and are still mad. Yeah I can tell how "not bothered" you are.

Oh btw keep those personal attacks coming. Makes you look really classy and grown up .. not.
    So, here is my attempt to reconcile with this group. Are you going to tell me you didn't troll my every post too? I really just want to talk about these good old games without all of that nonsense. Do you?
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Raging in the Streets

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    That's silly and like saying NCL forced N64 developers to use anti-aliasing, Z-buffering, trilinear filtering to make Saturn games look worse , or SONY forced PS developers to use half transparencies to make Saturn games look rubbish . Using a system hardware built in effects to make games look good , is why various effects were put into the Hardware in the 1st place
    I never said 100% CONFIRMED TRUE, just an off-hand comment I seen once.

Considering Sony had the no 2D games ever policy for a little while I wouldn't be surprised to hear if it was true.

Unless you're just fucking with me, I can't even tell.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    That's a bit silly. If we're comparing the hardware anything goes. Nothing is stopping you from bringing up SNES homebrew.
    His whole argument is nonsense IMO.
    We're talking about matrix multiplication and maybe some few other concepts from Linear Algebra; there's nothing new about that.
    MD's DMA usage, since when is that a new thing?
    Pre-calculated data, why is it any innovative?

It's actually the opposite, to be very honest. Developers nowadays know shit about Mathematics and how to optimize more complex calcs; they also know shit about low level programming or optimization in general. Most of the "magical" knowledge TA is referring to was "discovered" by reverse engineering 25-35 year old games.

Gimme a break.

Did I say they were? The ASIC in the Sega CD is more advanced than mode 7 in the SNES too. Though it's limited if I remember correctly by drive and bus speed so it can't go over 20-30fps.
    Despite of what TA says and dreams about, most of the games making heavy use of the ASIC were in the 10-15 fps range.

The Axelay effect is simply a VScroll exploit if I remember correctly from previous discussions.
    The torus effect is H-Int based and even older hardware can pull it off (maybe you can go further on the MD/SNES by combining other stuff, but the basics are there):

Mickey Mania and The Smurfs special stages also pull it off on the Mega Drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Folco View Post
    Those legitimate gaming companies put themselves out of business.
    No, man. It's Sony's fault that Sega decided to spend money in marvelous experiences such as the Activator.

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    With way more memory than would have been economically feasible at the time, and still worse in every respect than the SNES.
    Probably not economically feasible for 1990/1991 or maybe even 1992; but I don't see why it would cost more than those RPG carts with save RAM, for an example.

Banned by Administrators

Whoever said Ghouls N Ghosts was way better then Super Ghouls N Ghosts, I'm very curious if could you explain your opinion on this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    So, here is my attempt to reconcile with this group. Are you going to tell me you didn't troll my every post too? I really just want to talk about these good old games without all of that nonsense. Do you?
    No one trolled you. You simply couldn't handle being given information that didn't match up with your preconceived bias. If I really wanted to troll you there are far easier, and much more hilarious, ways to go about doing that.

Raging in the Streets

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    Whoever said Ghouls N Ghosts was way better then Super Ghouls N Ghosts, I'm very curious if could you explain your opinion on this matter.
    I much much much prefer Ghouls N Ghosts.

I never said that originally, but whoever did i'm throwing my hat into that ring too. Super GnG is a good game but GnG Classic (?) is an all-time great for me.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    Nobody trolled you. All Barone, Trekkies, myself and others did was to disagree with your narrative that Sony is the root of all evil and that Sega did absolutely nothing wrong EVAR. We then provided evidence in the form of facts to back up our points.
    Since when is disagreeing with someone the same as trolling them?
    TBH your behavior in the discussions is not what I would call saintly since when ever one of us would point out the fallacies in your narrative, you would respond with insults, name calling and other personal attacks (calling Barone and Trekkies names, accusing me of being an alt for them etc). A case of pot meet kettle indeed. If you want to talk about the old games without any of the "nonsense" (as you refer to it) then I'd suggest sticking to that instead of trying to rewrite history. Maybe then we can get back to a more positive discussion on our favorite games/systems instead of you crapping all over the ones you don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Mickey Mania and The Smurfs special stages also pull it off on the Mega Drive.
    Sonic 3D's too (look at the background).

The special stages in Sonic 3D are quite a thing. They tried pretty hard to make it look like the floor is real 3D polygons, to the point of intentionally faking the pop up effect in the distance. Huh? o_O

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Probably not economically feasible for 1990/1991 or maybe even 1992; but I don't see why it would cost more than those RPG carts with save RAM, for an example.
    64KB of static RAM? Are you sure? I don't recall RPGs using up that much memory (and even then they were still pretty expensive, though ROM sizes didn't help either).

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    64KB of static RAM? Are you sure? I don't recall RPGs using up that much memory (and even then they were still pretty expensive, though ROM sizes didn't help either).
    Some of the later released RPG games used 32 KB and a few used 64 KB of RAM.

Star Fox was released in 1993 and it used a Super FX chip, 32 KB of RAM and a 8 Mbit ROM.
    Civilization released in 1994 had 32 KB of RAM and it used a 10 Mbit ROM.
    Stunt Race FX was released in 1994 with Super FX chip, 64 KB of RAM and 8 Mbit ROM.
    Super Mario World 2 - Yoshi's Island released in 1995 had a Super FX2 chip, 32 KB of RAM and 16 Mbit ROM.

F-Zero was a 4 Mbit ROM. Even if you needed/wanted an 8 Mbit ROM for the MD version, I feel like 64 KB of RAM wasn't really out of reach for a major 1993 release, for an example.
    Last edited by Barone; 09-12-2016 at 12:02 PM.

Master of Shinobi

Now that we are in rom sizes, why was there some sort of ban from SoJ on 32 meg games? Why the SNES has way more bigger carts? I know MD could decompress art etc faster, allowing for more compression, but I'm guessing that doesn't explain that difference.

And a more general question: why were there way more expensive carts (in production costs: extra chips, more ROM) produced for the SNES than for the MD ? Weren't the licensing fees a bit lower on the Sega side? Why that SVP Virtua Racing pricing debacle? I never got that

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Gogogadget View Post
    I much much much prefer Ghouls N Ghosts.

I never said that originally, but whoever did i'm throwing my hat into that ring too. Super GnG is a good game but GnG Classic (?) is an all-time great for me.
    It's true that the gap between these games is greatly reduced when you actually play both...

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    Because GnG is a proper game, instead a bullet time game Super GnG is? Seriously, I really like GnG games, but "Super" was pretty dissapointed from gameplay point of view.

I think SGnG is better because the double jump makes for better/challenging platforming, while the ability to fire up and down in GnG makes most sub-weapons superfluous (similar to why I prefer Bloodlines to SCIV).

Banned by Administrators

Ok, I was just curious. Have some nostalgic memories of seeing someone play SGnG a few times before I finally got my SNES. Never did end up getting SGnG, and I kind of regret it now. Either way, the GnG series looks very promising and always mean to one day give some serious playtime.

I guess this is the best thread to post this, specially since it will annoy TA.

Gecko's life is pretty rough at the moment, if you guys want more undeniable proof of just how good the YM2612 really is, please consider helping the guy out:
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...=XSS2UJKTWQG3C
    Last edited by Kamahl; 09-12-2016 at 05:23 PM.

Thread Information