Quantcast

Page 1 of 70 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do people have issues with others not being fans of the SNES?

SNES Why do people have issues with others not being fans of the SNES?

This is not a topic about bashing the SNES as I have one myself.

It seems you can't say anything constructively negatively about the SNES or else you get bashed by people for having a different opinion. I never grew up with one early on, but had an NES after being born for a few years and a Genesis followed by a PlayStation in 97. I had played the system at a friend's house around 1999 or 2000. After that, never played an SNES again until late 2005, so I don't have any nostalgia for it. In these 11 years, I find it to be the most overrated game system of all time. That does not mean I hate Nintendo. I enjoy the system, though after getting an NES again in 2009, I'm just not impressed with the 16-bit machine as I am with the 8-bit machine as far as a game library goes.

I really loved Super Castlevania and Link to the Past. The Tiny Toon games were very fun. Yoshi's Island was technically impressive and felt very fresh. Some of the later NHL games were fantastic.

On the other hand, I found Mario World to be disappointing and the original DKC to be a borefest (DKC 2 is better). TMNT IV is far from the best beat-em-up ever. Maybe because I never really got into the genre, but I don't get the big fuss about the RPG's (Though, to be fair, I never really got into any on any other system except Sword of Vermilion.)

Most other titles I have range in the decent to good category with only a few really bad titles like Batman Forever (Returns is the better of the movie based Batman titles on SNES) But overall, I just don't find the SNES to be as an impressive leap forward compared to the NES and I say as someone that owns those two plus an N64, Wii, and the Game Boy line of handhelds (GB, GBC, GBA). I never understood why you can't share a different non trolling opinion about the system.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

I agree 100% on this. In my experience, for every 1 individual who will diss the SNES, there are 9 more to follow suit with the Genesis.

So. To answer your question, there were many more Nintendo units (consoles/handhelds) sold than there were Sega units sold. This made for more Nintendo fans than Sega Fans. That made for more fanboys (not fans) on both sides; with the SNErdS taking the lead. The math is simple. SNErdS will feel the need to be hatin' . Take out the die-hard irrational fanboys from both sides, and you still get more Nintendo fans than Sega fans. You can't help it.

And on that same note: Fuuuuuck do I hate irrational fanboys. I'm a die-hard Sega Genesis fan; and even I will admit there are amazing games to be played on the SNES. Why is it so fucking hard for SNES fanboys to admit the same about the Genesis?

And, no, the SNES is not "better" at multiplats! I have experienced many from both sides and I also own both systems. I will argue that most multiplats were better on the Genesis. That's right. Mortal Kombat II was immensely better on the Genesis than on the SNES... I'm looking in your direction, John Tobias .

QuickSciFi, once again, hits the nail on the head.

Maybe I should just stop replying.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by sull56ivan2010 View Post
    I found Mario World to be disappointing
    If you're going to talk shit about a Mario game, insult Mario Teaches Typing or Mario Is Missing (worst SNES game I ever paid full price for) or even Super Mario Land with it's retarded reverse gravity fire flower that only hits your enemy if it's 5 pixels away from you. I personally think Super Mario World is the best game in the series and even if you don't agree, who the hell would call it a bad game, it'd be the equivalent of calling Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band an unimpressive album, even Joe from Game Sack likes the game and he highly prefers SEGA over Nintendo. I recommend playing more than the first level of Super Mario World.

Lord of the Obscure Wildside Expert LordGeo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    I'm a die-hard Sega Genesis fan; and even I will admit there are amazing games to be played on the SNES. Why is it so fucking hard for SNES fanboys to admit the same about the Genesis?

And, no, the SNES is not "better" at multiplats! I have experienced many from both sides and I also own both systems. I will argue that most multiplats were better on the Genesis. That's right. Mortal Kombat II was immensely better on the Genesis than on the SNES... I'm looking in your direction, John Tobias .
    The biggest thing about the Genesis is that some of it's best & coolest games are not immediately known to most fanboys at large. It's a bit of a false divergence, because all you ever really see whenever people tout what each system had is "SNES had [insert most Nintendo games, Contra III, FInal Fantasy "II" or "III", etc.]!" & "All Genesis had was [insert Sonic the Hedgehog, sports games (which is seemingly the only thing SNES fanboys will admit Genesis had better), etc.]!". Very rarely will you hear about lesser spoken games on the Genesis which were still outstanding, which winds up making it seem like the Genesis had nothing but hype behind it, even though hype alone would not have kept the system above the SNES in terms of sales until 1995, when both Donkey Kong Country gave Nintendo a giant boost & Sega of America was forced by Sega of Japan to put much less attention to the Genesis because of the Saturn's release. I think a lot of the hardcore SNES fanboys simply believe in the phrase "Give an inch, and they take a yard". They feel like if they give the Genesis fanboys the credit when it's due, then it somehow devalues their choice of system.

As for the whole multiplat battle, I think one of the best shows I watch that covers this topic is Console Wars, specifically the one done by Dan & Greg. They've generally been as fair & equal regarding the games they cover with both the SNES & Genesis versions, & fans who have kept count have noticed that Dan & Greg have (for the most part) inadvertently come out relatively even when it comes to which system had the better multiplat, or better similar game.

Master of Shinobi

Super Mario World is one of my all-time favorite games, as is Mega Man X. Yoshi's Island isn't too shabby, either. And the first Parodius is one of my favorite imports.

SNES has some of my top titles ever, but I find myself enjoying more titles on Genesis and NES. Part of it was that I had more exposure to both during my collecting years because the games were cheaper because they were more abundant used. SNES games were often too expensive and over-hyped. I miss the days when Mario World could be purchased for a mere five dollars, though. NES has many games that are not always so much as bad as misunderstood because of the vague objectives that arcade games had back then. Good stuff, though, and very simple to jump in to. The vagueness though also made them more interesting to study and learn.

It has been said time and time again that the abundance of RPGs versus arcade action fare on SNES vs. Genesis is one example of how each has a particular emphasis. I honestly, even when I was engrossed in emulation, playing more Genesis stuff than SNES, so the collecting thing wasn't a factor. I know the Gen/MD library religiously. Besides sports games, which are all the same to me (unless its something niche), there are virtually no games, licensed or unlicensed, imported or domestic, that I am not overall conscious of on some level or another. And despite this overt familiarity, I still enjoy them immensely. On the other hand, many of the SNES titles I've studied in the library end up in the Trash Bin (the ROMs, that is). I don't have a good history of completing RPGs to begin with, and the genre is a no-no for me except in rare instances where I'll actually indulge one, so Genesis having a smaller but quality selection is more ideal, such as Shining Force or Phantasy Star IV. The 'action' games on SNES often tended to be platformers that are largely forgettable. I can't name how many times when I bought the cartridges that I felt I paid too much for a mediocre game. Genesis never left me with as much resentment. Hell, even TG16/PCE which I know almost entirely through emulation, is more interesting. A lot of weird titles on it, too.

The fanboys are a lot more hardcore on the Nintendo side. A lot of the forums I've visited over the years seem to always prefer SNES and do nothing but bash Genesis while knowing next to nothing about it. There will be like one Sega guy and he'll get ripped into by a bunch of retards who can't name a Genesis game other than Sonic... To some degree I would attribute that to the sub-group of fanboys for SNES that were/are absolutely indulged in the JRPG selection of the SNES that is lacking on Genesis. Mix a JRPG fanatic with a Nintendo fanboy and you get a rabid result who can only look back at the SNES with purely rose-colored glasses, but who incidentally also hate Nintendo ever since the N64, many of which have since converted to hardcore PlayStation fandom.

Funny thing is I grew up mostly with the SNES and had little time spent with the Genesis back in the day by comparison. Liked it, just didn't play it much. I realize now many years later, how hard it is to actually say which console is better, even though most of my nostalgia is with the SNES. SNES is a great system and so is Genesis, except Genesis gets all kinds of hate from people who never really played it, and who feel it's inferior for not having all of the classic RPGs on it. Seemingly the only cred that counts with these people, is RPG cred. I don't have that hangup, because I never played RPGs as a kid. IMO, it doesn't give that much leverage to SNES. There's actually a lot more on the Genesis than Sonic and sports. I guess the marketing couldn't compete with Nintendo's built-in audience at the time. A lot of Genesis stuff went under the radar. How many people actually read Sega Visions?

I dunno, I don't see a good reason to hate either of these consoles, or to peg either as being just mediocre, or overrated.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Well, let's see:
    *The only place people talk about the older side of gaming all that much is on the internet.
    *The internet allows people to anonymously gather together to talk about the things that they are/were into that are/were not as popular.
    *The SNES is full of Japanese RPG's, one of those very things that has not been particularly popular, barring an occasionally overhyped PS1 game, or particular children's license
    *Mix anonymous nerds together to wax nostalgic about Squaresoft's "best" era, and welcome to the birth of the SNErdS.

There's no SNES RPG that sold more than 3.2 million in Japan(which sold about 17 million SNES units, and is the ONLY reason the SNES comes out ahead of the Genesis on a worldwide scale), and the one game that did, never left Japan, because that's how well that genre did in the West. So you tell me how Final Fantasy II/III, Earthbound(not even 500,000 worldwide), Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger(which may have finally sold more than 3 million units worldwide in 21 years, due to the DS and mobile ports), etc., are the greatest games ever. Oh and add Super Metroid(1 million, out of 49 million owners of the console, let alone all console owners of the time) to that list. So influential, it got 10's of indie developers to make games just like it: http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/...makers-w436815

Point: Take internet nerds with a grain of salt.

Master of Shinobi

I was going to mention the lack of JRPG popularity in the West during its hey-dey. Thank you, Midnight.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

I Also wanted to add that sull56ivan2010 is free to not be enamored with Super Mario World, as much as anyone is free to not be enamored with Sonic. Don't get on his case because it's not one of his favorites when it's one of yours. That's exactly the type of mentality he's talking about in that first post.

Wildside Expert

Fanboys are annoying no matter which side they are on (and yes, there are definitely some Sega fanboys out there).

The top SNES games generally had a much higher polish to them than a lot of the Genesis games. It's not really surprising given that Nintendo/Square/Enix put so much time and money into their games. They had an extremely strong user base so they were willing to have massive teams devote years to development. I think that level of refinement attracts people these days when they dust off their SNESs.

Sega, on the other hand, was unwilling or unable to put as much into the games they developed in most cases. We've all read about the 3-month turnarounds and high pressure involved in all of the licensing titles that Sega was pushing. However, it's that unrefined quick-and-dirty feel that makes me actually prefer a lot of Sega titles. It's amazing what a team of 3-4 developers under tight deadlines were able to put together to rival the might of Nintendo, even if it didn't have the same level of polish.

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

Is there a list anywhere of the top selling SNES games in NA/Europe that's accurate?

I had a SNES growing up and played the Genesis occasionally at friends' houses. I used to love everything about it. Games like Mario Allstars, DKC, Gradius 3, Starfox, Yoshi, Power Rangers, F-Zero, Ninja Warriors used to be my favorites but since really delving into the Genesis and to a lesser extent the NES/FC, it just doesn't hold up. The games that I used to love just don't hold my attention, the music that used to sound so good to me now sounds hollow and bland, and I know that there are equivalents on the MD/FC that are more fun to me. Once I went MD/MCD I never went back.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Social Justice Ninja Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

yeah, im with QuickSciFi - though i find it weirder when us sega fans pretend there's not some absolute greats/classics on the SNES.

when it's the other way around though, a lotta times it's borne of ignorance - how many times have you asked what that person's played and heard altered beast, sonic, maybe streets of rage (if that) and not much else?

imagine how turbo fans feel, haha.

Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Tower of Power's Avatar

Well, first of all, as far as I know, the Genesis sold better in the US and I think PAL too, so if anything, on an English speaking Internet, you'd expect more Genesis fan boys. The reason you don't I think is because Nintendo has been keeping the "flame" of their franchises going, and Nintendo having the "best" first party games has been repeated so many times that people accept it as fact even if it might not be true. Some of the best Genesis games are barely ever talked about, even in their day.

Secondly, I think the SNES represents a point in time when game design really split. Due to the hardware not being as suitable for twitch style arcade games, increasing cart sizes, and battery backup saved games, games on the SNES trended towards being slower and easier, with more content that's revealed over a long period of time, and more people were able to pick up and play and master them. It doesn't take any fast reflexes or much memorization to master something like Final Fantasy III/VI, mostly just grinding and exploring. This means more people can enjoy them and connect with them.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    In my experience, SNES versions tend to look better but play worse (broken physics or stuff like that). I guess it was harder to program for the 65816 than the 68000 and that is a problem when you're trying to meet a deadline.

Thread Information