Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dyna Brothers: How to Play

Master of Shinobi

Megadrive Dyna Brothers: How to Play

EDIT:
    The FAQ is now hosted here:

https://goo.gl/Zu1Ikt

This is so it can be located on one single site and referenced wherever so that each post doesn't have to be edited on different sites.

Remember, it's a work-in-progress. Contribute any information you have to add here.
    Last edited by Jeckidy; 01-14-2017 at 02:25 AM.

Master of Shinobi

I'm actually sending some inquiries to the game's original developers concerning Dyna Brothers. Will keep you updated. In the meantime, let me know what's going on.

Master of Shinobi

also Dyna Brothers 2 which doubles the MEGA POWER up to 16 meg, both always looked good... why such games are this obscure when some others get hacked/analyzed to death? Is it just the language barrier? Or the genre?

Master of Shinobi

The Dyna Brothers soundtrack project which I have been trying to realize in the last week has finally come to fruition. Download the package here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/86...ange_Album.zip

Basically, the original composer created arranged versions of selected tracks from the soundtrack and offered them on his website. However, to hear them as they were meant to be, he suggested listening to them on a Roland SC-55, which was one of the first general MIDI sound modules and quite popular with PC gamers back in the days of DOS. Our friend from Vogons, James-F, kindly recorded them through his own personal SC-55 hardware, edited them for consistency, and then sent me the files in FLAC format as I suggested, from which I then tagged them. So here they are. Let me know what you think and feel free to ask any questions about Dyna Brothers and further the topic of this thread.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Thanks for sharing!
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Master of Shinobi

*bump* Scored a loose DB2 for Mega Drive on eBay yesterday for a bargain! Looking forward to getting it! Basically like the first but with more content and adds the pterodactyl as a new character. Hope you guys learn to enjoy this game as much as I have!

Master of Shinobi

*bump* Still interested in finishing FAQs for DB1 and 2. Why so little love? The Genesis doesn't have that many strategy games to begin with and this one is certainly charming and unique.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

I played the first one a while ago. I noticed that it didn't have that much text for the most part. I could translate at least the first one if there was someone willing to dump the script. I believe the 2nd game has much more text, probably they wanted to cram more story into it in order to flesh out the world. Overall, pretty fun but rather obscure games. It's true that there aren't that many strategy games on the system for one reason or another, but - interestingly - they constitute the largest group of untranslated SMD games. I guess Japanese people really like their strategy titles.

Master of Shinobi

I prefer strategy games over standard JRPGs. So for me, Shining Force >>> Phantasy Star.

The second one offers more content and modes than the first, but translating the first would still be worthwhile since it would give people all the scenarios to play through. Logically, both should be translated and played in order. Players should look at the sequel as somewhat of an expansion pack.

Master of Shinobi

I've already told Tryphon that if he's willing, I will take up the task of translating both Dyna Brothers games. I know just enough Japanese to do the job, and don't have any trouble understanding the dialogue (although as nice as it sounds that all the text is in kana, it's more confusing because of the lack of kanji). SpaceFlea has offered to scan the manuals for me so I can understand the back story and anything I'm missing in the FAQ.

Looking forward to it.

I think there was some kanji in Dyna Brothers 2 at least, unlike DB 1. DB 2 also seems to have a lot more text to deal with. There are some hacking materials for Dyna Brothers 1 on ROMhacking.net, namely a starter pack that takes care of script extraction and insertion, as well as the bitmap dumper and inserter. I would love to see both of these games translated at some point. While I'm more of a straight up RPG gamer, it makes me happy whenever a new SFC/SMD translation of any game pops up.

WCPO Agent

I answer here if you don't mind. I'm now mainly focused on the Lord Monarch translation and my Shinobi port project. But above all, I'm currently in a very busy time concerning my job (and it should remain tense up to May, with some cooler weeks but not many).

That said, I *think* (can't be sure, and Lord Monarch is my priority) I'll have time in 2-3 weeks to give an eye to at least one of the two games. If it's easy to hack, I wan do the hacking or at least give directions on how to do it.

I don't know those games at all. I saw a walkthough of round 1, it seemed there were very few texts, just simple sentences when selecting something ? Or is there a real script ?

From what I've seen, DB 1 has some bits and pieces of the story, but very little menu text, if any. DB 2 has way more story, maybe even in the Lord Monarch range, but they still kept the icon menu system. I haven't played either of them fully, mind you (got about 90% through the first one though), but DB 1 is rather text-light compared with the second game. I've just found out that there is an extraction/insertion pack for DB 1 on ROMhacking.net in the Abandoned section, but I don't know how good it is.
    Last edited by cccmar; 01-25-2017 at 08:00 AM.

WCPO Agent

The RHDN tool might be worth a try. I don't feel like I'll go in another "big" project like LM soon. I need to breathe with some homebrew dev

Master of Shinobi

Thank you guys for your response, and I appreciate the work you've done for the MD hacking and translation community. Yes, the second has more dialogues and kanji. I already mentioned that the game is more icon-driven so it's not too hard with some instructions to know what to do. The story and dialogues aren't complex. Again, it's just the issues with fitting the text because the boxes are already so small to begin with, and I'm already trying to figure out how to shorten words to get them to fit without coming across as tacky or even cutting out essential words, in case that problem arises in hacking.

Thread Information