Quantcast

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mega/Sega CD console prices

Sega CD Mega/Sega CD console prices

How come they've gotten so expensive all of a sudden? Most listings currently on Ebay are ridiculous at over $100 US dollars, and even the broken for parts are expensive. Did something happen recently regarding Sega CD that it got so expensive? I don't want to think this is the next Neo Geo in regards to collecting.

Probably one person raises the price and everyone follows suit.

A few years ago I sold a model 2 set up with 32X region free modded, had a few games. Some nut case bid it up to over $600!

I thought back then, maybe this is how it will go?
    Thank you for donating to the Sega 16 bit manuals!

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

SegaCD has been heating up a lot recently, I'm not exactly sure why though. You look at stuff like Keio and it's like hands down now the most expensive Sega game that was sold at retail. Even Snatcher is pretty high up there too. Maybe the hardware is getting a boosted effect from the high profile games as well. I've got a number of extra units I need to get rid of myself, I wound up with a number of them when I buying lots BITD.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Tower of Power's Avatar

Poor marketing, association with FMV games, and crap like the AVGN video kept the price of the Sega CD depressed for a long time. People are starting to realize that there's a lot more for it than just FMV games and Genesis ports, and demand is heating up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tower of Power View Post
    Poor marketing, association with FMV games, and crap like the AVGN video kept the price of the Sega CD depressed for a long time. People are starting to realize that there's a lot more for it than just FMV games and Genesis ports, and demand is heating up.
    Time to stock up on them cheap FMV games and shovelware for when they hit +$100 CIB (which some already are ironically).

Social Justice Ninja Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

yeah, the software's been jumping up the last few years (man, all my sega holdout scenes have been infected by the bubble...), so this isn't surprising. as a fan of the model 1, ive seen dead ones go for like $100, that's crazy - even if it's prolly an easy fix.

Road Rasher

Some of the garbage AVGN has against Sega in general is pretty rediculous. I used to find some of his videos entertaining but it got old pretty quick. And his friend has very limited ability to entertain at all...

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jadty View Post
    Time to stock up on them cheap FMV games and shovelware for when they hit +$100 CIB (which some already are ironically).
    Yeah, one that I saw recently for the SegaCD that blew my mind was the 3 Ninjas Kick back double pack. It went for like almost a $100 a couple months ago, which is nuts. Looks like it's a bit lower now. I wonder if it's some sort of halo effect from the SNES release which is pretty uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by CasetheCorvetteman View Post
    Some of the garbage AVGN has against Sega in general is pretty rediculous. I used to find some of his videos entertaining but it got old pretty quick. And his friend has very limited ability to entertain at all...
    Yeah, there's a reason he started out as the Angry Nintendo Nerd so his bias is pretty obvious.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by omp View Post
    Probably one person raises the price and everyone follows suit.

A few years ago I sold a model 2 set up with 32X region free modded, had a few games. Some nut case bid it up to over $600!

I thought back then, maybe this is how it will go?
    this never happens and has never happened either. the whole concept of free market flies above you? or you really believe all those ebay sellers make price-deals with each other?

this is simple supply and demand. sega cd has finally gotten more respect, what it deserves and people now want one

this sums it up well

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    this never happens and has never happened either. the whole concept of free market flies above you? or you really believe all those ebay sellers make price-deals with each other?

this is simple supply and demand. sega cd has finally gotten more respect, what it deserves and people now want one
    Yep, it never happened champ! Comments like yours (calling me a fucking liar) is why I don't frequent these fucking forums anymore.

Thank you for donating to the Sega 16 bit manuals!

^please don't take his "free market" nonsense to heart, man - your contributions here have been awesome! and the lack of replies is prolly based on the eye-rolling whenever anyone claims the reseller-driven retro bubble is is simple supply & demand, even after all the shill bidding/price fixing we've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by omp View Post
    Yep, it never happened champ! Comments like yours (calling me a fucking liar) is why I don't frequent these fucking forums anymore.

Self pity is really the way forward to go in life. and what kind of proof is that link supposed to be? You have no idea what you are talking about.

I'm not only a videogame collector but also somewhat for comic books and mostly tintin. That collection scene is much older than the game scene and prices there range for a first print black and white tintin as literally unpayayable (65.000 euros for one copy of Tintin au Congo) and the later colored first presses can now cost you easily over 1.000 euros and there were a LOT more pressed from those, then there are saturn games. and keep in mind these comics of tintin cost 0.20 euro or something like that in the 50s and have basically more than thousand-folded in price

the same will happen with games in the next decades. that's why I'm getting as much as I can now. I read a book about a tintin collector who personally knew herge, his collection is estimated to be worth ten million dollars and it's only tintin. not that he will ever sell it and he basically got nearly everything for next to nothing. just being at the right place at the right time.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Prince Talmit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post

Bullshit bultje112.
    He didn't imply that "all those ebay sellers make price-deals with each other". Don't put words in his mouth.

I've seen it happen regularly over the 15 years that I've been using eBay. Somewhat recently Robo Aleste went from $20 CIB to over $100 CIB. The supply is still here. It is simply that the price spiked at one point to $150 (for whatever reason), but now anyone listing a CIB Robo Aleste will ask for ~$150. The supply nor the demand really changed, just the expected "value" changed.
    Take a look at eBay US, the supply is the same as it ever was, and the lack of sales at full asking price would indicate that demand hasn't really increased. People are bidding the game up higher than before, in relation to the inflated BIN asking prices. Yet because one person was able to sell at a higher price, everyone else with a BIN listing follows suit.
    Last edited by Prince Talmit; 11-18-2016 at 03:56 PM.

oh, so it's just following the tintin model - okay then, most insightful

Thread Information