Quantcast

Thread: I've inherited an NES.

Default I've inherited an NES

So one of my coworkers after hearing about my Famicom was surprised I never had an NES and gave me one of his. It's a Front Loader NES and he said if I can get it working it's mine. It had the blinking issue so I disabled the NES10 Lockout chip on it and that got it working with some games, though others still had issues so I'm guessing I'll need to clean/fix/replace the 72-pin connector. I was going to try the boil method I saw floating around on Nintendo Age first and see how that works.

However the cartridge door is broken on the system. It has a big crack and one of the nubs that holds it in place is broken off. I've seen some replacements floating around places like this:

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/nes-flip-top-door.html
    https://console5.com/store/nintendo-...placement.html

I was wondering if anyone here has purchased those and knows how good they are?

I'm also going to need to get at lease one controller for it but I have no idea what's a good deal on an original one.
    Last edited by TrekkiesUnite118; 09-25-2016 at 10:04 PM.

I finally got an NES earlier this year from a garage sale I literally stumbled upon in my neighborhood and it also had the blinking light error (bad connection).

The problem with mine was of course the 72-pin connector; some suggestions were to hand-bend the pins: forget that. Try the boiling method, and really boil that sucker. I was able to get games to start afterwards and play for a few moments until eventually the video cut out. My 72-pin was shot.

After bugging a few people this seller answered a few of my questions and sold me this replacement:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-NES-72-P...sAAOSw9NdXs0mP

My NES works perfect now, and if you do replace the pin connector I recommend just inserting your games rather than insert and spring-loading them which bends the pins.

boiling works also give it a good scrub with some isopropyl alcohol

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I often use a cartridge port cleaning kit to keep my NES running. I also find that giving your carts a good cleaning will allow the games to run, even though they can be quite problematic.

This site has some good tips.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/nes...aintenance.htm
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I often use a cartridge port cleaning kit to keep my NES running. I also find that giving your carts a good cleaning will allow the games to run, even though they can be quite problematic.

This site has some good tips.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/nes...aintenance.htm
    Cleaning is one of the first things I try with any system. It didn't really seem to make any difference in this case.

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

The cheap replacement cart doors are good enough replacements. I bought a couple to refurbish some ████ed up NES systems I gave to relatives and friends. The biggest issue in refurbishing an NES is to remember to slot the mainboard into the tab on the cart loading assembly properly, otherwise you'll warp the board when you screw everything back together.

Seems that boiling the 72 pin connector did the trick. It's working every time now.

I used a dead Game genie cart, de-soldered the pin connector. Cut the cart slot part of the 72 pin connector off. Soldered the game genie pin connector on, araldite'd the whole show nice and solid.

Starts every time no drama. Can't push the game down, but when the door closes you can't see it anyway.
    Thank you for donating to the Sega 16 bit manuals!

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by omp View Post
    I used a dead Game genie cart, de-soldered the pin connector. Cut the cart slot part of the 72 pin connector off. Soldered the game genie pin connector on, araldite'd the whole show nice and solid.

Starts every time no drama. Can't push the game down, but when the door closes you can't see it anyway.
    This is essentially what the Blinking Light Win does right? Replace the ZIF part with something the cart actually connects to all the time?
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    This is essentially what the Blinking Light Win does right? Replace the ZIF part with something the cart actually connects to all the time?
    Yes, no more "hoping it works", it works.

I managed to find an old pic of it, buried deep in my imgur account lol!

Thank you for donating to the Sega 16 bit manuals!

Thread Information