Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Interest in Doing Sega CD Translations?

Quote Originally Posted by bagmahnutz View Post
    +100
    People like that don't really understand that a game is first and foremost a game. Everything else is secondary, including story, dialogue, script etc. No matter how good those things might be.
    Story wasn't changed and only meaningless parts of the script changed, compare what Working Desgins did with Lunar, to what SONY did with Grandia for the USA and its a complete non-contest and who else other than WD what have brought Popful Mail to the Sega CD in 1995 ?
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by bagmahnutz View Post
    +100
    People like that don't really understand that a game is first and foremost a game. Everything else is secondary, including story, dialogue, script etc. No matter how good those things might be.
    I completely disagree. The ruined Eternal Blue with GAMEPLAY changes. Popful Mail was utterly destroyed by the idiotic changes they made to the gameplay and there was practically NO translation. It is about as much of a translation as basterdised US shit like Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z (ed)!

A game is not just about gameplay in an RPG, what a stupid thing to say. It is about the game play and characters and how much the story and dialogue draws you into the game and makes you care about the characters. Eternal Blue had way too much changed and they ruined many important scenes with their inane Americanised rubbish. And again, the gameplay was changed for the worst.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by SegaSonic91 View Post
    I completely disagree. The ruined Eternal Blue with GAMEPLAY changes. Popful Mail was utterly destroyed by the idiotic changes they made to the gameplay and there was practically NO translation. It is about as much of a translation as basterdised US shit like Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z (ed)!

A game is not just about gameplay in an RPG, what a stupid thing to say. It is about the game play and characters and how much the story and dialogue draws you into the game and makes you care about the characters. Eternal Blue had way too much changed and they ruined many important scenes with their inane Americanised rubbish. And again, the gameplay was changed for the worst.
    Of course you disagree. Don't put words in my mouth, friend. And don't insult me. That's not very nice.
    I said that a game is first and foremost a game. I didn't single out RPGs like you're doing. If you want a good story go read a good novel.
    I'm a story person myself. A good story is very important in a game. Even more important is how the story is told.
    But a good story can't make up for bad gameplay. And a bad story can't unmake great gameplay.
    Last edited by bagmahnutz; 12-10-2016 at 01:14 PM.

Banned by Administrators

^ How did he insult you?

Even tho I enjoyed both Lunar games on the Sega CD I was very annoyed at Victor's "Pay to Save" shit he added in Eternal Blue. Only a jackass would want to punish a player like that.
    05/05/15

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I really get upset and peed off when I see comments like that . Overlooking the great work done for the voice acting and on the translations them self's (who else would bring Popful mail over to the USA ?) There's the quality on the packaging them self's - full-colour scans on the CD discs, full-colour manuals applied foil stamps and all the Japanese artwork lept in tact . Compared to dire rubbish that passed for most USA translations of JP game black and white manuals, shaemful rubbish USA artwork used on the front cobver and not even colour scans on the CD themself's Working Desgins were leaps and bounds over the rest and I'll always be thankful for them to be able to play Lunar 1 and II in english
    Probably one of those guys who thinks everyone should know japanese therms and jokes and keep them without any changes in a localization.
    I have nothing to complain about WD works despise their mistake on Exile 2 code, making the game almost impossible, and their mess with character names in Shining Wisdom, but Sega already did the same with SF1 and SFCD, so no news here.

Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    Even tho I enjoyed both Lunar games on the Sega CD I was very annoyed at Victor's "Pay to Save" shit he added in Eternal Blue. Only a jackass would want to punish a player like that.
    Something that never bothered me, since the amount of points you need to save is so small for the entire game. Still a weird decision since have no function overall.

Huh Lunar 2 gameplay was unchanged and the story exactly the same . Yes you can bring up the save system and that's a fair point, but it was dropped for the PS version anyway . Also, I'm not Japanese and so anytime in Lunar the script was making references to Japanese politics or the like it would be utterly meaningless anyway even if WD kept it in . Popful mail gameplay was mostly unchnaged just made little harder that's all but its still not really a hard game as for no translation what the hell ? It had had over 3 hours of diloaue and text that needed to be translated with 39 speaking parts ! .

I know it cool to knock Working Desgins and vic, but think you're going OTT myself
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

My friend compared the JP and US versions of Popful Mail, and they were actually pretty accurate. Sure, those stupid accents of the voice acting made a big difference, and the pop cultural references (Donald Trump!) were of course there (though they weren't that many), but for the most part the translation was pretty faithful.

Anyway, I'd MUCH, MUCH, MUCH rather see a new translation of a previously untranslated game than a re-translation.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Huh Lunar 2 gameplay was unchanged and the story exactly the same . Yes you can bring up the save system and that's a fair point, but it was dropped for the PS version anyway . Also, I'm not Japanese and so anytime in Lunar the script was making references to Japanese politics or the like it would be utterly meaningless anyway even if WD kept it in . Popful mail gameplay was mostly unchnaged just made little harder that's all but its still not really a hard game as for no translation what the hell ? It had had over 3 hours of diloaue and text that needed to be translated with 39 speaking parts ! .

I know it cool to knock Working Desgins and vic, but think you're going OTT myself
    *sigh* The whole point is that THERE WERE NO REFERENCES TO JAPANESE POLITICS in the original! They bunches of text and just re-wrote it any way they pleased. It was NOT translated. Same goes for the "jokes".

And yes, the gameplay was changed. Not only the idiotic save system, but stupid changes to balance, encount rate among other things. You do not seem to get the fact that I dearly love the MCD LUNAR games, and Game Arts pre-PS2. This is why I take offence to whst was done to those games and I will express that if I feel like it.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    My friend compared the JP and US versions of Popful Mail, and they were actually pretty accurate. Sure, those stupid accents of the voice acting made a big difference, and the pop cultural references (Donald Trump!) were of course there (though they weren't that many), but for the most part the translation was pretty faithful.

Anyway, I'd MUCH, MUCH, MUCH rather see a new translation of a previously untranslated game than a re-translation.
    I didn't think they did a lot of translation with Popful Mail at all. I think it is by far their worst Americanisation (can't call that an "English version") of them all. The stupid name changes were bad enough "I'm Mail, Poful Mail!", ugh. The horrible game changes they made were by far more offensive than their "translation", though. They butchered the game play so badly. Changing the price of the invincibility gem from 100 gold to 1500 gold being one of the worst. I am just glad I had the Jp version completed 3 times before I managed to buy the US version backbin 1996. I managed to finish it, but damn was it painful...

I do agree with the sentiment that new games should be translated, like the aforementioned and rather amazing 3X3 EYES (that will never happen, it has thousands of pages of text along the lines of Tengai Makyou II. But re-translating games that had official translations on consoles has been happening for years. Why the fuck am I getting so much shit for saying I would love to see the same thing happen to the best games on my beloved MEGA-CD and 2 of my 3 favourite games ever?

I don't know how the Japanese version of Popful Mail is so I won't comment on that... but oh gosh the voice acting. Mail was sorta bearable but everybody else? What the heck is up with the massive overacting? x_X The only good thing is that the recording is pretty crystal clear (I suck horribly at spoken English so trust me this one is huge - seems to be a thing with 4th gen CD games in general, in later games accents come in full force in the most non-understandable way possible >_<)

That said... anybody remember when they considered localizing Popful Mail as a Sonic game?
    http://info.sonicretro.org/Sister_Sonic

*sigh* The whole point is that THERE WERE NO REFERENCES TO JAPANESE POLITICS in the original! They bunches of text and just re-wrote it any way they pleased. It was NOT translated. Same goes for the "jokes".

And yes, the gameplay was changed. Not only the idiotic save system, but stupid changes to balance, encount rate among other things. You do not seem to get the fact that I dearly love the MCD LUNAR games, and Game Arts pre-PS2. This is why I take offence to whst was done to those games and I will express that if I feel like it.
    Please don't sigh at me and I think you're making a big deal out of nothing . Show me the original Japnese text and then the translated text and I'm willing to be it has little or no effect on the game story or progression and its just meaningless village talk . Paying for a Save file is a fair issues, but it doesn't kill or alter the gameplay and It was taken out of the USA PS version anyway .
    About Popful mail well have a look at the cover and see it popfulmail used in the Japanese version and anyone that loves RPG's will all know the issses with names being used in the translation version and how they need to be changed for the Western version for silly issues over IP rights in Japan, none of which make any sense . The game plays exaclty the same just a little hader, but still a easy game and the voice acting was great as was the translation

There's nobody who's a bigger Lunar and GameArts fan than me and I'll disagree with you over the Battle rate , WD tend to cut them backnot increase them and did just that with Vay and Albert Odyssey and compare the amazing Job WD did with Lunar to what SONY did with Grandia and its horrible English port and laughable english dub, never mind the vast difference with the Artwork and packaging .
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

I didn't think they did a lot of translation with Popful Mail at all. I think it is by far their worst Americanisation (can't call that an "English version") of them all. The stupid name changes were bad enough "I'm Mail, Poful Mail!", ugh. The horrible game changes they made were by far more offensive than their "translation", though. They butchered the game play so badly. Changing the price of the invincibility gem from 100 gold to 1500 gold being one of the worst. I am just glad I had the Jp version completed 3 times before I managed to buy the US version backbin 1996. I managed to finish it, but damn was it painful...
    I agree the difficulty changes in Popful Mail made it a frustrating game, but I still enjoyed it and am thankful WD made the translation. I'm not a big fan of pop-cultural references but I can live with them. Upping the difficulty was common practice back then because in the west you can rent games. If people beat the games during a rent, they wouldn't buy it, which hurt sales. Streets of Rage 3 was another bad example of upping the difficulty too much, but I think Contra: Hard Corps had it done well - the Japanese version is too easy.

Why the fuck am I getting so much shit[...]?
    Wut?
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    but I think Contra: Hard Corps had it done well - the Japanese version is too easy.
    To be fair, Japanese Hard Corps is the exception to the rule, Contra historically had one-hit wonders for characters =P

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

So, back on topic: who's going to be the first to fan-translate one of these games? To my surprise, it looks like someone started working on Daihoushinden (大封神伝), which seems to be an almost-completely forgotten Mega CD game, but didn't get much of anywhere:

https://segaxtreme.net/threads/worki...slation.12151/

Or how about some Death Bringer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xGtr27gx4E

Or A-Rank Thunder Tanjouhen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVybPyjPrhI

Hard to tell whether some of these would actually be fun to play, mind, but we can't really know that until we can actually play 'em.

EDIT: Heh, I just noticed that Aisle Lord's battle music totally rips off Stravinsky's Firebird, specifically the "Infernal Dance of King Kastchei":

https://youtu.be/P4aG383ALTI?t=15m28s

https://youtu.be/ZfeZXeaFaAA?t=11s

EDIT #2: The guy who was looking into Daihoushinden has actually been playing some Mega CD games. (Is that allowed?)

http://z11.invisionfree.com/GoodDealGames/ar/t1135.htm
    Last edited by goldenband; 12-18-2016 at 01:29 PM.

Thread Information