Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any Interest in Doing Sega CD Translations?

Road Rasher

Daihoushinden is a great game with some really nice graphics. I was really enjoying it a few months back after finally getting around to playing it. After about 6 hours and finally grinding to a level where fights were bearable (and also finally getting a party of 3!), the damn thing crashed on me out of the blue and wiped my saves from the system. I was not impressed. Seems like some hacking would need to done along with a translation to fix some fatal bugs. It was a very late game, perhaps it was slightly unfinished.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

^Oh, man, I'm sorry to hear that. What hardware configuration were you playing on? I wonder what kind of bug would wipe your saves in addition to crashing.

It's nice to hear that it's a fun and worthy game. Do you speak Japanese? I can't find any footage of it on YouTube and I'm not sure how much of a language barrier there really is.

EDIT: I just checked it out a little bit -- seems like an attractive game, at least. I wandered around the starting town, played hide-and-seek with a couple of kids, retrieved them, and then still got told that I couldn't leave town:

村長さんにこの村から
    人を出してはいけないと
    言われておいます
    理由は村長さんに
    間いてください

Basically, "The village chief says no one can leave". I tried nosing around the raw ISO for that text but couldn't find anything in Shift-JIS or EUC-JP, though I noticed the string "txt" shows up a lot.
    Last edited by goldenband; 12-20-2016 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    I wonder what kind of bug would wipe your saves in addition to crashing.
    The kind that overwrites memory - the game will crash because it'll try to run garbage, and saves will be wiped because the save memory is not locked out (i.e. it can be written at any moment).

Trying the S3K megaglitch in Sonic Jam will do the same on the Saturn, except you really need to go out of your way to pull off that one =P

[QUOTE=SegaSonic91;768585]Daihoushinden is a great game with some really nice graphics. /QUOTE]

You really think the Gfx are good . I got the game and was kind of letdown with the gfx and sound for such a late Mega CD game was hoping for full use of the system and in the end it looked like a 2nd gen Mega Drive RPG . Would love to see a translation though
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    ^Oh, man, I'm sorry to hear that. What hardware configuration were you playing on? I wonder what kind of bug would wipe your saves in addition to crashing.

It's nice to hear that it's a fun and worthy game. Do you speak Japanese? I can't find any footage of it on YouTube and I'm not sure how much of a language barrier there really is.

EDIT: I just checked it out a little bit -- seems like an attractive game, at least. I wandered around the starting town, played hide-and-seek with a couple of kids, retrieved them, and then still got told that I couldn't leave town:

村長さんにこの村から
    人を出してはいけないと
    言われておいます
    理由は村長さんに
    間いてください

Basically, "The village chief says no one can leave". I tried nosing around the raw ISO for that text but couldn't find anything in Shift-JIS or EUC-JP, though I noticed the string "txt" shows up a lot.
    I do speak Japanese. The game was tricky to get started. I still cannot remember what it was I needed to do to get out of the village. It was something silly, I think. Some of the text was a little tricky with loads of kanji, but is fine for the most part. Much like that very easy to read section you posted about the chief declaring that no one can leave the village. I kind of remember it being one of those standard RPG starters like Dragon Quest VI. "Go to this village to deliver/retrive such-and-such item". There was an fmv triggered, I remember that. Once I made it out of the village, it was very easy to know what to do from there.

My hardware is an all Jp MD/MCD/32X affair. I did wonder at the time if the region free BIOS had something to do with the crash and wiping of save data, but I was not sure. I do think the fame is buggy though, sadly.

Team Andromeda - I do think it is a nice looking game. It looks kind of similar to "Travellers" on the Super CD-ROM which is also published by Victor. Travellers had more effort, of course. But compared to the likes of Fhey Area, it looks great. It is no 3X3 EYES or Surging Aura (damn it that game should have been on cd), but it is still nice.

I do not remember the name of the dev team at the moment, but I have a feeling it was the Keio Yugekitai team. It certainly uses the same nasty FMV engine! A shame too, as the animation in the fmvs is really quite nice. Would have been a million times better for both games if they had used MD based animation like Game Arts' amazing Urusei Yatsura (LOVE THAT GAME!) and Eternal Blue engine. Or Popful Mail.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    I don't know how the Japanese version of Popful Mail is so I won't comment on that... but oh gosh the voice acting. Mail was sorta bearable but everybody else? What the heck is up with the massive overacting? x_X The only good thing is that the recording is pretty crystal clear (I suck horribly at spoken English so trust me this one is huge - seems to be a thing with 4th gen CD games in general, in later games accents come in full force in the most non-understandable way possible >_<)

That said... anybody remember when they considered localizing Popful Mail as a Sonic game?
    http://info.sonicretro.org/Sister_Sonic
    So THAT'S what Sister Sonic was! I am so hlad we got proper Popful Mail! I have a HK game mag from Decembwr 94 or Jan 95 that still listed that game in the MEGA-CD release list. It is so depressing looking at that list and seeing all those games that were never released. Ys IV MCD being the biggest depresent of all. Wardner no Mori for the Super CD-ROM would have been nice, too! I love the arcade game and the MD version is awesome, but a SCD version could have been even closer to the arcade version. Shame it was not on the MCD.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Brandish and Ys IV were both in the pipeline for the MegaCD but something (who knows what) happened to the Sega-Falcom partnership so we never got anymore games from them. Quite a shame too.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Road Rasher

It is a damn shame the SEGA-FALCOM team did not start sooner so that they were actually released. MEGA-CD Mask of the Sun could have been the best version ever made. Modern VITA remake not withstanding I am still annoyed that Dragon Slayer 1&2 were cart and not CD as they should have been. MCD versions could have been the best versions ever made, easily surpassing Hudson's already excellent SCD versions.

I do wish the remaining SEGA-FALCOM games had been moved to the Saturn. They could have been amazing. Popful Mail really showed how good a MCD game could be if time, love and effort was put into it. It was one of the few games that could not have been on cart. That is one of the things the system lacked, especially from SEGA themselves.

Thread Information