Quantcast

Thread: Found a SANTA "Mega S-02" S-Video Adapter for Sega Genesis/Mega Drive 2 on ebay

Default Found a SANTA "Mega S-02" S-Video Adapter for Sega Genesis/Mega Drive 2 on ebay

I'm not the one selling this, I just happened to stumble across it on ebay. I've never seen it before tbh, it's pretty cool that there was officially an S-Video adapter released for the Mega Drive 2 in Japan. Wish these were more common so that a Genesis and even a 32X didn't need to be modded for S-Video (and I'm not speaking to you RGB fanatics, I know you could care less about S-Video).

Here is the listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112165687044...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

The king of prodicts like this in Japan released one for model 1 and 2 Mega Drives. It's what I used for years to get s-video from 32X, until I got a transcoder and TV with component.

http://www.segagagadomain.com/hardware-mega/xmd-3.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hero of Algol

This topic has nothing to do with this section of the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    This topic has nothing to do with this section of the forum.
    I really didn't know which section to put this in, if it has to be moved I have no problem with that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    The king of prodicts like this in Japan released one for model 1 and 2 Mega Drives. It's what I used for years to get s-video from 32X, until I got a transcoder and TV with component.

http://www.segagagadomain.com/hardware-mega/xmd-3.htm
    Awesome!

ha for the price of that converter on Ebay , one can buy a scart to HDMI converter box, a scart/RGB Sega Genesis cable and still have spare change

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Segaedge View Post
    ha for the price of that converter on Ebay , one can buy a scart to HDMI converter box, a scart/RGB Sega Genesis cable and still have spare change
    How does the hdmi cable connect to the s-video port on your crt and how does the crt handle a signal converted to digital?
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Well I'm not saying to buy one of those of course, I just thought it was a neat find. I sure as hell am not buying it when S-Video modding a Genesis is fairly easy to do anyway. But since you mentioned it, those $50 upscaling RGB converter boxes are crap. It's been proven that out of box they're actually only upscaling composite video to 720p/1080p HDMI from SCART cables that use composite sync, not to mention the horrid input lag they produce.

There is a part 2 to that video explaining how to properly get RGB video output to HDMI from those crappy converter boxes, but the fact that those things use composite from SCART cables out the box just proves they're absolute crap. I tried one of them a few years back and right away I could notice the input lag was as bad or even worse than 1080p upscaling emulators and that the video wasn't even all the impressive (and this was before I saw that youtube video).

Road Rasher

they're wired according to scart standard. If you don't get RGB that means your cable isn't wired correctly, as mentionned on part 2.
    Also, while it adds between 2 and 4 frame of delay, it's not horrible by itself. The more common problem is HDMI on most tvs (especially low end ones like in vid) is plagued by forced processing that adds way more delay. For the price, it can't really be beat, it does it's job, if you know what the job is.

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
    those $50 upscaling RGB converter boxes are crap. It's been proven that out of box they're actually only upscaling composite video to 720p/1080p HDMI from SCART cables that use composite sync, not to mention the horrid input lag they produce.
    You clearly haven't done the research. I have one right now in front of me and is using RGB and raw sync I'd say it is a plus that it can also use composite video for sync.

That expensive S-video converter is not going to magically scale anything by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryoandr View Post
    For the price, it can't really be beat, it does it's job, if you know what the job is.
    I couldn't have said it better

Quote Originally Posted by Ryoandr View Post
    Also, while it adds between 2 and 4 frame of delay, it's not horrible by itself. The more common problem is HDMI on most tvs (especially low end ones like in vid) is plagued by forced processing that adds way more delay. For the price, it can't really be beat, it does it's job, if you know what the job is.
    The lag bothered me compared to straight up S-Video to my HDTV (no upscaling boxes). I remember now that I thought to myself I may as well just use emulation instead of one of those RGB to HDMI converter boxes.

You clearly haven't done the research. I have one right now in front of me and is using RGB and raw sync I'd say it is a plus that it can also use composite video for sync.

That expensive S-video converter is not going to magically scale anything by the way.
    Well I did personally test one out myself and wasn't happy with the result compared to just using S-Video that I added to my Genesis and 32X at the time.

And no duh that the 'S-VHS' box isn't going to magically scale anything. That's not the point. All I'm saying is just that it's a neat find.
    Last edited by roadkill; 06-25-2018 at 07:04 AM.

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
    So what I don't understand is why does the Wii, with emulation, have less lag (at least in my experience) compared to one of those $50 RGB to HDMI boxes?
    I believe what's going on here is that the HDMI converters use a frame buffer for interlaced material. The main problem with these cheap converters is that they don't officially support 240p, so anything in that resolution (nearly everything pre-Dreamcast) is treated as 480i and de-interlaced despite being progressive. In this case, the de-interlacing would likely weave together two successive interlaced frames to create a single progressive one, so it needs a buffer to store those frames and, as a result, is going to delay the display of the completed image by at least a frame (or two?). When you're doing that with 240p content you're also creating artifacts and effectively axing every other frame, which is why some people will tell you to avoid these things like the plague.

That's my basic understanding of it, anyway. The Wii is most likely handling 240p properly and then upscaling it to 480p.

Quote Originally Posted by Assman View Post
    I believe what's going on here is that the HDMI converters use a frame buffer for interlaced material. The main problem with these cheap converters is that they don't officially support 240p, so anything in that resolution (nearly everything pre-Dreamcast) is treated as 480i and de-interlaced despite being progressive. In this case, the de-interlacing would likely weave together two successive interlaced frames to create a single progressive one, so it needs a buffer to store those frames and, as a result, is going to delay the display of the completed image by at least a frame (or two?). When you're doing that with 240p content you're also creating artifacts and effectively axing every other frame, which is why some people will tell you to avoid these things like the plague.

That's my basic understanding of it, anyway. The Wii is most likely handling 240p properly and then upscaling it to 480p.
    Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense.
    Last edited by roadkill; 06-25-2018 at 07:00 AM.

Thread Information