Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acclaim's 32X love

Wildside Expert

Default Acclaim's 32X love

Acclaim was the only manufacturer to produce plastic clamshell cases for 32X games, and the only one (as far as I know) to print color instruction manuals. Meanwhile, everyone else (including Sega) used cardboard cases and black & white manuals (although Acclaim's Mortal Kombat II port was released in a cardboard case with a color manual).

Acclaim was a major third party player in the mid 90's; maybe they really felt that their 32X products needed to be higher quality than the competition.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

It's possible they wanted to make their games stand out on the shelves more. In a store with rows of cardboard boxes, the clamshell will catch you eye and maybe convince you it's a higher quality product.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Uhm what color manuals are you talking about? All of my Acclaim games have b&w manuals. Now if you're talking about using glossy covers on the 32X and not those xerox manuals I will give you that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

Acclaim wanted to make the packaging look good to hide the fact it the games were meh upgrades of existing Genesis ports. But hey, having a better version NBA Jam TE is a reason to keep my 32x hooked up.

Wildside Expert

Yeah, that's what I meant. Acclaim's 32X manuals are the same quality as most manuals for the Genesis.

Wildside Expert

Looking through my collection. Front cover in color really stands out. Noticed EA Toughman Contest had used a front cover in color. Brutal also. Appreciate Acclaim using plastic vs cardboard.

Little differences like that sometime get overlooked. Good observation.

Super Sexy Sega Master of Shinobi cowboyscowboys's Avatar

They did the same for their late Genesis release games as well. Sticking with clamshells and glossy covers for their manuals. So it wasn't like they were showing the 32x any special attention.
    Beat Em Up- Streets of Rage 2
    Platformer- Sonic 3 and Knuckles
    Run and Gun- Gunstar Heroes
    Adventure- Story of Thor
    Action- Shinobi 3

For great justice! Outrunner Tor Landeel's Avatar

I would say anything about Acclaim expect there was love to the 32X, considering the lazy ports.
    Mortal Kombat irritates me everytime I play it.
    ***** トル・ランディール ******
    Cadash Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3905/
    Out Run Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3940/

Maybe they just had leftover stock of Genesis boxes they wanted to get rid of...
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Sports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    Maybe they just had leftover stock of Genesis boxes they wanted to get rid of...
    They are not the same, they were specifically made for the 32X.

Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Tower of Power's Avatar

Well, Akklaim manufactured their own games, unlike most third parties, no? They probably just didn't get the memo that Sega was going with cardboard and stuck with what they knew. Probably not any benevolence on their part.

Hero of Algol

I have my own take on this subject.

If the 32X had succeeded, it would have been good for Acclaim.

They had invested heavily on 2D games with digitized/pre-rendered sprites instead of 3D like other companies were doing around 94/95.
    Pretty much all their money was on 2D games with huge digitized sprites and pre-rendered backgrounds.
    On top of that, those games also relied on extensive use of voice samples for aural wow factor.

None of that was well-suited for either the Genesis or the SNES; due to several reasons.

On the Genesis the graphical issue was both the 9-bit master palette (making original art look awful after automatic conversion or requiring a laborious conversion process to look "OK") and the reduced number of the sub-palettes (digitized backgrounds with only 16 colors tend to look like vomit with poor shading). Voice samples tended to sound scratchy and distorted, with the system having no hardware support for audio compression on top of that.

On the SNES the visual issue was that pre-rendered-based animation tends to consume a lot more VRAM and the system had a hard limit to the amount of RAM it could use for sprites.
    Voice samples would usually sound better than on the Genesis, but they had a hard limit in terms of audio RAM (being shared with music data as well) and to reload them quickly (for narration purposes) wasn't an easy task.

By 1994/1995 both systems had tiny VRAM and very limited number of on screen sprites compared to what Acclaim was pushing with their arcade games.
    Acclaim games would look pale and undersized on the Genesis. Undersized and sluggish on the SNES.
    They would sound noisy and garbled on the Genesis, muffled and quieter on the SNES.

Such games also weren't well-suited for CD-based systems due to the huge amount of graphical and audio data they required for each stage or round.

All Acclaim could wish for was a cartridge-based 32-bit home system with good sound and graphical capabilities.
    The 32X was far from being state-of-art in any of that but, at least on paper, it could perform much better than both SNES and Genesis. And it wouldn't have the loading times of the CD-based systems.
    Last edited by Barone; 05-21-2017 at 02:40 PM.

OPN2 in DNA Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Peeteris's Avatar

Thanks for the info Barone, didn't know that.
    Would rep if forum allowed me to do that again.

Eh, if only Sega would have made better decisions back then

That's a very interesting perspective and well thought out analysis, Barone! A lot of companies had a hard time adjusting to the staff-heavy 3D games of the era (Technosoft for example), and looking at it this may be how Acclaim tried to tackle it.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Hero of Algol

Big US publishers such as EA and Acclaim probably didn't want to lose the kind of control the cartridge market provided to them.
    Only a handful of companies could manufacture the cartridges and they would toy with the hard limits of the production runs according to their best interests. They had a lot more control of what was on the shelves that way. Most developers were just little puppets in the hands of publishers such as Acclaim.

With CDs things changed quite a bit for companies like that. They couldn't run the market anymore just by creating batches of playable photocopies of blockbuster licenses.

Thread Information