Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sega Arcade Ultimate Portable Player

Bring on the noise! WCPO Agent Bones Justice's Avatar

Default Sega Arcade Ultimate Portable Player

I saw this advertised at Toys R Us for $30. Is it any good?
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Bones: "My will...will not die."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-iQfP3mFs

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Made by atgames

I like mine a lot. The sound quality is awful and there's a few games that don't seem to like it (like Ms Pacman) but I've honestly found mine to have been well worth it so far.

Ms Pac-Man doesn't like 6 button controllers, period.

But yeah there are quite a bunch of games that don't like the AtGames stuff. Even Project MD has trouble with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    I like mine a lot. The sound quality is awful and there's a few games that don't seem to like it (like Ms Pacman) but I've honestly found mine to have been well worth it so far.
    The Russian Romhacker segaman, made a menuhack of the AtGames Gopher (Tectoy's MD Play) that fix the YM2612 FM sound to the correct pitch and force the NTSC output.
    Unfortunately, PSG still sounds off. Anyway its a big improvement even more for games that the music are 100% FM
    I made a video of Bloodlines (Music 100% FM) and Midnight Resistance (FM+PSG)

Here's the segaman's video that show how to fix:
    Last edited by LinkueiBR; 11-27-2016 at 12:12 PM.
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow and the Flame Remastered Edition v1.5

Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bones Justice View Post
    I saw this advertised at Toys R Us for $30. Is it any good?
    This?

I found mine in the discount bin over here at one of the stores. I wouldn't have bothered otherwise.

Yes, the sound out of this thing is pretty bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again! As the Jews re-established their Israel, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans!

(EDIT: argh ninja'd, this was about the menu hack)

...yep, they're normal ROMs alright. So what is going on that can be fixed directly from within the emulated program? o_O

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    (EDIT: argh ninja'd, this was about the menu hack)

...yep, they're normal ROMs alright. So what is going on that can be fixed directly from within the emulated program? o_O
    Russians
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!

Well, the implication here is that this would be something the emulator is already capable of doing and it's just badly set up... would need to check what the ROM is doing I suppose ._.'

Wildside Expert

I've always liked this console. The stock sound is terrible, but it has a really nice screen, especially compared to the Nomad, and the SD card support means you can play 99% of the Genesis library.

I just tried the sound mod and it seems pretty good. I sampled Thunder Force III, Castle of Illusion and MUSHA, and they are much closer to how they should sound. It's still nowhere near how an actual Genesis (or a good emulator) sounds, but it's an improvement. Sonic 1 still sounds awful though.
    Last edited by redsox2013; 11-27-2016 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox2013 View Post
    I've always liked this console. The stock sound is terrible, but it has a really nice screen, especially compared to the Nomad, and the SD card support means you can play 99% of the Genesis library.

I just tried the sound mod and it seems pretty good. I sampled Thunder Force III, Castle of Illusion and MUSHA, and they are much closer to how they should sound. It's still nowhere near how an actual Genesis (or a good emulator) sounds, but it's an improvement. Sonic 1 still sounds awful though.
    I hate 2 things in this portable:

1 The sound out of tune
    2 LCD screen stretched to 320x240

Plugged on TV, the resolution is 320x224 fixed that make the majority of the games looks great just like the Genesis. Unfortunately 256x224 games looks stretched to 320x224.
    Very impressive that in no one moment theres drop of FPS or slow down. Really great performance!
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!

The Shadow knows Road Rasher Allard's Avatar

It just boggles my tiny worm-ridden brain that all this time the sound on these things could be fixed software-wise. Like, I would get it if it could only be fixed via hardware modding, then it's perfectly understandable why AtGames churned them all out with faulty sound for years. I thought they were just being cheap, but it turns out they were just being super lazy. Like, if the sound in these things didn't suck like a black hole-powered vacuum cleaner, they COULD be perfectly serviceable.

Not even that. If it was just shitty emulation then OK, that stuff is hard to get right. But changing an internal setting is enough apparently. That definitely doesn't explain how this happened at all and definitely reeks of carelessness =/

It would be nice to disassemble it to see what parts the program writes to that affect this, for all we know PSG can be fixed too.

WCPO Agent

Are you really talking about the portable megadrive clone ? Because I can't find it in France for less than 120 euros (more or less 120$).

While at the same time the portable master system is around 35$/.

Also, is it possible to put an SD card inside ? (There seems to be different models)

Quote Originally Posted by tryphon View Post
    Are you really talking about the portable megadrive clone ? Because I can't find it in France for less than 120 euros (more or less 120$).

While at the same time the portable master system is around 35$/.

Also, is it possible to put an SD card inside ? (There seems to be different models)
    There's two main versions, a three button version without SD slot, and a six button version with SD slot. On ebay its possible to find the six button for about 40-50 Euro, but there does seem to be a few idiots trying to get 150 Euro or more. I think I paid about 45 for mine.

Thread Information