Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sega Arcade Ultimate Portable Player

WCPO Agent

Thanks ! I have seen NES mini at more than 150 these last weeks on eBay so nothing surprises me any more

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

There are two versions, one with infrared receiver and one without. This might explain the price difference, I assume.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

WCPO Agent

I dunno. But I didn't find anything less than 100 on eBay (ship included).

Quote Originally Posted by tryphon View Post
    I dunno. But I didn't find anything less than 100 on eBay (ship included).
    Sorry, I wasn't including shipping when I said 50 Euro. I just had a quick look, found a few for about 70 including shipping if buying a genuine one. The knock offs seem to be about 40 with shipping. I have no idea what the knock offs are like.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    Sorry, I wasn't including shipping when I said 50 Euro. I just had a quick look, found a few for about 70 including shipping if buying a genuine one. The knock offs seem to be about 40 with shipping. I have no idea what the knock offs are like.
    The knockoffs make baby Jesus cry. They are totally unplayable; Retro-Bit Generations levels of complete rubbish. If it plays MP3s or has 100+ real Gen/MD games included then it's a knockoff.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

This is the only good portable Genesis clone I've ever found. It's the same one I reviewed for Sega-16, complete with a TecToy GOAC which means it's a real Genesis and will play any standard cartridge game. It's also pleasantly affordable thanks to Aliexpress.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Clas...3-92d2f82c84ff

You can also get the RetroGen / Sega Gopher if really really want it...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...3-92d2f82c84ff

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post

That is exactly what I was referring to when I mentioned the knock offs beings sold on ebay. Maybe they aren't knock offs, but the price difference over the others out there has me suspicious.

I have an orange Gopher and I've found it to have been excellent value.

A knock-off of a knock-off?

I admit, it's been tempting to try the RetroGen / Sega Gopher unit, but they all have that FireCore (or sometimes FireCord heh) menu, which means it's a crummy emulator system. The PocketGame portable clone I posted above IS a real Genesis, it has a TCT-6703 ASIC and a cartridge slot. It will even play Pier Solar. It's pretty much like having a portable Genesis 3, which was also a fantastic clone.

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

This is the only good portable Genesis clone I've ever found. It's the same one I reviewed for Sega-16, complete with a TecToy GOAC which means it's a real Genesis and will play any standard cartridge game. It's also pleasantly affordable thanks to Aliexpress.

Cool, I need to check that out. Is it a real d-pad or separate buttons though? Lots of these cheapo Chinese handhelds like doing the separate buttons thing.

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

Oh wow, finally a place that sells these at reasonable price. I like the Nomad but it's always nice to have a backup megadrive handheld that can play your original carts.
    I don't know if there the same but this was the only listing on eBay that sells something similar. I just wonder why the hell its $150?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pocket-MD-Ha...9ErsI3qeij4D6w
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Obviously View Post
    Cool, I need to check that out. Is it a real d-pad or separate buttons though? Lots of these cheapo Chinese handhelds like doing the separate buttons thing.
    It's separate buttons, left/up and down/right actually, but it's perfectly usable if you take apart the system and cut the buttons into 4 pieces, be sure to sand the cut edges a bit so they don't touch. Even a modestly sized thumb can comfortably touch all 4 D-pad buttons and pivot well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderblaze16 View Post
    Oh wow, finally a place that sells these at reasonable price. I like the Nomad but it's always nice to have a backup megadrive handheld that can play your original carts.
    I don't know if there the same but this was the only listing on eBay that sells something similar. I just wonder why the hell its $150?
    Probably because it's Hit-Japan that listed that system. That is definitely a rebranded version of the same thing on Aliexpress, might not have any built-in games. If you have a credit card, I highly recommend you buy from Aliexpress. In fact, during the 11.11 sale, I got one of those Pocket MD consoles for about $35 shipped.

I have it here and it's just as good as the pink one I found previously, best part is it has more built-in games. Good stuff too, like MUSHA Aleste, Moonwalker, Castle of Illusion, Sunset Riders, Ghostbusters and a bunch more. The game list on the item page is very accurate. It does play at 60hz, but the PSG is still distorted and the D-pad buttons are joined as left/up and down/right. Although it does need a bit of fixing, these are very small issues that are easily handled and don't detract from the great quality of that handheld. Having used both a Nomad and a Pocket MD / Hamy HG-806 / PocketGame system, I'd definitely pick the clone first.

Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar

If you have a credit card, I highly recommend you buy from Aliexpress.
    You don't necessarily need a CC to do your purchases at AliExpress. They're not allowed to advertize it but if you send a message to the seller you're going to be buying from, more often than not they'll accept payment via PayPal.
    Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again! As the Jews re-established their Israel, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans!

Really? Man that'd be way more convenient. Thanks!

Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar

Really? Man that'd be way more convenient. Thanks!
    In the order message or before ordering you can message the seller to get their PayPal address. AliExpress wants all their stores to use Alipay, so sellers have to offer PayPal in secret.

Edit: So just as an example:

I'm about to purchase one of those MVS multicarts. I sent over a message just now to the seller regarding PayPal payment.

A few minutes later received the reply,

Last edited by Thierry Henry; 12-03-2016 at 03:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again! As the Jews re-established their Israel, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans!

A knock-off of a knock-off?

I admit, it's been tempting to try the RetroGen / Sega Gopher unit, but they all have that FireCore (or sometimes FireCord heh) menu, which means it's a crummy emulator system. The PocketGame portable clone I posted above IS a real Genesis, it has a TCT-6703 ASIC and a cartridge slot. It will even play Pier Solar. It's pretty much like having a portable Genesis 3, which was also a fantastic clone.
    I have a "firecord" that i buy from aliexpress
    IT SUCKS!
    Is not a GOAC like Firecore Gopher/MD PLAY it runs with a lot of frameskip
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow and the Flame Remastered Edition v1.5

Thread Information