Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sega Arcade Ultimate Portable Player

...OK, who thought it'd be a good idea to join up+left and down+right? Either keep all separate or join them all, jeez. Surely one of those two is cheaper?

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Firecore isn't a GOAC but an emulator.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LinkueiBR View Post
    I have a "firecord" that i buy from aliexpress
    IT SUCKS!
    Is not a GOAC like Firecore Gopher/MD PLAY it runs with a lot of frameskip
    Was it one of those SD card Genesis portables? You'd be far better off with the Pocket MD / PocketGame clone, the one with 6 buttons and a cartridge slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    ...OK, who thought it'd be a good idea to join up+left and down+right? Either keep all separate or join them all, jeez. Surely one of those two is cheaper?
    I don't know why, but it's very easy to fix. The console is only held together with phillips screws, 6 outside and 3 inside. Lift the motherboard out a bit, get the D-pad buttons out, use a razor to cut them both in half and shave the cut edges so they don't touch. Remember that the D-pad is angled, it only fits properly one way. The ONLY other flaw with the PocketGame / Pocket MD is the PSG is too loud. I will investigate mine and post a picture showing which resistor to change when I have time. I did it with the previous board revision of this clone, so the new one should be the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by retrospiel View Post
    Well, the Pocket MD / PocketGame I linked to earlier has an honest to goodness true GOAC inside, a TCT-6803.

That alone makes this a million times better than any AtGames clone. Any of you wanting a portable Genesis, you'd be hard pressed to find one better than this one.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Clas...4-4e8e4546a469

The Shadow knows Road Rasher Allard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by retrospiel View Post
    Accoding to Segaman, it is a GOAC.

No, historically "GOAC" has always meant a single chip Genesis clone that integrates the original CPUs, video and sound chips, nothing strange about that back when low cost ARM CPUs were completely incapable of playable software emulation. Such a "clone" using software emulation is not a GOAC in any sense of the original definition.

Here ya go, my PSG fix for the updated TCT-6803 version of the Pocket MD / PocketGame / HG-806 portable Geniclone.

The 68k - 100k ohm specification is for personal tastes, make the PSG however loud or quiet you want. The original 10k ohm resistor makes the PSG really overblown, drowning out the FM. Ace recommends 68k ohm, based on the 33k ohm FM resistors, but I think that is still too weak. I personally went with 100k ohm, it brings the PSG down to a pleasant level to my ears, but preferences are preferences I suppose.

I'm expecting you all to go buy this clone and enjoy it thoroughly.

Note again: The guide mentions through-hole resistors, but only the 1/8w kind would fit here, as pictured. It still sounds fine to me.
    Last edited by Guntz; 12-07-2016 at 02:44 AM.

Outrunner

I noticed that both of this year's versions of the AT Games Sega consoles include Phantasy Star 2 and 3. That, along with several screenshots of the 3 Mortal Kombat games that are clearly not the Genesis versions, and a full page multi-format Acclaim ad in place of MK2's box art. Nice.

How do either of these systems handle the saving for the Phantasy Star games? The previous versions did not support any type of battery saves and sometimes even wiped save files from real carts.

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Azathoth View Post
    I noticed that both of this year's versions of the AT Games Sega consoles include Phantasy Star 2 and 3. That, along with several screenshots of the 3 Mortal Kombat games that are clearly not the Genesis versions, and a full page multi-format Acclaim ad in place of MK2's box art. Nice.

How do either of these systems handle the saving for the Phantasy Star games? The previous versions did not support any type of battery saves and sometimes even wiped save files from real carts.
    Plus, on this year's model they removed Streets of Rage 1-3 to add "more RPG's" (as it says on the box). Also, there are only 39 Genesis games compared to 40 in previous years. Not a good trade off as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure they could have kept at least one SOR game.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    No, historically "GOAC" has always meant a single chip Genesis clone that integrates the original CPUs, video and sound chips, nothing strange about that back when low cost ARM CPUs were completely incapable of playable software emulation. Such a "clone" using software emulation is not a GOAC in any sense of the original definition.
    Supposedly the bit about Firecore being ARM is wrong. Some research done by others suggest it's based on DMC's RedKid or RedKid 2 platform which is essentially a GOAC with some enhancements as opposed to DMC's Titan platform (ARM SoC + emulators, used for some of the 8-bit stuff). And indeed, the hacked menu that Segaman has distributed is essentially a Genesis ROM (accesses some weird addresses in addition to the standard ones, but otherwise is normal looking) and mentions DMC Redkid in the header. There's an Atari Age thread discussing this. Seems like there has been some technical discussion of the Redkid platform in the Russian hacking community, but Google Translate wasn't able to do a good enough job with it to be useful.

Ok, I don't really know much about AtGames hardware. I know much more about traditional GOAC clones, nearly all are powered by TecToy single chips (hence TCT-####).

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Kanon's Avatar

This is the only good portable Genesis clone I've ever found. It's the same one I reviewed for Sega-16, complete with a TecToy GOAC which means it's a real Genesis and will play any standard cartridge game. It's also pleasantly affordable thanks to Aliexpress.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Clas...3-92d2f82c84ff
    Whoa, this is awesome. I came here looking for an alternative to the ATGames portable, and I find this cartridge based beauty. Thanks for the tip, going to the wish list

Bring on the noise! WCPO Agent Bones Justice's Avatar

Here ya go, my PSG fix for the updated TCT-6803 version of the Pocket MD / PocketGame / HG-806 portable Geniclone.
    Excuse my ignorance but what does this do? And thanks for the link!
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Bones: "My will...will not die."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-iQfP3mFs

Out of the box, the PSG volume (aka SMS sound) is way too loud and it drowns out the FM (aka Genesis sound). Tons of Genesis games use PSG for added depth. Sonic games use PSG for the jump sound, for example. Adding the PSG fix will bring the PSG volume back down, roughly in balance with the FM. You can increase or decrease the value of the resistor to your tastes.

Thread Information