Quantcast

Thread: Best Sega Master System Controller to own

Default Best Sega Master System Controller to own

Hello everybody. I decided to remove my biggest complaint about the Sega Master System, the crummy standard controller. I am wanting a playable SMS controller that doesn't have compatibly issues like using the Genesis controller on games like Montazuma's Revenge and Penguin Land. Any suggestions?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Prince Talmit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by asmikace View Post
    I am wanting a playable SMS controller that doesn't have compatibly issues like using the Genesis controller on games like Montazuma's Revenge and Penguin Land. Any suggestions?
    There are a dozen or so options I know of for the Master System. None are common or easy to find, and prices can be all over the place.
    Sega Retro has a page of some third party controllers, there had been another website with a much larger list and pictures I can't seem to find right now.

Hori SG Commander (JPN): The best standard pad I know of, good luck finding one, and prices aren't what they used to be!
    Master System Power Pad (Australia?): This is a solid and reliable control pad similar to the standard NES design.
    XE-1 ST (JPN): form the line of Micomsoft joysticks, some people love these, I like the stick, but the buttons don't feel right to me, a quality product none-the-less.
    ASCii Stick Alpha (JPN): this is basically the same joystick as the NES Advantage
    Competition Pro Control Pad (UK, EU): This is probably the best alongside the Hori SG Commander. Here's an eBay listing for the box only
    Samsung Control Pad (Korea): junky feeling and uncomfortable.
    Manix Twins (Competition Pro brand) (France, EU?): this is a bizarre two piece controller (hold a separate section in each hand), I've not used it yet but it seems ok build wise. Also you can open it up and adjust metal weights inside to change the feel and balance.
    Epyx 500xj High Performance Joystick (US and UK): this is a really good performing stick, but the ergonomics might be odd for many people.
    Beeshu Ultimate Superstick (US): same as the NES version, but very hard to come by. Buttons are good but my stick is sluggish and stiff.
    Freedom Stick (US and UK?): wireless but doesn't perform very well.

In summary: the best Master System joypad controllers I know of are the SG Commander, the Competition Pro Control Pad, or the Master System Power Pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Talmit View Post
    There are a dozen or so options I know of for the Master System. None are common or easy to find, and prices can be all over the place.
    Sega Retro has a page of some third party controllers, there had been another website with a much larger list and pictures I can't seem to find right now.

Hori SG Commander (JPN): The best standard pad I know of, good luck finding one, and prices aren't what they used to be!
    Master System Power Pad (Australia?): This is a solid and reliable control pad similar to the standard NES design.
    XE-1 ST (JPN): form the line of Micomsoft joysticks, some people love these, I like the stick, but the buttons don't feel right to me, a quality product none-the-less.
    ASCii Stick Alpha (JPN): this is basically the same joystick as the NES Advantage
    Competition Pro Control Pad (UK, EU): This is probably the best alongside the Hori SG Commander. Here's an eBay listing for the box only
    Samsung Control Pad (Korea): junky feeling and uncomfortable.
    Manix Twins (Competition Pro brand) (France, EU?): this is a bizarre two piece controller (hold a separate section in each hand), I've not used it yet but it seems ok build wise. Also you can open it up and adjust metal weights inside to change the feel and balance.
    Epyx 500xj High Performance Joystick (US and UK): this is a really good performing stick, but the ergonomics might be odd for many people.
    Beeshu Ultimate Superstick (US): same as the NES version, but very hard to come by. Buttons are good but my stick is sluggish and stiff.
    Freedom Stick (US and UK?): wireless but doesn't perform very well.

In summary: the best Master System joypad controllers I know of are the SG Commander, the Competition Pro Control Pad, or the Master System Power Pad.
    Looks like i can get that Competition Pro Pad from the UK for under $20. Is the quality like a NES controller? Just trying to get an idea of the feel of the controller

You can easily mod a MD/Genesis controller to work on all SMS games. The issue is caused by the start button (if memory serves correctly). So if you cut the connection for the start button and put a simple two way switch in it, you can play all the SMS games and still use it properly on your Genesis too. I use an official Sega Arcade power stick, its a quality controller and has plenty of space to stick a switch in.

Social Justice Ninja Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

CGR pushes the Alan9000, haha. man how have i never seen that hori one before? looks cool, so of course it's impossible to find....guess ill stick with a 6 button genny one for now!

Thread Information