Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A look inside the Majesco Sega Gen model 3 + extra enhancements added

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

Genesis A look inside the Majesco Sega Gen model 3 + extra enhancements added

Alright so I figured a couple of you might be interested in what's inside this thing.

It was held by 4 screws to open and 5 screws inside. 2 on the sides of the cartridge slot, 2 on the sides of the controller ports and 1 in the middle, across the ac jack.

The main chip is an CHIP-TCT6035 and it's got a 14.31818 crystal oscillator.

Extra Images:
    http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...pskjhpgwix.jpg
    http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...psjikjpn1a.jpg
    http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...psbo5xvwhg.jpg
    http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...pspopr1qkd.jpg
    http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...psytlslndd.jpg
    http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7tjfawpv.jpg

Alright so for the stuff I did on this, pretty sure it increased it's life span.

-I added 2 LEDS, one drilled on top and in the bottom.
    -Rubber feet added.
    -Re-flowed all soldered spots.
    -Added a heat sink replacement.
    -With my new desoldering gun that actually freaking helps completely desolder spots. I was able to replace the 2 weak, cheap controller ports with 2 official, sturdy controller ports, taken off a dead model 1 MD.

Seriously, the sides of the controller ports broke off when I tried inserting a wireless receiver, lol.

Here's them out for an official pair.

The higher quality ones set in.

The upgrades.

So yeah, this is what it looks like now.

Yeah, to my surprise this can play Virtua Racing and my Everdrive cart.

As for the gameplay itself, it runs full 60fps, decent visuals and the sound is surprisingly not that bad, MUCH better than the Atgames sounds, that's for sure.

Here's a link for more crazy clone MDs
    http://sblive.narod.ru/ZX-Spectrum/Z...nes/Clones.htmhttp://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...psekruvyp9.jpg
    Last edited by Thunderblaze16; 01-05-2017 at 08:57 PM.
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar

TCT6035, that's a pretty good GOAC. My FC3 Plus Version 2 has it and it works really nicely, though I haven't managed to locate any RGB outputs on the chipset. Would be nice to find some, though.

Is that an op-amp on the underside of the secondary PCB? I would presume it's an LM324, but correct me if I'm wrong.
    HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION

Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

Done with Sega-16 (sorta) Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderblaze16 View Post
    Alright so I figured a couple of you might be interested in what's inside this thing, considering it's freaking official.
    That's not an official Genesis 3 BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    TCT6035, that's a pretty good GOAC. My FC3 Plus Version 2 has it and it works really nicely, though I haven't managed to locate any RGB outputs on the chipset. Would be nice to find some, though.

Is that an op-amp on the underside of the secondary PCB? I would presume it's an LM324, but correct me if I'm wrong.
    The little chip below the controller port? I have to aim it at the light just right to bloody see it.
    It's a E961432
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by ApolloBoy View Post
    That's not an official Genesis 3 BTW.
    And here I went on thinking it was lol, still cool it's from Majesco.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

You you made a piece of crap into something worth owning.

Rep+1
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

The Genesis 3 is not a piece of crap, not even the VA2. They are official Sega products, they have single chip GOAC designs which qualifies them as real Genesis systems (if you don't, then only the Japanese MD VA0 is a real Genesis as it has the least consolidation).

Granted, the VA2 has a lot of compatibility removed, but if you just want Genesis, it's hard to beat it for the tiny footprint, excellent video/sound quality and widespread Genesis cartridge compatibility, none of which can be said of any AtGames clone.

If you can find a VA1, they are best when modded for 32X, SMS, VR and Game Genie. I'd love to find one so I can marry it with a 32X.

EDIT: Forgot this is about the Majesco Genesis 3. Yeah, it doesn't look too promising, but TCT-#### GOAC chips are usually very good. I don't get why people crap on single chip clones so much. They are real, they have the original Genesis CPUs and processors integrated into one chip, no software emulation whatsoever. They are just as real as any Genesis with only 2 or 3 ASIC chips (most Model 2 systems, CDX, Nomad, etc).

Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar

You know what? Looking at the circuitry, it's possible there may be S-Video output from the TCT6035. There's a circuit on the motherboard that looks like the typical S-Video to Composite mixing circuit used on several other GOAC designs I've seen. It might be possible to directly pull off Chroma/Luminance from within that mess.

EDIT: What is this "Majesco Genesis 3" thing? This isn't a real Genesis 3, it's a clone!
    HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION

Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    The Genesis 3 is not a piece of crap, not even the VA2. They are official Sega products, they have single chip GOAC designs which qualifies them as real Genesis systems (if you don't, then only the Japanese MD VA0 is a real Genesis as it has the least consolidation).

Granted, the VA2 has a lot of compatibility removed, but if you just want Genesis, it's hard to beat it for the tiny footprint, excellent video/sound quality and widespread Genesis cartridge compatibility, none of which can be said of any AtGames clone.

If you can find a VA1, they are best when modded for 32X, SMS, VR and Game Genie. I'd love to find one so I can marry it with a 32X.

EDIT: Forgot this is about the Majesco Genesis 3. Yeah, it doesn't look too promising, but TCT-#### GOAC chips are usually very good. I don't get why people crap on single chip clones so much. They are real, they have the original Genesis CPUs and processors integrated into one chip, no software emulation whatsoever. They are just as real as any Genesis with only 2 or 3 ASIC chips (most Model 2 systems, CDX, Nomad, etc).
    It overheats and as he showed in his pictures, the controller ports fall apart.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

It looks like something Majesco would make.

I'm confused, weren't all Model 3's made by Majesco?

Angry Liberal Arts Major Hero of Algol Iron Lizard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    I'm confused, weren't all Model 3's made by Majesco?
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    It overheats and as he showed in his pictures, the controller ports fall apart.
    Now, now I never said it overheated. I just don't like seeing regulators without any type of heat sink around them, it's better for them anyways. The controller ports were indeed crap though.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderblaze16 View Post
    Now, now I never said it overheated. I just don't like seeing regulators without any type of heat sink around them, it's better for them anyways. The controller ports were indeed crap though.
    I recently watched a review on YouTube, and the guy talked about how hot the unit got.

PSG out is very loud on that particular unit there. Is the PSG mixed separately, or is there only one audio output from the TCT chip?

Thread Information