Quantcast

Thread: Why no R-Type on Genesis?

Wildside Expert

Default Why no R-Type on Genesis?

I wonder why R-Type never received a port or sequel on Genesis. Master System, SNES, TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine and even Gameboy received R-Type games, but nothing for Genesis. Considering R-Type was a key Master System title, I'd think Sega would want it on Genesis as well. Maybe Sega figured it was outdated by the time Genesis came out, and maybe Nintendo had exclusive rights to the sequels - I wonder. I would have loved to see arcade perfect ports of 1 & 2 on Genesis, with all of the arcade's parallax scrolling that's missing from the Master System & TG16 ports.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

There was already a thread about this this year. I believe that some conclusions were agreed upon, but you'll probably have less of a turn out in this thread, so maybe look for the last one?

I believe that the agreed upon reason was that Irem never bothered to do games for Sega consoles and were busy making games for the competition. Sega licensed R-Type, Vigilante, Time Soldiers, misc(?) for SMS and before the Mega Drive launched, Hudson had already licensed R-Type for the 16-bit generation and might have had exclusivity.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Sega would not release on Mega Drive the games they had already released earlier on the Master System, plain and simple. This happened a lot with System 16 games too =/ (hence why we don't have e.g. Quartet despite it being a perfect fit, and when they did "rerelease" a game that was on Master System it'd be branded a sequel and have different level layouts)

No such thing as a perfect port for the genesis, but a good one for sure. The PCE one is really good though, even if it feels a bit cluttered.

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Sega would not release on Mega Drive the games they had already released earlier on the Master System, plain and simple. This happened a lot with System 16 games too =/ (hence why we don't have e.g. Quartet despite it being a perfect fit, and when they did "rerelease" a game that was on Master System it'd be branded a sequel and have different level layouts)
    A couple of exceptions I can think of (both first & third party) are Out Run & Double Dragon. Still, it's quite reasonable that Sega was only looking forward with the Genesis, and wasn't interested in producing or licensing upgraded versions of existing games.

The Megadrive can't have an arcade "perfect" port, the original arcade pcb runs at 384x256 resolution which is not possible on the Mega.

Quote Originally Posted by chinitosoccer View Post
    The Megadrive can't have an arcade "perfect" port, the original arcade pcb runs at 384x256 resolution which is not possible on the Mega.
    You can have perfect ports with reduced resolution. Like SF Zero 3 on Saturn.

Zero 3 Saturn isn't a perfect port. And even if we ignore the resolution, arcade R-Type still has over 100 colors on screen which isn't possible for the MD, probably some slight differences between the soundchips too.
    Last edited by Vludi; 12-30-2016 at 01:47 AM.

And that ignores the fact that just nearly every arcade used ROM directly for the graphics meaning they had access to more graphics memory than any equivalent console (this is why console ports usually add fading, they need to hide those small loading times somehow, and even then backgrounds usually lose a lot of detail).

To say the Mega Drive couldn't have handled a decent port of R-Type is stupid though. Especially when the Master System had a good port.

Outrunner

As close as was Ghouls and Ghosts for sure.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwolf View Post
    As close as was Ghouls and Ghosts for sure.
    GnG wasn't close at all, but even if R-Type was a launch game, a quality <4 meg port to Genesis could have been comparable to the TG-16 version, which actually used pixel-for-pixel assets.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    GnG wasn't close at all, but even if R-Type was a launch game, a quality <4 meg port to Genesis could have been comparable to the TG-16 version, which actually used pixel-for-pixel assets.
    I mean GnG was very nice as for a domestic release, gameplay was on spot, graphics, sounds, etc. Not pixel perfect, but its not necesary. So R-Rype could be similar as it was GnG. I also wanted a Megadrive, R-Type since I enjoyed it on CPC (was a horrible spectrum port but still, I love it), Game Boy and SMS.
    Last edited by Nightwolf; 12-31-2016 at 08:41 PM.

I'd love to see someone port the game the genesis. Though, it probably wouldn't receive a physical release
    Please check out my YouTube channel

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent avlon's Avatar

Seems to run fine on my Genny.

IMG_20161231_125455.jpg

Thread Information