Quantcast

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Double Dragon 4 is announced and it's shit

Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Tower of Power's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EclecticGroove View Post
    Given who the game is being made by, I would have expected a game with GG style sprite work with large detailed characters and interesting stages. Maybe not as large as GG since it's not the same kind of game, but close.
    And a heavy metal inspired re-imaging of the original games soundtracks + some new tunes.

All of that sounds very interesting to me, so long as they got the gameplay done well.

What is shown off here looks like people saw the NES mini selling like hotcakes, wanted to cash in on it quick, and the roulette wheel of "what to whore out" landed on DD.

It might play well, and I hope it does. But it's a blatant cash grab in an attempt to make a quick buck on the NEStalgia boom that the NES Mini has kicked up.

It simply could have been a much better and more interesting game than what this is.
    Saying this is inspired by the NES Mini makes no sense, as that only came out a few months ago, and a game like this has definitely been in development longer than that. If anything, it was inspired by retro sequels like Mega Man 9 and neo-retro stuff like Shovel Knight. Retro games aren't some new fad, and you'd think people on a Sega 16 message board would be more attuned to that...

Yea, you would think that especially with Sonic Mania.

Sonic Mania at least looks like what 2D Sonic on the Saturn might have been like. This is just a really lazy cashgrab. Mania is a nostalgia cashgrab but at least it looks like a competent one (unlike, say, this or Sonic 4).

The best part about Sonic 4 was the reaction at Sonic Retro. I didn't know what nerd rage was before that fateful release.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training fr0zenbuttox's Avatar

i'm not the biggest Double Dragon fan, but i do admire it's legacy because i'm a big advocate of the belt-scrolling beat 'em up!

that said, going back to reused 8-bit graphics just seems lousy, someone said ArcSystemworks is behind this? didn't they make handdrawn anime graphics for something like the Guilty Gear games, and Hardcorps Uprising?

Neogaf would advocate the shit out of this, considering they held Megaman 9, in high regard for throwing out what made Megaman 8 an fantastic game in it's own right.

that looks terrible. just terrible. the gba dd is the best of the series, why couldn't they use those sprites?

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

I would kill for a proper Double Dragon 4 with arcade sprites.

A nice mix of all the old ones and some new enemies, just like how DD2 added Abore and Burnov.

Either redrawn into HD or just displayed with a CRT monitor skin like Final Fight did on PS3.

Reminder this disgrace is being made by the same company that made this:

I rolled off my seat when I saw this utter tosh. Same graphics and no gameplay improvement whatsoever. Where the fuck did Rebecca go? How about upgrading the controls to Denjin Makai, or at least Streets of Rage 2? The Double Dragon era is clunky and dated ever since Streets of Rage 2. Ignoring Super, Neon, and several others? Why more continuity branches? I would rather use the data as a Vinesauce corruption special than play.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post
    I mean is it wrong to get Neo-Geo/CPS1 or 2 level graphics? I'm so sick and tired of these retro NES style graphics. THere are some things that I wish would just stay in the 80s.
    Well, at least they're not ZX Spectrum or Intellivision graphics like most indies.
    I demand a Blaze spinoff!

Me blog

Hope Exists

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Don't they still have Million(former Technos employees) developing these?

Also, if it's digital only, I guess the 8-bit style graphics make sense in their own way, but I also would have preferred at least Arcade graphics, since that's the origin of the series.

Elemental Master WCPO Agent GameUser-16-32-128's Avatar

Ok, I'm starting to understand the "hi-bit" hate from another thread and feeling the rage. This looks like something an amateur who suddenly learned how to rip sprites, color palette swaps, and calls it a day by slapping a price tag on it would do. I'd be "ok" if this was an actual NES game, but this is for the PS4. I'd expect a silky, smoothly animated beat-em-up with cell-shaded graphics or some other advanced graphic visuals. This is definitely a cash grab. I'm very disappointed to see something like this from Arc Sys.
    Last edited by GameUser-16-32-128; 12-31-2016 at 06:31 PM.

Raging in the Streets

I wonder if i'll be as awful at this as every other Double Dragon game ever.

The fact that this is not a sequel to Double Dragon Neon with WayForward Games developing is the biggest mistake I've ever seen. The original Double Dragon games are trash. I love DD Neon though. The music, HD-updated graphics, the RPG-esque gameplay, the varied levels, great co-op system, corny over-the-top voice acting and again, unbelievable soundtrack. That was everything a Double Dragon game and modern beat-em-up should be. And now they're trotting out this throwback-looking garbage. The game looks abjectly horrible, and I'm so damn disappointed because I wanted a Billy and Jimmy sequel where they beat Skullmaggedon again. What the hell is this?

I'm so disappointed at how bad this game looks.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Outrunner

It's amazing how a keen eyed viewer can see a teaser trailer measured in seconds and somehow spot every single gameplay mechanic and art asset to be featured in the final game.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    The original Double Dragon games are trash. I love DD Neon though.
    I feel like it's the other way around, lol. The cheap 3D graphics and 80's nostalgia pandering really rubbed my rhubarb the wrong way.

As for DD4, I wasn't a Ninty kid so I have no love for the look of this game in the first place, but it still looks better than Neon any day of the week IMO.

Thread Information