Quantcast

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Should I get a PS4 or Xbox One

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    The way you're holding your controller doesn't seem natural at all. I can see a huge empty gap in your pinky finger wrap and too high up on the wing. I'll see if I can upload some pics of my hand holding both controllers tomorrow. It's 12:00am for me right now.
    You most certainly do not want to widen the gap between your ring finger and your middle finger. The human hand has its best grip when all of your fingers are closer together.

I'll just leave this review here.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/dual-shock-4-review
    Last edited by gamevet; 01-04-2017 at 12:50 AM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Antifwhaaa?!?!!? Master of Shinobi Crystalpepsifan's Avatar

I like where this thread is going.

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    You most certainly do not want to widen the gap between your ring finger and your middle finger. The human hand has its best grip when all of your fingers are closer together.

I'll just leave this review here.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/dual-shock-4-review
    Uhm, that review says Microsoft still has the more ergonomic controller.

It also says the Dual Shock 3 analog sticks were pretty bad, again something I've been preaching forever on these forums to death ears.

Yes the old DS3 felt slippery holding. DS4 still does too, even if improved.

Yes, the DS4 has improved triggers, but still not as good as what's on X-Box because on X-Box the top of the controller isn't balanced off the triggers alone like on DS3 & 4. Since the Microsoft controllers has more outer casing around it's shoulder button to better balance the top half of the controller. That's why buddy in the review says the DS4 is still a little top heavy, as there's not much to grip on the top of DS4.

So I don't know why you brought this review up since it since it favours my argument, unless you wanted to bring the touch pad advantage. Which I'm not denying since I already mentioned much earlier that it could come in very handy for inventory item quick key select (think Skyrim and how it only had the D-Pad for this). And that's the only advantage I can think of. If it's used for anything else it would be a disadvantage. So hopefully Sony doesn't force it's devs to make use of this gimmick like Nintendo.

Anyway, I've got a place to be this morning, I'll be back to try to get those snapshots of mine later.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

I ordered this unit over the weekend from Newegg as it was on sale for $230 shipped through New Year's. I know it's only 500 gb, but a buddy of mine recommended a 3 tb external hd that I'll snag once need be.

These 3 games were all on sale last weekend as well. Forza was 35 at Target, and Doom and Duke were 20 and 15 respectfully at Gamestop. The guy at GS tried to sell me the display model with the stickers all over it, so I passed and went across the street (literally) to the other GS to get a sealed copy. Those looked like good deals compared to what I saw online. I realize now that I have 3 FPS games now (including the pack-in), which is weird because that's not one of my favorite genres, but original Doom, Duke and Wolfenstein are all favorites of mine, so I wanted to try the new Doom and couldn't pass up the reissue of Duke 3D. Reading through the Doom thread here on S-16 was a big reason for my seeking that one out.

I'd like to pick up a fighter and Rare Replay before the console arrives this weekend. While Raiden V is high on my list as well, I've come to find out that it is JPN exclusive, so it's very pricey and shipping will take a while. So, I'm going to hold off on it for a little bit.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

@gamevet
    Regarding the Tekken/Street Fighter 6 button controller on the PS3 and 360, what Jackal said is apt. The controller feels nice in your hands, and the buttons are all responsive, but the d-pad is a little funny. It works fine, but it's on the mushy side when pressing, and not exactly what I want for playing fighters. It feels much better in my hands than the SF controller for PS2 though. It has a rubber back which feels great and gives a little grip which aids in precision. You'll just need to get used to the d-pad, it's not bad, you just need to get the feel for it. That said, I've never been crazy about the d-pad on the Dual Shock 3 anyway, it's all about the stick on that controller. If you can get the controller for a good price, I recommend it. But after hearing what Jackal said about the Mayflash adaptor to use the Saturn pad on PS3, I definitely plan on checking that out. I've never heard of it prior to this thread.

And this ongoing discourse about ergonomics in controllers is fascinating. While not the original intent of the thread, in vintage S-16 fashion, it's an interesting detour. I'll just add that everyone's hands are unique, and what feels natural and comfortable to one person may hurt someone else's hands after long use. The little bit I played with the DS4 (a couple hours at a buddy's house), the controller did not feel as good as the DS1-3 to me. I wasn't crazy about the change as it forces my hands to hold in in a more upright fashion than the previous controllers. I prefer when the wings slanted outward further. That said, at no point did it make my hands hurt or anything, it was just different, and I wasn't crazy about the change. Surely, it would be easy for me to get used to.

I bought arcade sticks for the 360 and PS3. I didn't want to deal with those crappy D pads.

The only thing that bothers me with the DS4 is the placement of the lower triggers, which are fine when playing a game, but if I have to set the controller down for a second, it will often cause one of those triggers to register a button press.
    Last edited by gamevet; 01-04-2017 at 01:33 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Raging in the Streets EclecticGroove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    I ordered this unit over the weekend from Newegg as it was on sale for $230 shipped through New Year's. I know it's only 500 gb, but a buddy of mine recommended a 3 tb external hd that I'll snag once need be.

These 3 games were all on sale last weekend as well. Forza was 35 at Target, and Doom and Duke were 20 and 15 respectfully at Gamestop. The guy at GS tried to sell me the display model with the stickers all over it, so I passed and went across the street (literally) to the other GS to get a sealed copy. Those looked like good deals compared to what I saw online. I realize now that I have 3 FPS games now (including the pack-in), which is weird because that's not one of my favorite genres, but original Doom, Duke and Wolfenstein are all favorites of mine, so I wanted to try the new Doom and couldn't pass up the reissue of Duke 3D. Reading through the Doom thread here on S-16 was a big reason for my seeking that one out.

I'd like to pick up a fighter and Rare Replay before the console arrives this weekend. While Raiden V is high on my list as well, I've come to find out that it is JPN exclusive, so it's very pricey and shipping will take a while. So, I'm going to hold off on it for a little bit.
    Nice!

And if you like any of the XBL games, and if you have a 360 (or want to check out some of the games), that 500GB is going to fill up QUICK.
    About half my 360 library is on the backwards compatibility list at this point, and I look forward to the rest. Some of the games actually get a performance boost once they move onto the XB1 which is a nice bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    Uhm, that review says Microsoft still has the more ergonomic controller.

It also says the Dual Shock 3 analog sticks were pretty bad, again something I've been preaching forever on these forums to death ears.

Yes the old DS3 felt slippery holding. DS4 still does too, even if improved.

Yes, the DS4 has improved triggers, but still not as good as what's on X-Box because on X-Box the top of the controller isn't balanced off the triggers alone like on DS3 & 4. Since the Microsoft controllers has more outer casing around it's shoulder button to better balance the top half of the controller. That's why buddy in the review says the DS4 is still a little top heavy, as there's not much to grip on the top of DS4.

So I don't know why you brought this review up since it since it favours my argument, unless you wanted to bring the touch pad advantage. Which I'm not denying since I already mentioned much earlier that it could come in very handy for inventory item quick key select (think Skyrim and how it only had the D-Pad for this). And that's the only advantage I can think of. If it's used for anything else it would be a disadvantage. So hopefully Sony doesn't force it's devs to make use of this gimmick like Nintendo.
    No it doesn't, because I was not talking about the DS3. He mentions that the dead zone found in the DS3 controller is not as pronounced on the DS4.

Also, I was saying that I prefer the ergonomics of the DS4 controller to that of the 360 pad, which used to be my favorite. Nowhere did I suggest, or even hint at, the DS3 being a great controller.

He also said this.

"On balance, the Xbox One controller still has the edge on ergonomics, not to mention those brilliant new rumble features, but if Sony and its developers can find ways to use the touchpad and the built-in Move features to enhance their games, then this could still be the defining pad of the coming generation."
    And this.

You might feel concerned that the extra width of the DualShock 4 might affect its comfort, but while the balance is a little top-heavy in comparison to the new Xbox One pad, the controller actually feels very good in the hand, the extra distance between your paws giving them a little added space to breathe. The new controller has softer curves than before and a more tactile matt finish, and it feels lightweight but solid and robust.
    And this.

As with the DualShock 3, the analogue triggers are light and very springy, but they now curve slightly outwards, which feels odd at first but soon becomes very natural. As before, the triggers have a fair amount of travel and seem very responsive, so they should work well with those driving games where you don't want the pedal on the metal every time. The L1 and L2 buttons also seem easier to grab in a hurry, but still work very smoothly.

The review was also a quick take at the launch, even so, in no way was it a hands on for a week review.
    Last edited by gamevet; 01-04-2017 at 08:11 PM.

Welcome to EX World!! Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Speedy's Avatar

You chose well with those games; the new DOOM is awesome, it's tied with a few others for my game of the year for 2016. Forza looks pretty great as well.

Also, regarding the controller I think the Xbox One controller is more comfortable and I'm normally not a fan of Xbox controllers. The DS4 doesn't feel as nice as the DS2 and the d-pad is meh, which is weird because the Vita (which came out just a year or two before the PS4) has an amazing d-pad.

Thread Information