Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Composite & Stereo mod tutorial for the Sega Genesis Model - 2 *ALL REVISIONS*

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

Megadrive Composite & Stereo mod tutorial for the Sega Genesis Model - 2 *ALL REVISIONS*

Tools Required:

-Drill/Dremel
    -Cross head screwdriver
    -Soldering Iron Gun
    -Soldering Solder wire
    -Cables (Highly recommend 28 gauge cables for better handle. You can find the same wires I used here,)
    http://www.jameco.com/shop/StoreCata...8+gauge+cables
    -Yellow Chassis Mount Phono Jack
    -Red Chassis Mount Phono Jack
    -White Chassis Mount Phono Jack
    (I got all my gold plated jacks from here,)
    http://console5.com/store/parts/av-jacks.html

Ok first off, open up the system and remove all screw to the point where you're able to completely take off the board.

Next, before we work on the board itself. Mark the area on where you want to drill in for your jacks to be placed in.
    I'm working on a VA4 for this tutorial, so I'll be placing them on the side since the VA3 & 4 have a completely empty spot on the side.

Once you found the place that pleases you, drill in the holes but not too big. Just enough for the jacks to fit in.
    (Ignore the wider hole that's for s-video for this tutorial).

Once you placed your jacks in, prepare the 2 small ground wires on them to get it out of the way.

Half way done!

Next, locate the AV jack and flip the board to see the solder points.

NOW, ALL MODEL 2s SHARE THE SAME, MAIN POINTS TO GET YOUR COMPOSITE/STEREO UNDERNEATH THE AV JACK. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE ON DIFFERENT MODEL 2 REVISIONS IS THE EXTRA SOLDER SPOTS BELOW THOSE POINTS. JUST FOLLOW THE TRACES.

Yes, you can get your composite/stereo from solder points below the main composite/stereo points underneath the AV jack.
    Some model - 2 revisions offer a few more points than others. they can also be further than others. Just be sure to follow the traces. This makes it easier to avoid possibly soldering 2 solder points together from the main points of the AV jack.

To make this easier, I've used colored wires to match. So,
    RED=right audio WHITE=white audio YELLOW=composite BROWN=ground.

Depending on your revision model 2, make sure your cables have access to the top. With the VA4, there's a gap I can run them off from.

Now finish up by soldering the other end of your 3 wires to their proper jacks and the 4th wire to the ground, to ground them together.

(My cables were too short so I had solder 4 small wires of the same color on them to reach the jacks, that's why you see electric duct tap on them, apart from keeping it organized of course). ;p

Once you've soldered all the cables, go test it out and if it's all good. Finish up by hot gluing the soldered spots.

You're done!

For more Sega Genesis model - 2 modding tutorials, please visit the following link below.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ding-Tutorials
    Last edited by Thunderblaze16; 11-05-2017 at 12:02 PM.
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Road Rasher

Why not just use the A/V cord straight from the multi out? Stereo sound, composite video, RGB, its all there.

Quote Originally Posted by CasetheCorvetteman View Post
    Why not just use the A/V cord straight from the multi out? Stereo sound, composite video, RGB, its all there.
    You have a MUCH better higher chance of finding av to av out cables if you can't find your model 2 cable and it's just nice to have the option really.
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Why not install all of the jacks at the rear? It isn't hard at all. That looks tacky in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Segaedge View Post
    Why not install all of the jacks at the rear? It isn't hard at all. That looks tacky in my opinion.
    Yeah, I know but VA3 & 4 boards have an entire emptied space on the side, so I took advantage of the free area. It can still be done from the back but I don't mind it like this. Wherever you prefer is the answer.

Last edited by Thunderblaze16; 01-06-2017 at 11:44 AM.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderblaze16 View Post
    You have a MUCH better higher chance of finding av to av out cables if you can't find your model 2 cable and it's just nice to have the option really.
    No you dont, theyre all over ebay, and theyre cheaper than doing this mod.

They came with the console to start with!

Youre butchering perfectly good looking Mega Drives by doing this, and it is completely redundant.

Road Rasher

VA3 & 4 boards have an entire emptied space on the side, less in the way. It can still be done from the back but I don't mind it.

Those switches can be put inside the CD expansion cover, loads of space, and theyre not seen there then.

No you dont, theyre all over ebay, and theyre cheaper than doing this mod.

They came with the console to start with!

Youre butchering perfectly good looking Mega Drives by doing this, and it is completely redundant.

Sorry this 'tutorial' thread that's optional to all owners of this system bothers you so much. There should be a 'report thread' option somewhere in this thread. If you google, 'sega genesis model 2 av mod', you won't find anyone else doing this.

Hey! Check it out, it also has s-video right next to the composite jack. I don't think the original cables offered that signal...
    Whoa, look at this cable now!

Please try not to overreact and focus so much on how it looks but rather the more options you have now.
    Thank you.

Those switches can be put inside the CD expansion cover, loads of space, and theyre not seen there then.
    Will shit, why even bother? Just buy a game genie or converter, it's just butchering the system by giving it easier options.
    Last edited by Thunderblaze16; 01-06-2017 at 11:55 AM.

Road Rasher

Youre taking it the wrong way.

It doesnt bother me at all, its not my console, im just wondering why you would bother going to so much effort when its all factory fitted to start with.

S-video is possibly a bit pointless these days, especially on a console that spits out nice clean RGB. Its a MASSIVE step up from s-video, where s-video isnt much better than composite.

No dramas at all mate, im not concerned if you want to do this, but it really does beg the question when there are so many mods that are useful!!

Road Rasher

Sorry this 'tutorial' thread that's optional to all owners of this system bothers you so much. There should be a 'report thread' option somewhere in this thread. If you google, 'sega genesis model 2 av mod', you won't find anyone else doing this.

Hey! Check it out, it also has s-video right next to the composite jack. I don't think the original cables offered that signal...
    Whoa, look at this cable now!

Please try not to overreact and focus so much on how it looks but rather the more options you have now.
    Thank you.

Will shit, why even bother? Just buy a game genie or converter, it's just butchering the system by giving it easier options.
    Because it looks better without switches all over it Nice and clean.

Looks like you do some other very worthwhile mods, but this one really just seems like a lot of effort for no gain.

Road Rasher

S-video is possibly a bit pointless these days
    It's not, actually.

especially on a console that spits out nice clean RGB. Its a MASSIVE step up from s-video, where s-video isnt much better than composite.
    It's the other way around actually :
    Composite >>>>>>>>>> S-Video >> RGB

More options are always good ; and s-video is very common in NA unlike RGB, and many (if not most) component crt tvs there are 31khz ( = bad for 240p). Some pro crt monitors don't have RGB inputs but do have S-Video.
    Last edited by Ryoandr; 01-07-2017 at 11:04 AM.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Ryoandr View Post
    It's not, actually.

It's the other way around actually :
    Composite >>>>>>>>>> S-Video >> RGB

More options are always good ; and s-video is very common in NA unlike RGB, and many (if not most) component crt tvs there are 31khz ( = bad for 240p). Some pro crt monitors don't have RGB inputs but do have S-Video.
    You just repeated the same thing i allready said.... So what do you mean its the other way around?

Its actually more like:
    Composite >> s-video >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> RGB

Ive compared many consoles with all 3 on both an NEC XG852 and a Barco Cine 9, which are two or the absolute best CRTs available. S-video was better than composite and there is no doubt about that, but not that much better when you see the extreme step up to RGB on a set capable of displaying it.

Ive never ever seen a pro grade CRT that did not have RGB inputs, and was in the industry installing and calibrating them for 17.5 years. Im not sure what a US spec display has to be to be considered pro grade, but in Europe and Australia anything commercial grade had RGB. An NEC XM29 is commercial grade, as is a Sony PVM and BVM, every one of them ive seen had RGB.

I know that majority of domestic grade consumer TVs had only composite, it was the same here, but every CRT can be made to take RGB with a reasonably simple mod. It varies between sets, but the can ALL take RGB, you just need to modify them.

The thing about domestic grade CRTs is theyre generally pretty ordinary when it comes to sharpness, which can also be enhanced considerably by modifying the video input/output path.

RGB is capable of close to 400MHz bandwidth, where as s-video and composite are limited to about 10MHz, so to suggest s-video is even close to the capability of RGB is somewhat flawed. Even though the signal is only a regular 15.7kHz and needs nothing like 400MHz bandwidth, and most serious comercial CRTs dont have much more than about 150-200MHz bandwidth, you still have 3 perfect clean pure primary colours with RGB, which is not possible with s-video, where encoding is needed, then the display has to decode it back to RGB to display it.

You wont get this sharpness or purity from s-video no matter how good your display is
    Last edited by CasetheCorvetteman; 01-07-2017 at 12:13 PM.

Road Rasher

lots of sony PVMs models have no RGB and top at S-Video, same with JVC/Panasonic models. My JVC TM-H1750 is S-Video max in stock form, and requires an expansion card to do RGB/Component ; DT-V line comes naked.

I live in litteral scart land, so I know rgb quality, but it's a bit too easy to dismiss S-video like that.

If I wanted to use a TRRS jack for composite video and stereo audio out, what's the pinout? I never have trouble with connecting TRS jacks for stereo audio, but TRRS pinouts always confuse me.

Also, I don't fully understand how to ground with a TRRS jack. I've heard people say it's best to ground each RCA jack separately, but TRS and TRRS both have just one grounding pin. Is that enough for ground and won't cause any problems in video output with a TRRS output?

Looks like in the pics of this topic, all of the RCA jacks are bridged together for ground though, so whoever mentioned that RCA jacks needed to be grounded separately may have been talking out of their ass.

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
    If I wanted to use a TRRS jack for composite video and stereo audio out, what's the pinout? I never have trouble with connecting TRS jacks for stereo audio, but TRRS pinouts always confuse me.

Also, I don't fully understand how to ground with a TRRS jack. I've heard people say it's best to ground each RCA jack separately, but TRS and TRRS both have just one grounding pin. Is that enough for ground and won't cause any problems in video output with a TRRS output?

Looks like in the pics of this topic, all of the RCA jacks are bridged together for ground though, so whoever mentioned that RCA jacks needed to be grounded separately may have been talking out of their ass.

While I can't help you with the TRRS thing, I can tell you everything GND related can be bridged and pulled from the same area. GND is the same everywhere you know you can get it from. Well except for s-video, for some reason I always get colorless or blurry picture most of the time if I don't get GND from a 47uF cap.

Thread Information