Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sonic 3 VS Sonic and Knuckles, and everything in-between. My thoughts on it.

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Lync View Post
    Of all the levels I really like Mushroom Hill Zone, especially as you progress the level scenery changes in those 'autumn' colors. Makes me feel cozy... but stacking them all up, honestly S3 and S&K are dead even to me with the exception of Carnival Night Zone; that was my least favorite stage, and even then I think it's a good level. And I nailed this on my first try age six:

Yeah, I was one of the few or many that got stumped for some time the first time I got here. But I'm pretty sure I figured it out on my own soon after. Still, sure was frustrating the first time I got stuck there. I actually even thought maybe my copy of the game was glitched.

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Obviously View Post
    I always thought neither game made sense without the other. When you realize they're one game the difficulty curve works out pretty well. To me, both games feel like they're missing something when they're separated but there's no way I can look past a bias I've had since I was a kid. Sonic 3 & Knuckles is one of my favorite games of all time and I've played it to the point where it's difficult for me to step back and analyze. It's all so ingrained into me that I can't really look at the levels critically since I breeze through them so effortlessly and have such fond memories of the entire package.

So maybe my opinion would be different if I had a fresher set of eyes but I'm too far gone to really judge Sonic 3 and S&K against each other as separate experiences.

I will however say each game has a single Zone I don't care for. Carnival Night in 3 (no I didn't get stuck on the barrel as a kid and I didn't even know this was a problem for people until I was an adult) and Sandopolis in S&K (though I give them kudos for trying something different unique with it).
    Keep in mind Launch Base zone was toned down difficulty wise by quite a bit so the difficulty transition between the two games were smoother. This video here does a nice side by side comparison on how that was achieved (@4:15);

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert molul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Sonic and Knuckles levels on the other hand are freaking frustrating. Mushroom Hill Zone is decent. Sandopolis Zone is absolutely frustrating and puzzle like. Reminds me a lot of something that would be in Castle of Illusion. Lava Reef Zone Act 1 is great, Act 2 is meh. Hidden Palace Zone is boring. Death Egg Zone tried my patience unbelievably, and I felt like I was playing Zero Wing or Thunder Force IV with the music the entire time. Miniboss is unbelievably hard, while the 2nd Boss is unbelievably easy. Sky Sanctuary Zone has amazing music, but looks really ugly for a Sonic game. It makes you wonder if the level was really finished. I think Sky Sanctuary Zone looks like something out of a Sonic ROM Hack. The Doomsday Zone is probably the best epic Final Final boss in all of the series though, and it makes getting the chaos emeralds worthwhile.
    Wow. I could agree Sandopolis is boring and long, but:

-Mushroom Hill: not a great first zone (it wasn't meant to be), but music is very cool (I love the drums breaks every now and then), and the season change was a nice touch.

-Flying battery: probably the best level.

-Lava Reef: finally a proper lava zone in a Sonic game! Music in act 1 is awesome, but when the lava cools down after the mini boss fight and the act 2 music begins, that's one of my fondest Sonic memories.

-Hidden palace: just a transition stage, but we fight Knuckles with the prophecy artwork behind!

-Sky sanctuary: one of the best tunes, it really fits the visuals, sounds like you are ascending a tower in the sky. Fighting Mecha Sonic's homage to old boss was nice. And what about the cutscene to Death Egg?

-Death Egg: to me, the best final zone ever in a Sonic game. Music is very cool, gimmicks everywhere (that gravity flip), and the boss chain is epic: boss, epic boss (two transformations), chase Robotnik, then Doomsday zone.

-Doomsday zone: the best final boss in a Sonic game.

Of course I understand the op's opinion but, oh my, when I read the zones impressions I felt the need to write this post xD

Quote Originally Posted by molul View Post
    Wow. I could agree Sandopolis is boring and long, but:

-Mushroom Hill: not a great first zone (it wasn't meant to be), but music is very cool (I love the drums breaks every now and then), and the season change was a nice touch.

-Flying battery: probably the best level.

-Lava Reef: finally a proper lava zone in a Sonic game! Music in act 1 is awesome, but when the lava cools down after the mini boss fight and the act 2 music begins, that's one of my fondest Sonic memories.

-Hidden palace: just a transition stage, but we fight Knuckles with the prophecy artwork behind!

-Sky sanctuary: one of the best tunes, it really fits the visuals, sounds like you are ascending a tower in the sky. Fighting Mecha Sonic's homage to old boss was nice. And what about the cutscene to Death Egg?

-Death Egg: to me, the best final zone ever in a Sonic game. Music is very cool, gimmicks everywhere (that gravity flip), and the boss chain is epic: boss, epic boss (two transformations), chase Robotnik, then Doomsday zone.

-Doomsday zone: the best final boss in a Sonic game.

Of course I understand the op's opinion but, oh my, when I read the zones impressions I felt the need to write this post xD
    Just randomly saw this when going back over some old posts...but our opinions really aren't that far off. I would say looking back that my opinions of S&K are a little harsh...my real main problems with the game are just the drudgery of MORE blue sphere zones to get the Super Emeralds, the awfulness that is Sandopolis Zone Act 2, and I wasn't a huge fan of Death Egg. But as a combined game...Sonic 3 & Knuckles is still by far one of my all-time favorite games. There's just more polish overall on it than any other game in the series, save Sonic Mania. But Sonic Mania unfortunately was harangued by the fact that it was mostly recycled zones. Now if that game had 3/4s new zones in the vein of Studiopolis and Mirage Saloon, hands-down it would be the best Sonic game. But as it stands, Sonic 3 Complete is the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Baloo, what are the Japanese sci-fi movies you associate with S&K's look?

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Knight View Post
    Baloo, what are the Japanese sci-fi movies you associate with S&K's look?
    Don't know about movies, but there was a comparison a while back showing a ton of similarities between S3&K and Laputa: Castle in the Sky.

Thread Information