Quantcast

Thread: Hot glue or super glue for S-Video mounting?

Genesis Hot glue or super glue for S-Video mounting?

I bought these S-Video ports off of ebay to do Sega Genesis S-video modded consoles for some customers: http://www.ebay.com/itm/311145316415...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Will those stay on just fine with hot glue or would it be better to use super glue? Tbh I really don't like using super glue though because it gets really tough to get off excess super glue from my fingers.

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

For the jack to stay in place or the soldered cables in it? Places like Console5 sale the jack with the piece to hold it in place.
    https://console5.com/store/s-video-j...lder-type.html

I recommend hot glue because with enough force, you can pull it out if you've made a mistake.
    Super glue is just messy and will stick with no real easy way to remove it.
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I hate super glue. It's way over-rated.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Super Hot glue.

Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent EyeDeeNo76's Avatar

I like using cyanoacrylate but not for installing something like a S-Video socket and hot glue is nice too but still wouldn't use it either. Would use a panel mount S-Video socket to installed through the plastic Mega-nesis shell half.
    By the way if one gets Super Glue on their fingers or stuck together, soak in acetone (nail polish remover) few minutes to breakdown the glue. Super Glue sets fast on skin because of the moisture in your skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderblaze16 View Post
    For the jack to stay in place or the soldered cables in it? Places like Console5 sale the jack with the piece to hold it in place.
    https://console5.com/store/s-video-j...lder-type.html
    Yeah I've used those jacks but I don't like how much force is needed to plug the S-Video jack in and out. I've used one of those S-Video jacks before on the ebay listing I linked and S-Video cables plugged in just right. They also look more stock like than the console5 jacks. I just don't remember if I used hot glue or super glue, it was most likely hot glue and it stayed mounted just fine. As for the gold S-Video jacks console5 sells, those ones mount really well but the S-Video cords end up being too loose on them.

I recommend hot glue because with enough force, you can pull it out if you've made a mistake.
    Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I hate super glue. It's way over-rated.
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    Super Hot glue.
    Thank you!! I couldn't agree more. I was watching GameTechUS' youtube videos and he mounts everything with super glue, I don't understand why. He doesn't trust hot glue at all it seems like except for when putting short sticks of them underneath NESRGB boards. Although, I will admit he seems to really know how to use super glue because he doesn't use too much and you can barely see the glue. But anyway, it just got me thinking if I should switch to super glue, but I wasn't sure.
    Last edited by roadkill; 01-18-2017 at 11:18 PM.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Super Glue works best with a really small application. My problem with it is that it cracks when it has movement from multiple directions. I've used it on plastic parts and they've always fallen apart within weeks, if not days, of doing the repair.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

I'd think the nicest looking mod would be one where the jacks are mounted to a piece inside the shell so they still look recessed, but not using those panel mounts so you don't have weird looking chrome/silver on the outside of your Genesis.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Hot glue disintegrates if exposed to rubbing alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    I'd think the nicest looking mod would be one where the jacks are mounted to a piece inside the shell so they still look recessed, but not using those panel mounts so you don't have weird looking chrome/silver on the outside of your Genesis.
    Agreed, but all those types I've found on ebay and elsewhere would require me to install them on the Genesis motherboard upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    Hot glue disintegrates if exposed to rubbing alcohol.
    Yeah I already knew that, but it takes a good amount of rubbing alcohol to disintegrate hot glue, at least the hot glue I use.

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

I used epoxy resin (whatever had the highest adhesive rating) when I added a microswitch and an auxiliary-out port to a Game Boy about ten years ago. Doesn't break plastic down, cleans up easily (as it takes a while to cure), and it's durable. For me, hot glue is suitable only for holding wires onto PCBs to keep them locked down, or for making grade-school Christmas craft projects out of felt and such.

Done with Sega-16 (sorta) Master of Shinobi

Neither, use bolts or screws to secure your jacks or the specter of Drakon will haunt you for years to come.

The Best Genesis Master of Shinobi GohanX's Avatar

Exactly. Use panel mount svideo jacks or go home.
    Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder
    Recently I sold the majority of my 32X games for a measly 18 bucks. With it, I bought some tacos. Definitely a more pleasing choice.

Thread Information