Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For those who can't afford the Framemeister...

Master of Shinobi

Genesis For those who can't afford the Framemeister...

...how much worse is a cheaper alternative like this in comparison?

s-l1600.jpg
    Last edited by Jeckidy; 01-21-2017 at 05:56 AM.

Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeckidy View Post

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1080P-AV-CVB...-/401262412570
    I have one of those.

I've only used it a couple times though when I've hooked up the Retron 5 to a composite-only CRT TV. Worked pretty well.
    Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again! As the Jews re-established their Israel, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans!

Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Tower of Power's Avatar

I have one of these. It's usable. I was able to get through Super Metroid, Actraiser, and other games on it. Lag isn't too bad if you're not playing a reflex heavy game. It can handle 240p, but doesn't upscale it 100% correctly, there's some upscaling artifacts.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

I bought a cheap scaler for the heck of it, before later getting a framemeister for capturing video. It only output 16:9, there was lag, the image quality was bad, but also had a fugly filter effect and it only output a singke resolution.

I could try to rate it in comparison to the framemeister and say that it was a 1 out of 10 and the framemeister is 10/10, but that would still be misleading.

As far as I was concerned at the time, before even having a framemeister, it was useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Sports Talker

Buy a rgb2vga and add a sync stripper and scalines generator IST the second best choise and hell cheap over the xrbgmini

Welcome to EX World!! Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Speedy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dc laneta View Post
    Buy a rgb2vga and add a sync stripper and scalines generator IST the second best choise and hell cheap over the xrbgmini
    Do you have a link on where to buy an RGB2VGA? I looked it up and all I see are schematics for building one.l

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

I assume he's talking about the GBS-8200, which are all over eBay for around $20. Like most cheap scalers, it processes 240p as 480i.

s-l1600.jpg
    I would say S-Video mod your Genesis and then get one of these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought that for a friend who had just bought a SNES2 but his HDTV couldn't handle composite video output on the SNES too well, the screen was shaking. I hooked that up to his TV and we were both amazed at how much the video quality improved on the SNES and how it didn't have any input lag. That was just on composite too (he doesn't have S-Video nor RGB restored on his SNES2). Getting your Genesis S-Video modded and then using one of those would certainly be very close to RGB quality IMO, but you can also use it for composite. However, the Genesis' composite video quality is inferior to the Super Nintendo's for some reason (and also inferior to even the NES' composite output as well). Unlike most users here, I actually prefer S-Video over RGB because I don't have to buy a SCART cable and I don't have to worry about losing sync on certain resolutions that games use on the Genesis (such as the two player split screen on Sonic 2), so I find it to be more compatible and more plug and play with HDTVs that I use. That converter box upscales both composite and S-Video to either 720p or 1080p, there's a button to switch between both resolutions on it and also a button to switch between composite and S-Video. It has very good build quality and video quality (it processes 240p properly and then upscales it to 720p/1080p rather than converting 240p to 480i like most HDTVs do).

A lot of DVD recorders can also convert S-Video to component 480p if you happen to have one, that's what I use for my setup and it looks great with no input lag. That's how I play retro consoles on all HDTVs since newer TVs got rid of S-Video.

If you don't know how to mod your Genesis for S-Video output, already modded ones go for fairly decent prices on ebay. Just put 'Genesis S-Video' in the search box and they'll come up. Or you can get an S-Video modded 32X that you can use on your current Genesis and any other Genesis. You won't be disappointed with the upgrade at all, while still being much cheaper than buying a framemeister.

Here's an example of the kind of video quality you can expect from S-Video (this was recorded in 480i):
    Last edited by roadkill; 01-28-2017 at 06:30 AM.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

For those who can't afford the Framemeister...

Social Justice Ninja Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    this + powered SCART to component converter (bought a quality one on ebay for like <$40?) and you're golden

if not, check out OSSC, or save your pennies

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

If space is really such an issue, just get a small RGB monitor. I have one on my desk in my small game room.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Done with Sega-16 (sorta) Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNinja View Post
    if not, check out OSSC
    The OSSC is starting to come along pretty nicely, and from what I've seen works even better than the Framemeister especially when it comes to switching resolutions.

And here come the RGB suggestions. This forum really love their RGB fix don't they? S-Video is plenty for me and is more easier and cheaper to use while still looking as good as RGB IMO.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

I still play my Genesis in composite. Just don't have the time for installing an S-Video mod in any of them. Whenever I get a Mega Amp for my Genesis 2 VA2, it'd be nice to install that component board along with S-Video.

What I don't get is why do people despise CRTs of any size yet will heartily recommend using gigantic 50"+ HDTVs? Last I checked, anyone can carry a 21" CRT by themselves. It takes at least two people to lug around a massive flatscreen TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    I still play my Genesis in composite. Just don't have the time for installing an S-Video mod in any of them. Whenever I get a Mega Amp for my Genesis 2 VA2, it'd be nice to install that component board along with S-Video.

What I don't get is why do people despise CRTs of any size yet will heartily recommend using gigantic 50"+ HDTVs? Last I checked, anyone can carry a 21" CRT by themselves. It takes at least two people to lug around a massive flatscreen TV.
    Yes I agree with that, the Genesis actually looks fine on CRT TVs through composite video. It really annoyed me in Adam Koralik's youtube video about how to connect RGB to HDTVs and saying "people who say that it's supposed to be played on old TVs and look like crap have no idea what they're talking about". That can't be farther from the truth, retro consoles were designed for CRT TVs in mind and using composite on CRT TVs will give you decent video quality for old consoles but not really on RF though, RF should always be avoided whenever possible.

I'm also in the process of adding an RGB to component video board inside my Genesis Model 1 VA7 along with S-Video and maybe get a Mega Amp for it. But I also have a Genesis Model 2 VA3 that has decent sound compared to a Model 1 VA7, so I might just go with that model instead, although it has a Samsung video encoder so I wouldn't be able to add S-Video. The composite video quality on it doesn't look too bad though, even compared to my Model 1 VA3's CXA1145.
    Last edited by roadkill; 02-03-2017 at 03:39 AM.

Thread Information