Quantcast

Page 370 of 371 FirstFirst ... 270320360366367368369370371 LastLast
Results 5,536 to 5,550 of 5558

Thread: Pier Solar: Official Thread

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Hey, thanks for the rep, guys. I should go back and play SoS1937 some more, since I enjoyed puttering around in it (I think I got caught up in Speed Devils instead and didn't go back to it). I do remember being disappointed that there was no 2P mode.

While we're on Dreamcast racers, I thought Wacky Races was pretty fun. It gets a bad review over at the Video Game Critic site, but I used the very car he warns against (Creepy Coupe) and had a fine time. The only major criticisms I'd have are that it doesn't really have an ending sequence, and that the framerate sometimes dips lower than it should. Also, the announcer is pretty irritating, though in a campy way.

Toy Commander is another excellent one -- it gets off to a bumpy start, but once I got past the first few levels it really clicked for me. I'd like to try the budget Toy Racer follow-up game, though I'll keep my expectations low.

OTOH I've been trying to play The Grinch lately, and I don't like it at all. Seaman has also been kind of disappointing.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

^I've always meant to play through a full Seaman lifecyle (or whatever that is). I've been putting it off since it's heyday. Somehow I think I will have time one day for it, but I never really get around to it.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    Interesting. I was going for just above 90% with the DC. Many of the games most people consider average, or even bad, I know I would enjoy in any system. I'm thinking games like Gladiator, Future Tactics or Fantavision on the PS2.
    90%? 90% of the games you've played, I can see. Since it's normal to play games because you expect you'll enjoy them. I'll be very surprised if you still say 90% after playing games like ECW: Anarchy Rulz, The Grinch, and Army Men: Sarge's Heroes. Then again, you've already surprised me.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Just got my Reprint yesterday.
    I've already completed the game on PC, but I had to play it again on my MD.
    I have a model 1 with HD Graphics without TMSS. The game boots after a reset. (Tested with 50/60hz, EN only)
    Personally, it doesn't bother me that much, of course I'd prefer a "clean" boot but everything is working as it should.
    Thank you Watermelon for this game!
    SEGA, é mais forte que tu!

Wildside Expert

I got my reprint yesterday. Game works great (playing it on a CDX). However, when I use the enhanced soundtrack CD, each track just stops playing after about a minute. Eventually the game just switched back to the cartridge soundtrack.

Quote Originally Posted by stewy View Post
    I got my reprint yesterday. Game works great (playing it on a CDX). However, when I use the enhanced soundtrack CD, each track just stops playing after about a minute. Eventually the game just switched back to the cartridge soundtrack.
    Same issue here on my model 1 Genesis and model 1 Sega CD setup, going to test it on my model 2 setup when I get a chance and will update.

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    90%? 90% of the games you've played, I can see. Since it's normal to play games because you expect you'll enjoy them. I'll be very surprised if you still say 90% after playing games like ECW: Anarchy Rulz, The Grinch, and Army Men: Sarge's Heroes. Then again, you've already surprised me.
    90% of the entire U.S. NTSC library. Yes. I can enjoy all the ones you mentioned. Wanna get me? Try throwing an NFL game at me.

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

I haven't flicked back in this thread to check but Pier Solar is currently part of the Weekly Humble Bundle for $5 https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Dc

FYI, Pier Solar for Dreamcast & PC production samples:

As per the video, once everything is validated the projected shipping date will be sometime at the end of June hopefully.
    Last edited by SEGA.GENESIS1989; 05-28-2015 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Additional info added
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Awesome video. I wonder if the regular gameplay on the Dreamcast will have any new or different features. If not, I'll probably play New Game "+" just so that it'll give me a different sort of experience from what I played on the Genny/CD.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Yep, this video was quite informative. And it didn't even have any special effects or background music! Tulio took his time to discuss more info about this release. His previous video was equally as good as well.
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

I'm more than a bit late, but finally got to Pier Solar, Gen version.

First impressions:
    - dialog is better than expected
    - music is great
    - loading times when entering new areas are too long
    - I could see the "fonzie touch" in lots of places, the loading animations, menu, fades, etc, all very well made
    - the save system is annoying, I first lost some progress by it (enter area -> collect chests -> save, upon load those chests were unopened again!)
    - having three characters walking/adjusting themselves is a bit disorienting on who you're controlling and where you're moving

I also tried to play it on an emulator to have it on the go, but I guess I hit some of the protections there, so hw genny only. Some events were missing and at one point you couldn't progress anymore.

Tiido's apprentice Road Rasher TulioAdriano's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roce View Post
    I'm more than a bit late, but finally got to Pier Solar, Gen version.
    Better late then never!

- loading times when entering new areas are too long
    Each area should always have the same loading time, regardless if it's new or not. The loading is due to the high compression applied to graphics and texts. Without compression Pier Solar would have been a 256 MEG or more :P

- the save system is annoying, I first lost some progress by it (enter area -> collect chests -> save, upon load those chests were unopened again!)
    That's by design. It was done this way to prevent "grinding exploits" such as move a bit, save, load, move a bit, save load... etc. All states are saved based on the last door entered as a checkpoint. Pier Solar HD changed the save system to save point plus auto-save to kill the confusion.

- having three characters walking/adjusting themselves is a bit disorienting on who you're controlling and where you're moving
    Not sure what you mean by that, but if you're referring to the auto-avoid obstacles it can be disabled. This functionality was done to mimick the same one existing in Lunar.

I also tried to play it on an emulator to have it on the go, but I guess I hit some of the protections there, so hw genny only. Some events were missing and at one point you couldn't progress anymore.
    Yeah Pier Solar is not compatible with emulators.

All the best!

2021 will be the year 2Dream!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Skullkid's Avatar

So can you still order new Genesis cartridges? Also, are there any differences between the genesis version and the windows version?

You can only pre-order them on Magical Game Factory. Windows version is the director's cut, with HD graphics, slightly expanded story & new quests, more mini-games, new saving system, one new music track I think, new ending(s) and perhaps some other stuff I may have forgotten.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Thread Information