Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Definitive Nintendo Wii 'Best Games' Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bottino View Post
    If you're into STGs, I can safely recommend Shikigami no Shiro 3/Castle of Shikigami 3:

Red Steel 2 - My favorite single player experience on the Wii so far, the gameplay is perfection, probably the best use of motion controls on the system
    I took note
    "I wanted to create something that the Famicom wouldn’t have been able to do..." (Kotaro Hayashida)
    Wii is dying. Last game Just Dance 2020. Thanks for all!

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
    Shining Force Style! More titles in wii with this genre? I loved Shining Force.
    Last edited by segarule; 02-17-2017 at 07:24 PM.
    "I wanted to create something that the Famicom wouldn’t have been able to do..." (Kotaro Hayashida)

Quote Originally Posted by segarule View Post
    Hi friends, i bought a Nintendo Wii and i dont know the best library of console, except Mario Galaxy (1 &2), Mario Kart, Muramasa, Donkey Kong.
    What titles you recommend and manly unknown but good?
    Wii have many underappreciated gems, aside from Nintendo big hits and a few third party big games those are the true gold of the system.
    Check out these games with Metacritic score lower than 80:
    Silent Hill Shattered Memories (more a "walking simulator" than a true SH but totally awesome), The house of the dead Overkill, Prince of Persia The forgotten sands (to not be confused with the HD game which is totally different), Rabbids go home, Kororinpa 1&2 (the motion controls and sweet mood of the first one is amazing), Sakura Wars So long my love (only SW to be released outside Japan), Ghost Squad (conversion of Sega arcade classic), Excite Truck, Trackmania (best racing game on Wii with MKWii and Excite Truck), Endless Ocean (more an experience than a game), Batman The brave and the bold (target kids but it's a quite good side scrolling beat em up), Sonic Colors (best Sonic on console after many years), Order up, Klonoa, Elebtis/Eleedes, The sky Crawlers (it's essentially a Ace Combat spinoff), Pandora Tower, Project Zero 2, Dokapon Kingdom, Disney Epic Mickey (missed potential but still interesting especially if you love Disney), Let's tap (feels like a Sega Dreamcast game), NiGHTS Journey of dreams (disappointing sequel but if you can overcome the flaws it's still enjoyable), Final Fantasy The crystal bearer (missed potential, it's a Zelda-like Final Fantasy), Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Dungeon (good dungeon crawler starring Square yellow mascot), Fragile Dreams (flawed but could be of interested), Trauma Center New blood (Trauma Team is the best), Mercury Meltdown Revolution, Ghostbusters, Metroid Other M (flawed Metroid game despite all the wrong it's not the pile of shit many vocal fans say), Kirby Return to Dreamland, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, Rune Factory Frontier, GoldenEye 007, Opoona, Anno Create new world.

Games with metascore 80 or above:
    Sin and Punishment Star Successor, Zack and Wiki, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy 1&2, New Super Mario Bros, Smash Bros Brawl, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Boom Blox, No More Heroes 1&2, Monster Hunter 3, Rythm Heaven Fever, Dead Space Extraction, PES (from 2008 PES games on Wii are very different than the others on HD because they are pointer based making them more akin real time strategy), Trauma Team, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Punch Out!!, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Little King Story, Okami, A boy and his blob, The Last Story, Xenoblade, Red Steel 2, MadWorld (it's a single player brawler by Platinum, it may get a bit repetitive).

I have excluded Wiiware games some of which are really good (Megaman 9, Castlevania Rebirth, Bomberman Blast).

EDIT:
    In italic some of my favorite games on Wii.
    Last edited by Folco; 02-18-2017 at 11:11 AM.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Folco View Post
    Wii have many underappreciated gems, aside from Nintendo big hits and a few third party big games those are the true gold of the system.
    Check out these games with Metacritic score lower than 80:
    Silent Hill Shattered Memories (more a "walking simulator" than a true SH but totally awesome), The house of the dead Overkill, Prince of Persia The forgotten sands (to not be confused with the HD game which is totally different), Rabbids go home, Kororinpa 1&2 (the motion controls and sweet mood of the first one is amazing), Sakura Wars So long my love (only SW to be released outside Japan), Ghost Squad (conversion of Sega arcade classic), Excite Truck, Trackmania (best racing game on Wii with MKWii and Excite Truck), Endless Ocean (more an experience than a game), Batman The brave and the bold (target kids but it's a quite good side scrolling beat em up), Sonic Colors (best Sonic on console after many years), Order up, Klonoa, Elebtis/Eleedes, The sky Crawlers (it's essentially a Ace Combat spinoff), Pandora Tower, Project Zero 2, Dokapon Kingdom, Disney Epic Mickey (missed potential but still interesting especially if you love Disney), Let's tap (feels like a Sega Dreamcast game), NiGHTS Journey of dreams (disappointing sequel but if you can overcome the flaws it's still enjoyable), Final Fantasy The crystal bearer (missed potential, it's a Zelda-like Final Fantasy), Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Dungeon (good dungeon crawler starring Square yellow mascot), Fragile Dreams (flawed but could be of interested), Trauma Center New blood (Trauma Team is the best), Mercury Meltdown Revolution, Ghostbusters, Metroid Other M (flawed Metroid game despite all the wrong it's not the pile of shit many vocal fans say), Kirby Return to Dreamland, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, Rune Factory Frontier, GoldenEye 007, Anno Create new world.

Games with metascore 80 or above:
    Sin and Punishment Star Successor, Zack and Wiki, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy 1&2, New Super Mario Bros, Smash Bros Brawl, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Boom Blox, No More Heroes 1&2, Monster Hunter 3, Rythm Heaven Fever, Dead Space Extraction, PES (from 2008 PES games on Wii are very different than the others on HD because they are pointer based making them more akin real time strategy), Trauma Team, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Punch Out!!, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Little King Story, Okami, A boy and his blob, The Last Story, Xenoblade, Red Steel 2, MadWorld (it's a single player brawler by Platinum, it may get a bit repetitive).

I have excluded Wiiware games some of which are really good (Megaman 9, Castlevania Rebirth, Bomberman Blast).

EDIT:
    In italic some of my favorite games on Wii.
    Lists are your friends.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    P.S.> Another thing that varies per game is the ability to calibrate the crosshair.
    Like mentioned playing them without a crosshair is possible but don't expect a Guncon-level experience. The Sega shooters can be configured that way but I quickly went back to a crosshair. Playing without a crosshair on a setup without true line-of-sight aiming can be a bitch. Once calibrated you have to physically sit in the exact same spot and shoot with the gun in the same exact position/location. Maybe it was just my setup, maybe with a larger TV set or sitting farther away it works better?

I assumed since it was the same concept it would work as well as an Aimtrak (which I'm perfectly happy with) but it didn't for me. I still use the crosshairs on the Wii I have in an arcade cabinet for shooting games. This all may sound like I'm shitting on Wii shooters, which I'm certainly not. I just gotta have the crosshair on to enjoy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bottino View Post
    If you're into STGs, I can safely recommend Shikigami no Shiro 3/Castle of Shikigami 3:
    Good recommendation. I think is the pinnacle of the series, a definite improvement from Castle Shikigami 2. My call would be for Kororinpa Marble Mania as among the best. Its a simple premise executed properly, akin to Monkey Ball. The motion controls are also spot on.
    He glanced over at the head on a stake 'A Hunnic trophy, I think the man was a Visigoth He died at the Battle of the Catalaunian Fields I keep it here so that I may see it every day and remember' 'Remember what, Father?' I asked him

The scent of a burning village The sound of butchery The way peasants would flee before the Hun riders The way we would ride them down The way it felt to conquer alongside Attila and the Huns

He leaned so close I could feel his breath 'Sometimes... I miss it'

Quote Originally Posted by Azathoth View Post
    Like mentioned playing them without a crosshair is possible but don't expect a Guncon-level experience. The Sega shooters can be configured that way but I quickly went back to a crosshair. Playing without a crosshair on a setup without true line-of-sight aiming can be a bitch. Once calibrated you have to physically sit in the exact same spot and shoot with the gun in the same exact position/location. Maybe it was just my setup, maybe with a larger TV set or sitting farther away it works better?

I assumed since it was the same concept it would work as well as an Aimtrak (which I'm perfectly happy with) but it didn't for me. I still use the crosshairs on the Wii I have in an arcade cabinet for shooting games. This all may sound like I'm shitting on Wii shooters, which I'm certainly not. I just gotta have the crosshair on to enjoy them.
    We're both stating we like the crosshairs.

Banned by Administrators

Seen half of it. Somebody let me know if I missed anything interesting in the second half. Thanks.

^Wrong thread.

Banned by Administrators

Yeah, just noticed that. But what can you do. Lets pretend everything turned out ok.

Quote Originally Posted by fahlim003 View Post
    My call would be for Kororinpa Marble Mania as among the best. Its a simple premise executed properly, akin to Monkey Ball. The motion controls are also spot on.
    Agree.
    I strongly recommend to try Kororinpa out, it's one of my favorite game of the entire generation.
    Ace motion controls, charming music and mood (reminescent of '80s '90s japanese arcade games) and addictive gameplay.
    At the time many reviewers noted how short it was (as in number of stage to beat) and that's because they all missed the memo that the core of Kororinpa is to get the gold cup (beat the stage in a short amount of time).
    Casuals would simply cruise through the game without unlocking any cup (bronze, silver, gold) while core gamers will be in heaven by trying to collect all gold cups.
    Amazing, amazing game and the best Hudson made after the '90s.

Bring on the noise! WCPO Agent Bones Justice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    It varies per game. But, yes, you can in many games. Although I prefer the crosshairs myself, tbh.
    Thanks. I am trying to decide whether to get a Wii or another NES. I really like Hogan's Alley. I have a lot of great lightgun games but there really isn't one like it because it has random action. I have fixed my CRT TV. I have heard that you can emulate the NES on the Wii but I don't know if the Zapper would work with an adapter. Of course, everybody wants like a hundred bones for a regular NES (often without even any cables); I hate to spend that much for one game. At least with the Wii, I could try some other games. I'm not really crazy about the motion games as there is not a lot of room for that nonsense on a boat anyways.
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Bones: "My will...will not die."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-iQfP3mFs

I remember in play 8 years ago only tropical resort stage. I was looking the sonic colors videos and wow have great graphics!
    There is more titles like fire emblem?

Quote Originally Posted by segarule View Post
    I remember in play 8 years ago only tropical resort stage. I was looking the sonic colors videos and wow have great graphics!
    There is more titles like fire emblem?
    Check out Phantom Brave and Sakura Wars So long my love (although the latter is more an adventure game mixed with some strategy parts).

Quote Originally Posted by Bones Justice View Post
    Thanks. I am trying to decide whether to get a Wii or another NES. I really like Hogan's Alley. I have a lot of great lightgun games but there really isn't one like it because it has random action. I have fixed my CRT TV. I have heard that you can emulate the NES on the Wii but I don't know if the Zapper would work with an adapter. Of course, everybody wants like a hundred bones for a regular NES (often without even any cables); I hate to spend that much for one game. At least with the Wii, I could try some other games. I'm not really crazy about the motion games as there is not a lot of room for that nonsense on a boat anyways.
    A boat, you say? I want to see that game room.

On that note, tbh, 99.9% of Wii games with motion controls that are considered actual "games" won't beed much more than a little waggle of the wrist.

Thread Information