Quantcast

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Just got Coffee Crisis....

Road Rasher

I backed the Kickstarter. Making a Genesis / Mega Drive game from scratch is a monumental task. Mad respect and support for everyone keeping my favorite system alive.

That said, I own the Russian bootleg TMNT and Ben 10 games. Coffee Crisis is practically a clone of those. I'm glad Coffee Crisis exists - and I hope Mega Cat and the development team keep working hard to improve.

Here's bootleg TMNT in action.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

sprite work that looks decent, until the characters move
    Initially I didn't understand what you meant by this, but playing the final version now I see the enemy movement became jittery and staggered. It wasn't that way in the original version, finding out what happened there.

I wasn't involved in the final months as I hit some health issues; that's part of what caused the KS delay.

BTW, were the cheat codes included in the manual?

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by roce View Post
    BTW, were the cheat codes included in the manual?
    I don't think so. The manual was kind of light on actual instructions. I flipped through it a couple of times trying to see if there were any explanation of controls (hoping for something beyond main attack and jump) and I don't remember seeing any cheat codes.

A+B is the special attack IIRC.

Here are the codes if anyone feels like cheating:
    5k4b5 levelskip
    yp2py immortal
    az3b5 always bonus
    ur2py instagib

I totally forgot about this game. A while back the developers offered me a "free" copy of this game (meaning that in exchange for it, I would cover it on my show.) I took one look at it and just thought "yeah, nah." Looks like I made the right decision.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Respect for your work on the game roce! Looks like it could have been a good game if some time was spent on audiovisual content and fine tuning. The basics are most certainly there! I hope you guys can build on it with your next project.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Took a bit, but the proper version is done, expect a message soon if you backed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kickstarter comments
    Hi everyone! Updated carts are going out in the next 3-4 weeks, and steam keys are shipping this week!
    Thanks for being patient! :-)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent avlon's Avatar

Are you able to provide info on updates & fixes?

Not in detail, but basically the game is as it should have been at release.

Quote Originally Posted by avlon View Post
    Are you able to provide info on updates & fixes?
    That's what I would like to know too. Otherwise I am not sure whether to spend money to buy it again or not.

I'll be able to say more when they're out. Backers don't need to buy it again, unless you canceled the pledge? (the talk was just shipping for the updated cart, but I don't know the final decision)

As new developers started looking at retro hardware as a viable option for software releases, I was worried that there would be retro-shovelware. I'm not insinuating that all shovelware is bad mind you, as some developers are great at putting out simple to semi-complex game ideas in shorter dev cycles with a focus on getting decent return on investment via short dev-cycles, reused assets, and inexpensive licencing for localization. I saw this on the PSX, with all the simple 1500 games. D3 was awesome at this, and some of my favorite games were budget titles. So this kinda of small-scale game dev can be done well, and inexpensively, but the games need to be good...ish. Goodish.

This looks really bad. I hope devs in the future can focus on gameplay, and creating authentic 4th gen aesthetics and sound, while showcasing old-school and modern game design models. I'd rather get 10 games like Papi Commando, and even Sasha Darko's mess of a game, than this kinda stuff.

Note: I liked both Papi AND Sacred Line. But SL was a mess... Which is a shame, as I love point and click games... Sasha, make more of this stuff.. Please. Make a detective point and click game.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent avlon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    That's what I would like to know too. Otherwise I am not sure whether to spend money to buy it again or not.
    I wouldn't. That response doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

A good product sells itself, and this hasn't proven itself in any way.

If anything, in a single release they had managed to get everybody want to avoid them like the plague. Their reputation is already tainted =/

You're right, it was a botched launch, and regaining trust will take time even if the next one is perfect.

Thread Information