Quantcast

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just got Coffee Crisis....

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher AggroSky's Avatar

Default Just got Coffee Crisis....

So yeah, I kickstarted Coffee Crisis last year purely on the grounds (har har) that it was a new Sega Genesis physical release. It was touted as a "quality" and "groundbreaking" new Sega Genesis game. Heavy Metal was a big theme throughout the campaign as well, which peaked my interest. With the metal band Grey Walker doing the music. The gameplay was touted as a beat em up and pushing the Genesis to it's limits.............

Ok, enough of that. I'll have to admit that when I decided to Kickstart this I was REALLY skeptical. The footage they were showing didn't look great and they gave no music samples what-so-ever. But I figured I'd help these guys out because I appreciated what they were trying to do. Well, I got the game a few days ago. I've been busy so I haven't had a chance to try it until just now. I played for about 10 minutes and got a game over screen. And if I'm being completely honest with myself, I wouldn't care if I ever turned it on again.

So, before I completely and utterly destroy this game, I want to mention that I really appreciate what Mega Cat Studios is trying to do, with a major emphasis on the word trying. And you know, I get it, it's homebrew, which has a spotty record when it comes to quality for obvious reasons. But guys, comon! This is NOT a groundbreaking game. This wouldn't even be considered a good Sega Genesis launch title. It's damn near unplayable. Like I said, I only played for about 10 minutes, but here are the issues I noticed so far:

-When they kept saying "metal" my fear was that the music would sound like the worst Genesis games, rather than the best. You know, that really muddy, garbled, sloppy sounding crunch that lazy Genesis developers loved to use. Sometimes it worked, but most of the time it sounded like tar being rolled over the soundboard. That is what this games soundtrack sounds like.

-While the cut scene graphics sections look decent, the rest of the game I saw (and only the first few levels mind you) looks pretty abysmal. Bland, murky environments with little color, sprite work that looks decent, until the characters move, large areas with no texture what so ever. Yeah, it looks pretty bad sadly. There were NES games that had more detail than this.

-And you know, I could forgive all this if the gameplay was fun. But God man, it's just horrid. Your characters control WAY too fast. As in, they literally race around the screen. It's hard to even line up to enemies. And as far as I can tell, you can do a total of two things: swing your pack of coffee, and jump. That's it. I must have pressed every button combination known to man trying to figure out some sort of other move, hoping that there was a Streets or Rage style fighting system, but as far as I can tell, there's nothing. You hit B, over and over again, smacking poorly animated enemies two and three at a time (I'm guessing they couldn't handle putting more on the screen, because Mega Cat can't grasp the hardware and how to use it properly). You clear out a few enemies, and move onto the next section. Yay!

-On a positive note, the voice work is super clean. Whenever I hear clear voice work on the Gens I'm happy!

-On another positive note, the box, manual and cartridge are gorgeous. And I really appreciate that. The sprite work is prominently featured in the manual and it's laid out nicely. Like I said, when the sprites are standing still, they look pretty good!

Ok, I think I've ranted enough. Personally, I think this game is awful, but I'm not mad that I kickstarted it. If anything, this was maybe a practice run for Mega Cat to figure out the Gens hardware and maybe, just maybe their next effort will be better. I sincerely hope so. I just wish they would have been more honest with their backers rather than using words like "groundbreaking" and "pushing" the hardware. Because those are just outright lies. This game could barely qualify as a poor launch title effort back in 1989, much less 2017.

So it's on you guys now Mega Cat, you got your first game kickstarted. Now it's time to up the ante and create a game that is up to par with games like Pier Solar and the upcoming Tanglewood.

To quote Tupac.... "I ain't mad at cha...."

Yet...

Quote Originally Posted by AggroSky View Post
    Personally, I think this game is awful, but I'm not mad that I kickstarted it. If anything, this was maybe a practice run for Mega Cat to figure out the Gens hardware and maybe, just maybe their next effort will be better.
    I seriously considered backing Coffee Crisis, now I'm glad I didn't. Based on what I've seen so far, this game does seem like a decent first attempt at MD homebrew, but isn't a particularly good game overall. If anything it looks to me like it plays like a demo, rather than a finished game.

Sadly, words like: 'quality' and 'groundbreaking' have little or no legal protection, meaning that anyone can use them to sell something even when there's no meaning to those words. There's many marketing terms that have no real meaning that get thrown around, like: 'world's leading' and 'natural'.

From what I've seen so far, the audio actually seems like something I would enjoy, and some of the graphics look good, but there's a video that seems to confirm every that's already been said:

I hope lessons can be learned and the developer can make a really good game in the future, and I'm willing to bet that someone out there loves this game.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Just a note, the number of enemies on screen depends on your difficulty.

Hero of Algol

Sorry, but this project had all signs of been a turd since its very beginning:
    - Developer's portfolio is pretty much shitty NES games.
    - A dozen of projects being developed at the same time.
    - The packaging is clearly bs made to attract "collectors". Mugs and lots of shit who shouldn't even exist in the first place.
    - Shitty pixel art on all projects I've seen from them.
    - Very low goal for their kickstarter campaign.
    - Never heard directly form them in this forum; which is probably good since I'd shit all over their products.

"Companies" like Mega Cat Studios are a cancer IMO. They output junk software but sell it as if it was something special; a collectible and unique item.

No, I don't respect their effort. Fuck those shitty games!

I thought long and hard before deciding if I would have pledged for the Kickstarter or not. What made me decide against it was these things:

•very little animation.
    •only the use of one bg layer, and very few tiles used for it.
    •no in-game music.

To me, it felt obvious they were trying to hide the flaws of the product, but I am confident to say I saw through that. Hope they give more effort next time. At least the setting is different and some art decent (at best).
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

An acquaintance told me this game is literally using the same engine as the unlicensed Russian beat'em-ups... No idea if that's true (I couldn't find any proper gameplay videos of Coffee Crisis to see how it compares), but that alone should give you the idea. The little I've seen does indeed seem to make it look like a turd.

So it's on you guys now Mega Cat, you got your first game kickstarted. Now it's time to up the ante and create a game that is up to par with games like Pier Solar and the upcoming Tanglewood.
    And people kept saying I was being overkill when I said Project MD was crap because it isn't anywhere comparable to e.g. Sonic 3 & Knuckles or Ristar (or for that matter, even Super Mario Bros 1)... Will you all pay me attention when I bash that game now? I was already demanding a high bar even back then =P

Project MD has such great graphics and music it's worth a release solely because of them. Gameplay can be forgiven. It's like Shadow of the Beast - you play it for the audiovisual experience. Coffee Crisis lacks on that AND the gameplay - big difference.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

It's like if Active Enterprises chose to make each game in Action 52 its own cartridge.

Hey now, some of those were promising =P (unless you mean the NES one, in which case yeah screw that)

Nameless One

So yeah, I kickstarted Coffee Crisis last year purely on the grounds (har har) that it was a new Sega Genesis physical release. It was touted as a "quality" and "groundbreaking" new Sega Genesis game. Heavy Metal was a big theme throughout the campaign as well, which peaked my interest. With the metal band Grey Walker doing the music. The gameplay was touted as a beat em up and pushing the Genesis to it's limits.............

Ok, enough of that. I'll have to admit that when I decided to Kickstart this I was REALLY skeptical. The footage they were showing didn't look great and they gave no music samples what-so-ever. But I figured I'd help these guys out because I appreciated what they were trying to do. Well, I got the game a few days ago. I've been busy so I haven't had a chance to try it until just now. I played for about 10 minutes and got a game over screen. And if I'm being completely honest with myself, I wouldn't care if I ever turned it on again.

So, before I completely and utterly destroy this game, I want to mention that I really appreciate what Mega Cat Studios is trying to do, with a major emphasis on the word trying. And you know, I get it, it's homebrew, which has a spotty record when it comes to quality for obvious reasons. But guys, comon! This is NOT a groundbreaking game. This wouldn't even be considered a good Sega Genesis launch title. It's damn near unplayable. Like I said, I only played for about 10 minutes, but here are the issues I noticed so far:

-When they kept saying "metal" my fear was that the music would sound like the worst Genesis games, rather than the best. You know, that really muddy, garbled, sloppy sounding crunch that lazy Genesis developers loved to use. Sometimes it worked, but most of the time it sounded like tar being rolled over the soundboard. That is what this games soundtrack sounds like.

-While the cut scene graphics sections look decent, the rest of the game I saw (and only the first few levels mind you) looks pretty abysmal. Bland, murky environments with little color, sprite work that looks decent, until the characters move, large areas with no texture what so ever. Yeah, it looks pretty bad sadly. There were NES games that had more detail than this.

-And you know, I could forgive all this if the gameplay was fun. But God man, it's just horrid. Your characters control WAY too fast. As in, they literally race around the screen. It's hard to even line up to enemies. And as far as I can tell, you can do a total of two things: swing your pack of coffee, and jump. That's it. I must have pressed every button combination known to man trying to figure out some sort of other move, hoping that there was a Streets or Rage style fighting system, but as far as I can tell, there's nothing. You hit B, over and over again, smacking poorly animated enemies two and three at a time (I'm guessing they couldn't handle putting more on the screen, because Mega Cat can't grasp the hardware and how to use it properly). You clear out a few enemies, and move onto the next section. Yay!

-On a positive note, the voice work is super clean. Whenever I hear clear voice work on the Gens I'm happy!

-On another positive note, the box, manual and cartridge are gorgeous. And I really appreciate that. The sprite work is prominently featured in the manual and it's laid out nicely. Like I said, when the sprites are standing still, they look pretty good!

Ok, I think I've ranted enough. Personally, I think this game is awful, but I'm not mad that I kickstarted it. If anything, this was maybe a practice run for Mega Cat to figure out the Gens hardware and maybe, just maybe their next effort will be better. I sincerely hope so. I just wish they would have been more honest with their backers rather than using words like "groundbreaking" and "pushing" the hardware. Because those are just outright lies. This game could barely qualify as a poor launch title effort back in 1989, much less 2017.

To quote Tupac.... "I ain't mad at cha...."

Yet...
    I kickstarted this too. I love Metal, Coffee, and Genesis so it has to be awesome right? No quite.

I didn't dislike it as much as you did, but I just thought it was ok. Random thoughts: The fighting pretty much requires constant jump attacks which gets boring. The 'A" button does a special attacks uses health like SOR2. It's more like a game that you would have rented for a day but not worth buying. It is WAY too short. A lot of charter in it. The character sprites are nice. I like how the guards keep their off hands up to guard when they throw a punch.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Yeah, the signs were all there this wasn't even going to register with MD players. One video is all it took.

That's not to say I don't think there is a place for homebrew software that is simpler/smaller in scope. A clever, polished single screen platformer in the vein of Bubble Bobble or Snow Bros built from the ground up for the console would go down very well with this community, and is a more realistic proposition than a beat 'em up that requires tons of art assets and programming alchemy to match expectations with what already exists.

I know Uwol sounds something like that but that one started out on 8-bit computers and was ported to multiple platforms after the fact IIRC, so doesn't count.

As for Project MD, it would be a shame not to see the gameplay developed further and a 'hook' worthy of the polished graphical effects implemented. I like the cute main character and I think she deserves to grow

Banned by Administrators Wildside Expert

virtually the same game

Because it's that engine I mentioned earlier. There's a TMNT game using it too.

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post
    That's not to say I don't think there is a place for homebrew software that is simpler/smaller in scope. A clever, polished single screen platformer in the vein of Bubble Bobble or Snow Bros built from the ground up for the console would go down very well with this community, and is a more realistic proposition than a beat 'em up that requires tons of art assets and programming alchemy to match expectations with what already exists.
    I honestly considered Miniplanets to be on the edge, although I guess that it takes long enough to make it worth it (it takes me about half an hour to complete, but I imagine a new player will probably need a good bunch of tries to finish). Graphics and music aren't exactly great either, other than the globe effect. Then again I didn't go around asking for a lot of money ahead of time. I know a bunch of people complained about it being too simplistic though.

Tanglewood will likely make the bar get raised a ton either way.

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post
    As for Project MD, it would be a shame not to see the gameplay developed further and a 'hook' worthy of the polished graphical effects implemented. I like the cute main character and I think she deserves to grow
    Levels are finished, I'm not gonna touch that part anymore >_>;

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher AggroSky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roce View Post
    Just a note, the number of enemies on screen depends on your difficulty.
    Thanks for the tip! Good to know...

Quote Originally Posted by TemplarX View Post
    I kickstarted this too. I love Metal, Coffee, and Genesis so it has to be awesome right? No quite.

I didn't dislike it as much as you did, but I just thought it was ok. Random thoughts: The fighting pretty much requires constant jump attacks which gets boring. The 'A" button does a special attacks uses health like SOR2. It's more like a game that you would have rented for a day but not worth buying. It is WAY too short. A lot of charter in it. The character sprites are nice. I like how the guards keep their off hands up to guard when they throw a punch.
    Good to know about the special moves as well. That may have helped! LOL

Yeah I'm going to try and finish the game if I can, but I dunno if I'll make it through... Like I said though, I'm not mad about it, more just disappointed because I don't see the point of this unless you plan on at least trying to make a decent game. But hey, I backed it! It's my own fault! lol

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent avlon's Avatar

Even in the kickstarter, the game just looked like pure trash. I know the old saying is to never judge a book by its cover, but the demo videos looked like someone attempted to remake the Simpsons arcade game on a dying Master System.

The lack of a gameplay demo, music, live gameplay demos, graphics, unappealing characters, etc just didn't inspire confidence. The fact that they promoted the gameplay to be like Streets of Rage while it looked like the Simpsons didn't help the credibility of the project either.

Overall, I am glad that I skipped out on that one.
    Last edited by avlon; 03-06-2017 at 08:05 PM.

Thread Information