Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turrican

Usual gripes were framerate and game flow. Mostly framerate, though.

OFF TOPIC.

*Is attacked by OFF TOPIC*

Get it off! Get it off!
    Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33Ghz, 2 GB Samsung DDR2, GeForce 8600 GTS 256 MB, 320 Gb Maxtor, Logitech wireless

"Super Turrican 2" (SNES) was BADASS, and probably the most Contra-esque game of the series (of which I've only played Ballistic's Turrican on the Genny, and Super & Mega Turrican on their respective systems). It's also one of the most graphically and sonically impressive platformers on the SNES, with "Rendering Ranger" taking the top spot.

They've claimed since the '90's that Super Turrican 2 was never released in the US and only in Europe, South America and whatnot, but I once saw two new copies of the game here on U.S soil for around $20, at a local video game store which I haven't visited in years. They're most likely long gone by now, but yeah the game did somehow leak into the U.S. Also, and I'm still debating as to whether I was dreaming or not, in this same store I SWEAR I saw a regular cart version of "Sonic & Knuckles" (w/ striped label art, VRC rating and all that) in the store's then "high tier bin" of used Genesis games. It looked so real it couldn't have been a pirate.

Back on topic.........the original Turrican seems too "PC-ish" for me when I last tried it out on emu years ago. I much prefer Mega and Super Turrican 1 & 2.

Yeah, I once stumbled across a regular, non-EA cartridge version of Jungle Strike. To this day I don't know what was up with that.

I need to try out Super Turd - I mean, Turrican 2 - again. It's been a loooong time.

Most likely a late '90's Majesco re-release. Bastards re-released a ton of Genesis/SNES titles, many of which were common/crap to begin with. They hoarded those warehouses full of unsold Sega/Acclaim carts and re-used those cart shells for their re-releases.

Turrican is a very poor game, unfortunately it feels like it could have been so much better with some minute tweaking. It doesn't get much better than Hard corps for run and gun action though, Turrican felt sort of in limbo between deciding whether it was a run and gun or a platformer, all in all making it a very strange game
    Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33Ghz, 2 GB Samsung DDR2, GeForce 8600 GTS 256 MB, 320 Gb Maxtor, Logitech wireless

Loves Lori Bazzil! Raging in the Streets 108 Stars's Avatar

Although I have never played it myself, you should try the Amiga-version. For some reason it is said to be much better than the MD-version.
    Factor 5 themselves stated that they were pissed about Ballistic´s port, but had no way of interfering because Accolade had the license. Same goes for Turrican 2 which was edited to be Universal Soldier.

About the "straight-forward" run´n gun: This is exactly why Mega Turrican and even more the Super Turricans are the most disputed of the franchise here; they were too straight forward. The exploration really was one of the major qualities of Turrican 1 & 2.

BTW, there is an EXCELLENT NES-version called Super Turrican that is really a remix of Turrican 1 & 2 and single-handedly coded by one of Factor 5´s members.

Chenjesu of the Alliance Outrunner megabomberman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Knight
    Yeah, I once stumbled across a regular, non-EA cartridge version of Jungle Strike. To this day I don't know what was up with that.
    I actually own one of those, would you like me to show a pic of it, its nothing special though

EDIT: Actually there is nothing at all special about it, the first cartridge I found when I typed Jungle strike into ebay was this

http://cgi.ebay.com/JUNGLE-STRIKE-FO...QQcmdZViewItem
    "Age badly is something women do, games are good or bad when they are released. "

"It's like watching Runic stones by vikings here in Täby: not beautiful compared to Mona Lisa, but damn fine stuff for their time, as Phantasy Star II is, and that is why I enjoy it."

Zebbe speaks on the quality of how 16-bit games hold up against modern counterparts 28/07/07 beautiful

I have the Japanese version of Jungle Strike. It's called Jangle Strike on the cartridge and the box is fatter than Rosie O'Donnel.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Huh. Should've asked about it sooner, I guess. And here I was, thinking it was something special. Ah, well...

Turrican was also released for the Gameboy as well though I do not know the year...

Turrican was released in 1991 for the Lame Boy, I mean; Game boy.

...and for PC Engine.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

The Game Boy version of Turrican is god-awful. The Genesis version is fucking gold compared to it.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

That´s mainly because Ballistic were godawefull programmers I guess.

There is a nice PC-remake available, called Hurrican.

Thread Information