Quantcast

Thread: Does anyone know how to restore SMS mode to a Genesis 3 VA2?

Default Does anyone know how to restore SMS mode to a Genesis 3 VA2?

I already looked through this topic and it helped me restore Game Genie compatibility with my Genesis 3 VA2:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ty-Restoration

But the CPU pin for SMS mode is unknown on the chart (and throughout the topic). Has anyone shed any new light on VA2 mods? I'd really like to add Stereo, S-Video and then lastly SMS mode back to my Genesis 3 (and as I said already I fixed the Game Genie support on it). I'm not worried about adding 32X support, I don't need it. I'll greatly appreciate some help on this, thanks.

Anyone?? Anything??? I have searched far and wide on Google and can't find a thing. Is it virtually impossible to restore SMS compatibility on a Genesis 3 VA2?

I really don't care about 32X/Sega CD support, but I'd like to get more of my money's worth out of a Mega EverDrive X3 if I'm able to play both Genesis and SMS games on my Genesis 3 with it; there's no way I'm buying an SMS and a Master EverDrive, I'd rather go back to a Model 1 or Model 2 Genesis than get an SMS. I guess I may be forced to hunt down a Genesis 2 VA4 again (I had one before). But I really like how much space the Genesis 3 saves, being how small it is.

Edit: I've found some more info, and yeah restoring stereo sound on the VA2 is one heck of a stretch. I'm not even going to attempt it, and restoring SMS support for it is indeed virtually impossible. Guess I'll just get a Model 2 VA4 again for sure some day.
    Last edited by roadkill; 05-02-2017 at 09:28 AM.

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

Genesis 3 VA1 can be made fully compatible, as it has same chipset as MD2 VA4.
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Quote Originally Posted by TmEE View Post
    Genesis 3 VA1 can be made fully compatible, as it has same chipset as MD2 VA4.
    Yeah I've been finding old topics from 2010 and 2011 on Google that lead to this site explaining that very detail you mentioned. The VA2 on the other hand (mentioned by Ace in many old topics here) can really only have Game Genie and VR compatibility restored, along with an S-Video mod but that's about it for the VA2. I learnt that in order to get stereo sound I need to get a special version of the Mega Amp so to speak, seems like too much trouble to go through to get Stereo out of my Genesis 3 VA2, I'll settle for dual mono.

Thanks for the reply though.

If Game Genie won't work on G3 VA1 then it will not work on MD2 VA4 either. All signals are present on VA1, just got to be routed from the ASIC to cartslot. VA2 is missing multiple signals, they're not present at all, including the SMS mode signal.
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

If Game Genie won't work on G3 VA1 then it will not work on MD2 VA4 either. All signals are present on VA1, just got to be routed from the ASIC to cartslot. VA2 is missing multiple signals, they're not present at all, including the SMS mode signal.
    Game Genie doesn't work on the Model 2 VA4? That's news to me, I had no idea. That sucks, is there a way to restore compatibility for it on the Model 2 VA4?

As for the Genesis 3 VA2 missing the signals for SMS mode, that sucks to hear also. But I think I've finally come to terms with not having SMS mode, since I intend on getting the cheapest version of the Mega EverDrive (the one for $50) which doesn't have an SMS pause button on it anyway, so I'll just use my Genesis 3 strictly for Genesis games.
    Last edited by roadkill; 05-03-2017 at 11:15 AM.

I didn't say that it doesn't work on it. I jsut said that if it cannot work on G3 VA1 it cannot work on MD2 VA4 either, but VA4 has all signals there are and thus the VA1 too, so stuff will work.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

I too would love to see an investigation performed on the Genesis 3 VA2. It seems to be a lot more common than the VA1 version. At minimum, SMS mode would be greatly appreciated. 32X is a long shot, but that would be nice too.

Jorge Nuno has made lot of work on it, I'm not sure where his findings are posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    I too would love to see an investigation performed on the Genesis 3 VA2. It seems to be a lot more common than the VA1 version. At minimum, SMS mode would be greatly appreciated. 32X is a long shot, but that would be nice too.
    Same, but more importantly for me I'd like to see more info on how to get Stereo out of the Genesis 3 VA2

I didn't say that it doesn't work on it. I jsut said that if it cannot work on G3 VA1 it cannot work on MD2 VA4 either, but VA4 has all signals there are and thus the VA1 too, so stuff will work.
    Yeah I understood what you meant at first, I just always thought Game Genie worked on the Genesis 2 VA4 without any modification needed. Oh well, it was so easy to restore it on the Genesis 3 that I'm sure it's just as easy to restore on the VA4 as well.

Edit: I don't get why the Game Genie stopped working with newer revisions of the Genesis, it was licensed by Sega so they weren't like Nintendo trying to stop the GG from working (e.g. NES Top Loader, SNES Jr.)
    Or was it no longer licensed by Sega later down the line?
    Last edited by roadkill; 05-04-2017 at 03:06 AM.

Genesis 3 VA1 and 2 just don't connect all the cartslot signals, and VA2 is outright missing some altogether due to totally different ASIC design (which results in some incompatibility with some games). All earlier machines (except Nomad and perhaps MegaJet) connect everything and are compatible with all the peripherals.

Done with Sega-16 (sorta) Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
    Same, but more importantly for me I'd like to see more info on how to get Stereo out of the Genesis 3 VA2
    The Mega Amp fixes that.

Quote Originally Posted by ApolloBoy View Post
    The Mega Amp fixes that.
    Yeah I pretty much figured that out after doing some more research. I may actually go through with that option if it's not too difficult to install.
    Last edited by roadkill; 05-10-2017 at 08:46 AM.

A Light In The Building. Master of Shinobi

Jorge Nuno has made lot of work on it, I'm not sure where his findings are posted.
    Page 12.

Quote Originally Posted by chessage View Post
    Thanks but I've now given up on the Genesis 3 VA2. I finally found another Genesis Model 2 VA4 and am going to use that as my main Genesis now, and will just S-Video mod the Genesis 3, then sell it.

Thread Information