Quantcast

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Street Fighter II Remaster Project

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent avlon's Avatar

I find the changes to be pretty cool. It gives this version its own identity. It will never be "Arcade perfect" anyway, so why not have a little fun with it? Thanks for your hard work Gabriel.

Question for Pyron: Not that I'm asking you to do this, but is it technically possible to "Add" Akuma to any of these home ports? I'm guessing as an alt Ryu color or "invisible" selction box.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Great hack, the font and life bars add something specuial to the game and no one will mistake this for any other version so well done, Color choice is exellent and it feels like there are a lot more colors than what the megadrive could display.

I played the SNES games after the Genesis port so too the people talking about the SNES version it was the little details that were missing that annoyed me about it, the little freeze before they do a winning pose, the missing background objects, the muffle SNES sound on all the tracks(fm sounds better) and with SSF2 on the snes the music not playing through the rounds,DJ not saying 'Max Out' and missing 'round one....Fight!' was a crime. I hated the Mortal Kombat games on the Genesis for all the same missing sounds too.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Stifu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    I think that by your question you are not used to playing fighting games, an example of many others.
    Actually, I am, but I do not believe it is quite the same as in your hack.

In Marvel vs Capcom, for example:
    - The red part has a purpose. It represents life you can recover.
    - Its behavior is natural and smooth, no milestone.

In SF2 Remastered Edition:
    - The red part is eye candy. (In games where you can't recover your life, I expect the red part to disappear after a second, as in SFA.)
    - Its behavior is linked to the milestones I mentioned, which I find unusual. For example, pick Ryu vs Ken. When Ken is at full life, if Ryu hits Ken with a medium punch, the red part on Ken's life bar will be rather big, but if instead Ryu hits Ken with a strong punch, the red part will be small, because the red part passed the next milestone.

I just wonder if that aspect of your hack is intentional, of if it's due to some kind of technical limitation.
    Last edited by Stifu; 07-22-2020 at 02:10 AM.

For great justice! Outrunner Tor Landeel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stifu View Post
    Actually, I am, but I do not believe it is quite the same as in your hack.

In Marvel vs Capcom, for example:
    - The red part has a purpose. It represents life you can recover.
    - Its behavior is natural and smooth, no milestone.

In SF2 Remastered Edition:
    - The red part is eye candy. (In games where you can't recover your life, I expect the red part to disappear after a second, as in SFA.)
    - Its behavior is linked to the milestones I mentioned, which I find unusual. For example, pick Ryu vs Ken. When Ken is at full life, if Ryu hits Ken with a medium punch, the red part on Ken's life bar will be rather big, but if instead Ryu hits Ken with a strong punch, the red part will be small, because the red part passed the next milestone.

I just wonder if that aspect of your hack is intentional, of if it's due to some kind of technical limitation.
    I noticed the same, I'd like to know more about how it's calculated. I also expected to fill back to yellow at some point.
    ***** トル・ランディール ******
    Cadash Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3905/
    Out Run Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3940/

Master of Shinobi

Suggestion: add a note in OP and/or romhacking page on the situation of this hack pertaining to Stef's sound hack, or even original Pyron color one (compatible, already included or else)
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

fun video

Pyron's remaster vs Lord Hiryu's Hyper Champion edition

some quick notes

Blanka stage: Lord Hiryu added more gradation to the sky and the house has more detailed roofing. but Pyron has more colorful clothes for the spectators on the right side

Guile stage: Lord Hiryu has more gradation to the sky, but Pyron's grass background looks more balanced with less clutter

Ryu stage: both gradation of the sky is pretty different. with more contrasting colors on Hiryu's and more subtle ones on Pyron's. I personally prefer Hiryu's one here

Bison stage: the bells are shaded differently with Pyron having more contrast and Hiryu's being more subtle.

which do you guys prefer?

personally among Hiryu's projects I'm more excited over his World Warrior hack he is working on than the Hyper champion edition

Hero of Algol

Lord Hiryu has constantly stolen ideas from Pyron's previews and WIP screenshots or even discussions in threads like this.
    He then proceeds to implement those ideas as quick as possible as if his life depended on it and release it first so he can undermine Pyron's work and basically tries hard to steal his thunder every damn time.

BTW, I know you're probably reading this, Lord Hiryu, so go fuck yourself and get a life for a change.
    There are many MD games in need of improvement hacks, but being the ultimate loser you are you can only try to copy someone else's work.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post
    I find it pretty difficult to believe that snes developers had to sent off recordings for Nintendo to make them samples. Maybe during pre-release development for the system, but otherwise that sounds absurd. Why would Nintendo withhold a simple sample converter for BBR samples?? I tend not to believe stuff I read interviews for these old systems (they over generalize things, and there's usually translation errors).

Yeah, the SNES can be convoluted.. but achieving some of the more complex effects (HDMA system and mode 7), developers seemed to have master it right out of the gate with the release of the console. The bar was probably set quite a bit higher for the snes developers in relation to each other, considering its popularity.
    I don't disagree but I'd say that audio-wise many games make a poor use of the SNES audio chip while make at least a decent use of its graphical features.
    IDK the reason for that, if lack of documentation, tools, freedom or a bit of everything.

Regarding the criticism towards SFII/SFIIT/SSFII on the SNES, I'll just say this: from one game to another Capcom didn't improve the audio driver in a meaningful way. All three games have a single sample stream for voice clips based on 2 SPC IO ports.
    If you compare it to the evolution in MK/MKII/MKIII there's a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    Fascinating.. I'll look into this. (though tile editors and me never really got a long)
    Thanks for the info! (and for your part in this amazing hack!)
    Thanks.
    But I have a very small part in it. 99.999% of the work was made by Pyron.
    I wish I could have helped a bit more; there are still thing that we can work on.
    One cool thing about this hack is how many details it restores/adds to most of the stages. In some cases Pyron hit a hard limit in terms of numbers of tiles that could fit in, but even so, it's a proof of concept in terms of how more balanced and well thought some things could have been done even within the same engine constraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Lord Hiryu has constantly stolen ideas from Pyron's previews and WIP screenshots or even discussions in threads like this.
    He then proceeds to implement those ideas as quick as possible as if his life depended on it and release it first so he can undermine Pyron's work and basically tries hard to steal his thunder every damn time.

BTW, I know you're probably reading this, Lord Hiryu, so go fuck yourself and get a life for a change.
    There are many MD games in need of improvement hacks, but being the ultimate loser you are you can only try to copy someone else's work.
    aw thats too bad if true.
    figure i posted it here since so many are complaining about the life bar and fonts
    (I personally like the changes Pyron made to them).

but I also agree with the sentiment that since there are so many games that could use some upgrades, spread the love around.
    in that sense I like LH's WW color hack since it went in a different direction than Pyron

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Lord Hiryu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post

Hello everybody.
    I don't usually write much in the forums due to lack of time, but given the assertions that Barone has said about me, I find myself in need of exposing my version.
    Never have I stolen anything from pyron's work, I invite you to check both roms, with an emulator like Gens_r57, and observe ALL the differences they have. Although it is true that both are the same game, in my case the objective is to make it similar to the arcade version of CPS1, not the Pyron version.
    Likewise, to say that I once asked Pyron for help to solve the problem at the back of the Zangief stage, and politely, he did not give me that help. No problem with that.

I think the work of Pyron is excellent, but, I think that he didn't have the exclusivity of doing hacks of the SF2 game. More people can do it if they want.

I will repeat it again, the work of pyron and mine are completely different and neither share a single tile, or graphic.
    Likewise, to say that my hack is not only a color hack, but a modification at a graphical level, using hexadecimal, to change and resemble it to the arcade. Like the World Warrior version .... if it was as simple as changing colors, I invite anyone to try it, to see what results it gives. The same applies to my version of SSF2.
    That said, I have nothing more to add, although I do not seek fame or appear on all sides, I do the hacks for the pleasure and for the enjoyment of the community, since I consider that the megadrive is much superior technically than the snes.
    I also appreciate the empathy shown by Barone for his nice words towards me. Thanks.

A greeting.

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

I don't disagree but I'd say that audio-wise many games make a poor use of the SNES audio chip while make at least a decent use of its graphical features.
    IDK the reason for that, if lack of documentation, tools, freedom or a bit of everything.

Regarding the criticism towards SFII/SFIIT/SSFII on the SNES, I'll just say this: from one game to another Capcom didn't improve the audio driver in a meaningful way. All three games have a single sample stream for voice clips based on 2 SPC IO ports.
    If you compare it to the evolution in MK/MKII/MKIII there's a big difference.
    What I'd like to know is if it's possible or practical for the SNES to run the existing SFII SNES ports with their existing soundtracks and full length, normal speed, unedited sfx and voice samples?

If so, what kind of quality would they be be before filtering/reverb? Would they be better or worse than the Mega Drive samples?
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

I'm just happy that Dalsim's stage doesn't have any dithering on the floor. That's always bugged me since day 1.

Raging in the Streets KnightWarrior's Avatar

Lord Hiryu hack of World Warrior is not really World Warrior

Just the Colors are from WW, The move set is still from CE

I just stick to the Street Fighter II Champion Edition Arcade version

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    I'm just happy that Dalsim's stage doesn't have any dithering on the floor. That's always bugged me since day 1.
    That was one of the things that bothered me the most bitd and really made it feel like a rush job.

I still clearly remember the first time I played Dhalsim's stage in SFIISCE. My friend who was also interested in comparing ports was over and we both said something like "what were they thinking?".

With all of that said, the extra content like the intro, restored Guile spectators and animated portraits really impressed us. But it was weird how much polish was missing in many areas while time was spent on superfluous assets.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by KnightWarrior View Post
    Lord Hiryu hack of World Warrior is not really World Warrior

Just the Colors are from WW, The move set is still from CE

well yeah that is obvious

Thread Information