Quantcast

Thread: Is there any way to halt the 68000 without halting the sound as well?

Nameless One

Default Is there any way to halt the 68000 without halting the sound as well?

I recently installed a halt switch on my VA6 Model 1 Genesis system hoping I could use it to get some tracks from a game without SFX in them (as well as use it for games that have no sound test option), and while the halt switch does work, I found that it halts everything including sound which is something I don't need for my purposes, so my question is simple, is there a way to halt the 68000 without also halting the music and if there is how would I go about doing so?

Thanks in advance.

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Depends on the game. Refer to this list, which tells you which sound engine is used by each Genesis game. http://gdri.smspower.org/wiki/index....nd_Engine_List
    Some are listed as 68k or z80. Other are not. Some engines like G.E.M.S. only game in z80 varieties.

Most games have sound driven by the Z80. Some games have sound driven by the 68000. (Sonic 1, Super hang-on, and a lot of early Japanese titles)

In the Z80 driven games, halting the 68k should let the sound continue. I used this method to record the music from Kid Chameleon, since it lacks a sound test.
    In some cases, halting the 68k in a z80 driven game will also freeze the sound. Maybe the two CPUs were communicating at the time of the halt?

Halting the 68k in a 68k driven game will stop the sound 100% of the time.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeOj View Post
    Depends on the game. Refer to this list, which tells you which sound engine is used by each Genesis game. http://gdri.smspower.org/wiki/index....nd_Engine_List
    Some are listed as 68k or z80. Other are not. Some engines like G.E.M.S. only game in z80 varieties.

Most games have sound driven by the Z80. Some games have sound driven by the 68000. (Sonic 1, Super hang-on, and a lot of early Japanese titles)

In the Z80 driven games, halting the 68k should let the sound continue. I used this method to record the music from Kid Chameleon, since it lacks a sound test.
    In some cases, halting the 68k in a z80 driven game will also freeze the sound. Maybe the two CPUs were communicating at the time of the halt?

Halting the 68k in a 68k driven game will stop the sound 100% of the time.
    If it helps the game in question I want to do this for is Puggsy (more specifically the Polly Pirate fight since gunshot SFX play during the beginning part of the song and that part is never played again during the fight itself after the first time).

Thread Information