Quantcast

Thread: 1991 EGM Documentaries From Japan

A Light In The Building. Master of Shinobi

YouTube 1991 EGM Documentaries From Japan

Joined by deaf correspondents, Electronic Gaming Monthly staffers were Hi8 videotaped during the following events:

9th 'Consumer Soft Group' tradeshow (March 24, 1991) [archived]

'Tokyo Toy Show' {Part A} (June 7, 1991) [archived]

'Tokyo Toy Show' {Part B} (June 7 & 8, 1991)

NOT an interview with Tomio Takami at Sega of Japans' Headquarters (September 27, 1991)

10th 'Consumer Soft Group' tradeshow {excerpt} (March 15, 1992)

--

Kudos if you can name all the games shown or translate the sign language & Japanese.
    Last edited by chessage; 08-11-2018 at 04:45 AM.

Banned by Administrators

This looks really good. Thanks again for the links. This your YouTube channel?

Anyway, just watched a bit of the first one so far. At the part where they're about to take their first snapshot, and wow, they sure had an interesting method of doing that back in those days. And as they arrive at the show earlier, the first video game music I hear is Shining in the Darkness town hub jingle - reminding me what a magical time in gaming 1991 was.

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

To be brutally honest, f I could fluently read Japanese and ASL, I wouldn't be spending my day off on discussion forums about old video games. Excellent find, though. Too bad we may never find the tape that proves the existence of Gazuga, and Bill Donahue ain't talking.

Banned by Administrators

Seeing some of the second video, I noticed a Mega Man 4 boss I didn't recognize;

And that's because he wasn't in the final game. So I guess it's nice to see some footage of him in action (even if the dude playing completely had no idea how to beat him). Too bad he was dropped, as this boss looks great and very memorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    This your YouTube channel?
    Nope, it belongs to a deaf filmmaker from Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin Z View Post
    To be brutally honest, [i]f I could fluently read Japanese and ASL, I wouldn't be spending my day off on discussion forums about old video games.
    I know what you mean, but ASL isn't used, they're not Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    So I guess it's nice to see some footage of him in action (even if the dude playing completely had no idea how to beat him).
    It doesn't feel balanced, since you'd have to avoid two attacks simultaneously.

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Txai View Post
    It doesn't feel balanced, since you'd have to avoid two attacks simultaneously.
    What? So you telling me shooter games shooting more then two bullets don't feel balanced because you have to dodge two attacks simultaneously?

Of course not. But in this case, there is no way you can dodge while attacking him. It's a quicksand (no pun intended).

**Update!**

A fifth video was uploaded: a T-30 (32 minute) VHS SP transfer of an 85 minute Hi8 recording of the 1992 'Consumer Soft Group' tradeshow. In addition to some of the tradeshow, a Sega R-360 is also showcased, complete with an attendant/announcer & an eager line of players. Ed Semrad apparently borrowed the original recording without asking and never returned it. However... unfortunately... even the excerpt is now gone!

The uploader, Robert, attempted to ransom the videos and eventually took them down. Fortunately, thanks to the snowball effect caused by this thread, the first two videos reached the Wayback Machine archive. I've left the original links up for reference. He also claimed (IIRC) to have footage of the 1992 'Tokyo Toy Show' that probably won't see the light of day. It's just sad to see some rare pieces of gaming history lost to moodiness.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

It must have been a pain in the arse to take pictures with film back then. You'd never know when you'll get a black bar across the screen.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    It must have been a pain in the arse to take pictures with film back then. You'd never know when you'll get a black bar across the screen.
    That's a digital camera problem. Film was routinely used to record CRTs for decades. Their real issues would've involved exposure problems, consistently centering the shot, & waiting for the film to be developed.

That’s a totally different piece of equipment, and it is synced with the screen.

A regular camera can capture a screen where half of the screen is being refreshed (interlaced) and you’ll end up with the same results as a digital camera. Shutter speed can make a bigger difference, but it can still happen.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

... and it is synced with the screen.
    Not entirely (24 frames can't capture all 60 fields).

A regular camera can capture a screen where half of the screen is being refreshed (interlaced) and you’ll end up with the same results as a digital camera. Shutter speed can make a bigger difference, but it can still happen.
    You mean like this?

According to the link you have for the Kinescope, it is synced with the scan rate of the monitor. Still, I was talking about Ed using a camera with film to take snap shots of screens and having no way of knowing if he caught the image during a full scan. I’m wondering if his camera was snapping 3 to 5 shots with an auto-shutter.

mounted in front of a video monitor, and synchronized to the monitor's scanning rate), or a film made using the process.

According to the link you have for the Kinescope, it is synced with the scan rate of the monitor.
    Read further down:

Because television is a field- rather than frame-based system, however, not all the information in the picture can be retained on film in the same way as it can on videotape. The time taken physically to move the film on by one frame and stop it so that the gate can be opened to expose a new frame of film to the two fields of television picture is much longer than the vertical blanking interval between these fields—so the film is still moving when the start of the next field is being displayed on the television screen. It is not possible to accelerate the film fast enough to get it there in time without destroying the perforations in the film stock—and the larger the film gauge used, the worse the problem becomes.
    Still, I was talking about Ed using a camera with film to take snap shots of screens and having no way of knowing if he caught the image during a full scan. I’m wondering if his camera was snapping 3 to 5 shots with an auto-shutter.
    Perhaps Ed might remember.

Thread Information